Sketchbook: Danny's First Sketchbook (Learning to draw) - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks like the transformer is coming along nicely.

For the portraits their is a nice filter that can help you to check how you organized your values called posterize. http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1252210764 Its really great for checking the lighting, making sure the shapes of the values match the planes you want and just checking the overall read of the image. Its sort of like flipping the canvas, only for value.

For the spoon, maybe a little light reflected back onto the table to show a little bit more interaction between the two.

For the eyes kchen makes good use of a ellipse for the brow that I find very helpful. http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1432 http://www.angelfire.com/art3/kchendemos/

keep up the loomis heads, everything's coming along nicely.

Tenminutedrawing - awesome learn to draw series http://www.youtube.com/user/moatddtutorials
    A short list of my favorite tutorials http://surfandsnow.deviantart.com/journal/22269212/

My Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surfandsnow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks surf I will definitely check on that
    I have some personal problems lately money and such, hope it will get better, was pretty down for few days, just starting to feel a bit better so took my pen and wacom and here's a scribble, not happy with it at all but what tha heck, and some hogarth heads

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Danny_K; December 12th, 2009 at 09:43 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You are right about that freelance stuff you mentioned a while ago, and as long as you have fun too it's ok like that

Nice seeing you do more portraits and like Mr E said, they are great when you view them alone, not with a face, so i think you don't need any tuts, but just some more practice, and perhaps more attention when you draw the shading above them. Not to mention your nose!!
    A bit more anatomy study for the both of us on the nose would be great. You seem to lack confidence when you draw it, especially when i see the shape and strokes on your latest portrait.

And in case you sometimes forget (like i do lol) note that all what you try do draw is 3D, that you should wrap your strokes around the shape, thus avoiding that flat effect.

Take care danny

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Danny, hope your alright, dude. Take care!

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

7. The Following User Says Thank You to krel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that transformer WIP and the spoon are both very impressive. keep it up your improving steadily!

Art and kindness are my weapons of choice.

My Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to badass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well don't DO THAT!! Update later and not mention it! Lawl! I really like the contrast and the shape of those noses

Draw more portraits please!

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's my bud, that's D! Keke
    That alien guy with a shiny staff, has neat feet i must say!
    Well i know what's wrong about those heads, it's actually the way you draw them, you MUST apply the knowledge from loomis, or other books from those early stages, to be honest i forget about it very often myself, but i will fight with it from now on my weapons : Patience, discipline.

Now, lets get to the point of what i mean, you must remmember to analyse the thig you draw as a whole, here's the example

What you did, and we all probably did while studying from bridgeman and othe books, we just COPIED lines, I've understand it finally, but better late than never.
    It's like following a path that someone else has walked before us and we are just trying to fit into his footprints with our own feet. Sure Bridgeman and loomis are great, but for the sake of the cause we must study from life.
    Now mr http://www.iainmccaig.com/ told a story from his own life on one of the gnomon videos. "In the past i used to always have alot of other artists works on my desk, especially Rockwell's, one day i had to draw grass and i've searched for how Rockwell drew grass, and then i realized i have a large field of grass in front of my house i went out. I drew grass from life for the first time, and then i never had other artists works on my desk ever again" now the sentences may be abit different but you get the point. From now on I'll also stop redrawing Bridgeman or loomis, read it, observe sure, do some sketches occasionally, but gett a huge mirror draw yourself draw your wife, draw your lovely daughter Sign ip for life drawing classes. Draw other people, do guirella sketches, don't get compromised! D
    That's my plan also, i can only wish for enough strenght for us both to survive this journey and be great artists some day, NAH I BELIEVE IN THAT!

Here's a motivation buttkick from me, as the one from you also woke me up from beeing a looser state of mind. Art unites!!

P.S i've started saving money so i can go to Cali and study with ya ! ; )

Last edited by Icecold; December 13th, 2009 at 06:42 AM.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Icecold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    〜We all dream of a team of Danny Ks, team of Danny Ks, team of Danny Ks〜

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AAARRRRRRGGGGghhhhhHHhhhh!
    Frack it, I am not giving up even if I need to get 2 jobs I will still find time for my studies. (Bumble bee still WIP)
    Thanks a lot guys for keeping me alive I wouldn't be doing this without the support of you all THankkkk yoouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
    I feel better now, more focused and I am quite happy with this guy, his name is S.T.A.B and he likes ahmm well he likes to play with....knives...

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Danny,
    nice work and really an admireable progress in your sketchbook

I Like the last one - reminds me a little of Riddick.

Keep on the great work.

Help appreciated
    in my

Sketchbook

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadManDancing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahaha he likes playing with knives, ay
    Really really awesome character danny!!
    I love how you made his arms and the metal look is really well done. Thanks for the close up too.

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The face looks pretty nice, and I think Bumblebee has tought you a thing or two about rendering metal, ey? :p Looks solid...solid as a rock(well, metal)!

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    kostas, danny

22. The Following User Says Thank You to krel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shall i use one of his knives to remind you, not to paint on white background!? D

I'd personally decrease the contrast on him abit, there are huge jumps between black and light gray, but other than that he's a decent knife handed maniac muahaha high five o/

Last edited by Icecold; December 15th, 2009 at 06:46 PM.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Icecold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahaha lol yes, ice is right xD i got a bit distracted by the fact that he's more of a value dude, but yes, no pure white backgrounds

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been through your SB here and found it very enjoyable you are progressing and progressing pretty fast! I am sure with the people you have in here guiding you and helping you along you will reach your goals. Keep your eyes on the goal and Dont stop for nothing!

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
    (Albert Einstein)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to latigid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DeadManDancing, BlackDelphin, krel, latigid Thanks!

Ice Ok OK no more white backgrounds...for now... hehe
    I need to calibrate my gamma settings I am going nuts with it I used that link you gave me some time ago and I fell asleep reading all that technical stuff, any ideas any help?

got Bridgemans "guide to drawing from life" from the library and it's like nothing I've ever seen before, I didn't know whats the fuss about Bridgeman until I started studying his work, he's a genius.

Some sketches, and a WIP for a business card I'm doing, critique always welcome, thanks!

Last edited by Danny_K; December 18th, 2009 at 01:24 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies the figures look well weighted and grounded. And i like how the business card is looking too whats the business is it travel perchance??

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
    (Albert Einstein)

31. The Following User Says Thank You to latigid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dang!! Now i reallywant even more to get a bridgman book i can touch!
    Really nice studies danny!

And the card idea seems interesting so far! Though i can't quite understand it yet..
    Lovely horizon in the cactus piece.

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Icecold View Post

Now, lets get to the point of what i mean, you must remmember to analyse the thig you draw as a whole, here's the example

What you did, and we all probably did while studying from bridgeman and othe books, we just COPIED lines, I've understand it finally, but better late than never.
    It's like following a path that someone else has walked before us and we are just trying to fit into his footprints with our own feet. Sure Bridgeman and loomis are great, but for the sake of the cause we must study from life.
    Now mr http://www.iainmccaig.com/ told a story from his own life on one of the gnomon videos. "In the past i used to always have alot of other artists works on my desk, especially Rockwell's, one day i had to draw grass and i've searched for how Rockwell drew grass, and then i realized i have a large field of grass in front of my house i went out. I drew grass from life for the first time, and then i never had other artists works on my desk ever again" now the sentences may be abit different but you get the point. From now on I'll also stop redrawing Bridgeman or loomis, read it, observe sure, do some sketches occasionally, but gett a huge mirror draw yourself draw your wife, draw your lovely daughter Sign ip for life drawing classes. Draw other people, do guirella sketches, don't get compromised! D
    That's my plan also, i can only wish for enough strenght for us both to survive this journey and be great artists some day, NAH I BELIEVE IN THAT!

Here's a motivation buttkick from me, as the one from you also woke me up from beeing a looser state of mind. Art unites!!

P.S i've started saving money so i can go to Cali and study with ya ! ; )
    I know exactly what you mean man and you are right, when I draw from a book I always try to think why does those lines go there and I imagine myself what kind of muscle group is beneath that plane and so on, that way I am not just pointlessly copying I try to learn in the process. I also draw from my head as I go to see what I learned so far.

Drawing from life is the best no doubt man, but you must agree with me my friend that books are a cheap and fast way of studying, I mean those figures has been studied and the poses are there for us to draw and if they are anatomically correct like bridgeman's is then it's a good thing to learn from them, eventually you develope a style of your own it comes naturally but you gotta start somewhere, and besides can you afford a model so many times to study? I sure cant! LOL
    It's a dilema many artists have, so we end up sticking with the books eventually :/ but hey it works just as good as long as you understand what your doing.
    Thanks for the post man.

latigid Thanks mate, it's an business card for a restaurant actually, the owner which is also a close friend of mine owns two restaurants, one in Mojave desert the other in Tehachapi.

BlackDelphin thanks thanks! I'm glad you like it, the idea is simple two locations for the two restaurants one in the desert the other in the mountains and a mayan face statue in the middle to make things interesting, it was her Idea not mine, she is very talented besides the fact she is a restaurant owner.

Last edited by Danny_K; December 18th, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Danny, how's it going bud? Sorry to hear you've been down recently man, happens to everyone at some point. But as Bobby Chiu says it's all just a big test for us and the harder we work to get through it the stronger we become at the other side. So keep going, think positive and you'll deffo have more energy for your studies!! Though I think you're doing that already

Not much I can crit on, all the work's good practice. If you're doing a bunch of anatomy, spend some time after with a blank page and draw some from memory, I find it easier to block out all sound, turn music off or whatever and try and concentrate in the quiet and really think about the muscle placements, flow and rhythms of the body and all the curves that go with. Of course, everyone different - I just find the memory is great and really concentrating makes it easier!

Keep at it bro!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexTooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bridgman studies lookin sweet! The one to the left you draw from memory looks really good too

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    kostas, danny

39. The Following User Says Thank You to krel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooh i see! so those are the two locations!!

i think that statue covers up a ot of space in the middle so it is quite important how you finish that left side.
    be careful

and about what alex said, i personally can't draw for a long time without music, and i always leave something on a low volume, nature sounds or something, but instead i close cA pages, otherwise i end up browsing lol, get my mobile phone away from me and close anything but photoshop really, especially those chat programs!

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am in LOVE with the Battlestar Galactica inspired piece (with the planet at the bottom and the small battleships)!

It's truly incredible to browse another artist's sketchbook from the beginning and watch them progress I enjoyed your thread.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to goldilockz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AlexTooth Heya thanks buddy, I do know what you mean about just having peace and quiet for yourself to study, unfortunately that's a luxury I don't have right now, the only time I can do studies is late at night when after my daughters bed time, but who's complaining?! I will kick ass!

krel Spasiba ( thanks in Russian)

BlackDelphin I am exactly like that, I can't draw without music, it's just part of me, and I always end up browsing around CA myself and drifting away instead of studying, I will do the same as you, just close everything!
    I will get more work done hehe

goldilockz thanks! hope to see you here again

Progress on the business card, any suggestions are welcome

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your daughter for yesterday and yeah my boy tends to rearrange everything and i mean everything! The update on the card with the train track seems to lead my eye away and out of the card itself but im no expert on these things. I suppose its gonna make a big difference where the logo or lettering is going to be placed presuming there will be some. Also thought that the join between the two scenes would be better placed right in the centre of the mask not sure if i am helping so i will shut up now!

(Albert Einstein)

45. The Following User Says Thank You to latigid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe well do tell me if it worked! And if not, what did you do to get it done
    The card is coming along nicely! And i think that's a lovely idea with the tracks. Perhaps try to stretch them a tad more towards the mountains, but still in that angle. See how that would look. Or..hmm..just a thought, witch could be terribly wrong but, have you considered taking thosae tracks towards the mountains and between them?

Ooh! and you remember to flip the image,no?

Awaiting that update already!!

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude you have great ideas, but i think when it comes to the execution you need to slow right down. when you paint really try consider what your trying to achieve with your strokes and then meet that goal in as few strokes as possible.

dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Nrx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Iiiiiiiceeey's here!

Greetings D, well we wanted to do a collab long time ago, so i thought it's quite a right time. Well and sometimes image can describe more than 1000 words.
    So here it is, my three cent's in this buisness card, you can use it and do whatever you wish with it, it's your idea!! Have fun, like i had and that liquified version with funny expression shows it i guess ^^

Last edited by Icecold; December 20th, 2009 at 06:28 PM.

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Icecold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    only one thing I have to say
    It's gorgeous!!!!!@1111111 I'm gonna use this as my Avatar! hHEheehehe

Unfortunately that's not the direction she wanted, I had to change the mask to something happier, and the landscape has to relate and look like the actual places. this is what I got so far.
    Thanks a lot for the support guys I love you all!!

Last edited by Danny_K; December 20th, 2009 at 07:20 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny_K View Post
    only one thing I have to say
    It's gorgeous!!!!!@1111111 I'm gonna use this as my Avatar! hHEheehehe
    Danny said it all! But i'm not going to use it as my avatar ahahah

Really bood job ice!! I definitely like the yellowy flow you added to the mask and you balanced the image pretty well too!
    And that second version you made with the liquefy tool has a 'huuh?! you want something from ME?!!!' look ahahah awesome

Now lets see you finish up the card too danny!!!

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 161