Sketchbook: Danny's First Sketchbook (Learning to draw) - Page 34
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1150

Thread: Danny's First Sketchbook (Learning to draw)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again danny, I think its the second time you mentioned my lighting is sort of sinking in. P.S love that woman standing by the pillar rough.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like someone's been making big progress since i've been here lastly.
    Nice, really nice progress with the landscapes and the quick figures are an eye treat as well.
    Good to see you progressing danny!

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LtPlissken what an honor, you opened page 34 in my sketchbook with an epic reply, all I can say is WHOA! thanks buddy you made my day, truly.

"#974 The portrait with a strangely positioned
    head came out very good, plus the Rocket Explosion is very exciting, is
    that you on the video? "

Yes thats me LOL

I really thank yo for the honesty and the effort that you put in analyzing and pointing out problems and helping out, tons of thanks bro! RESPECT.

Chris Sanders Thanks man, hope you like the finished version.

BlackDelphin My goodness my eyes must be fooling me, Christina! where have you been?! so good to see you again, thanks for the warm feedback I need all the good words I can get because I feel like I am stuck in one spot and at times I get depressed from how hard it is to become better at art... sheesh if any one would tell me how much you need to learn and practice to become a professional I would just become a truck driver from the start. hope to see you updating too!

Obstfelder That was what I was thinking, every one always do the same thing, sexy elves with cleavages...

Icecold Thanks bud, always good to hear advice and a good word from you, update more yourself. and the book holder I ordered from amazon; http://www.amazon.com/Book-Stand-Boo...rds=book+stand
    Its an excellent book stand I am very pleased with it.

finished the chow, colors got messed up so I left it in B&W... I need tons of color studies, gotta add it to the other million things I need to practice on...

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Danny_K; July 16th, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    client work and gesture thumbs to experiment and find the best looking pose for the character.

Last edited by Danny_K; July 19th, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 min gestures and a doodle turned into a rough painting, her pose and anatomy has problems and its all wonky.

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, good updates. Your faces are looking better and better.

These gesture studies are rockin'...got some really good stuff there. However I
    would suggest, at least as an exercise to try, for such short poses concentrate
    purely on the gesture. Don't let the contours and silhouette, distract from that.

Try to find the longest line you can trace through the figure, or try to break it
    down into one or two shapes, using again as few lines as possible. See the various
    flows through the figure and make a note of where they add together, or where
    they change direction or fight against each other.

Name:  2minute-gestures BludHund markup.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  471.6 KB

That underlying visual energy, as well as the basic body language (in more natural
    poses) should really be what you get out of really short poses. The other advantage
    of trying this practice is that it will help you to feel comfortable with drawing more
    slowly. Make each and every line mean something.

On the Sci Fi pinup ChOW: maaan, I really liked your initial design better. The one
    you went with isn't terrible, but IMO its not nearly as good as the first one.

Name:  CHOW#294_Danny_K_ Process - BludHund  markup.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  406.8 KB

Particularly I think the original pose had far more energy.

1. the overall shape (in blue) is much more direct and more dynamic

2. In the original design she is balanced on one foot and her gun...that uncertain
    balance give sit more energy, plus you have the pressure of her weight concentrated
    on one foot, giving a sense of tension, plus you have the gun repeating the top-to-
    bottom diagonal reinforcing, creating rhythm.

2. The lifted right foot gives the image a playful body language and her gripping the
    heel with her finger gives both another source of tension energy and also shows off
    her sexy boots

Also the figure itself: In the final you added a tool pouch that obscures a great
    contouring element
    that gives her butt and hip a great sense of form. Also her waist
    became thicker and more visually mixed-up with her left arm.

The only thing I do like about the final version is the way the composition leads you
    back to her face and her gaze. Overall the kind of sinuous composition in the final is
    effective for composition, to tell a story, but it doesn't have the same aesthetic
    energy of the original design.

On this last image: anatomically the only thing I notice is that her boobs are not
    attached properly to her torso
    . Its like the old nose sliding off the face problem.

As to her pose, the problem is that she looks 'fly-swatted' her limbs are to balanced.
    There's nothing that really leads the eye in one direction or another. By just moving
    any one of her limbs into a different pose I think you can fix this.

You should check out Chris Hattala's video on posing. Its got some good stuff in it.

Keep it up man, you're getting better with every update. Relentless!

Last edited by BludHund; July 22nd, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
    sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BludHund For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "got to add it to the million other things i have to study" well that sounds a bit depressing
    on its own don't be! think of it as this. there is a very looooooong staircase, but you're
    always taking one step at a time! so try to remember the fun Danny, don't overlook it!
    Art must be a pleasure to do, not a chore, a list you have to tick something off it, finish a
    peace to start a new one. I was there, it's not pretty. Progress comes harder then, than
    it would in a normal way.

As for the last posts, look at your figures now! So much better. And you colours aren't
    there yet, sure, but they will. My 2 cents after working with value to colour, it doesn't
    work that simple. You have to paint on top as well, and you need the right colours to do
    it. I found it in the end that it is much more pleasant and easy to start with colours from
    the start. But if you choose to go this path and to explore it further, then good for you!
    Just think positive! Your values are good, getting better and better, nice mood, and nice render.
    It's not bad ass but heck! It's good. Just keep working on it.
    Post #996 the second drawing is a good example of awesome values you're doing now.
    It has potential. Keep going!

As for me, be sure i'm trying to update as much as i can, cheers

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I originally liked the COW you did until BludHund pointed out the differences. And I must say that is a brilliant point. After looking at them I could tell my eye was favoring the one of her with a gun over the floating machine. Though I still like the second one I think you should totally do a character with the same energy as that first one.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Hidalgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, nice dedication ! keep working on your values. Well, not really the values, but more the mood/light stuff. you know how to render the forms of each body part, but now you have to think of the painting as a whole, try to define a better light source for your character designs, it seems that it's coming from everywhere at the same time. Also, the light situation is also here to help for the storytelling, even on a character design, nothing is puted on the canvas without some consciousness and purpose ! anyway, keep it up dude, you're on the right path !

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BludHund Thanks for the detailed analyses, you pawn. I agree that the first sketch had more gesture and interest to it, I guess I just need to get better at recognizing whats good and sticking to it, I was just not sure about the hand touching the ankle thought it makes no sense.

BlackDelphin Thanks, I am drawing and painting as much as I can recently so hopefully cool stuff are on the way, it really surprises me to as little as you draw and paint and how good your sketches and color works look, maybe you should quit medicine and become an illustrator? just a suggestion

Pete Hidalgo yeah, my bad with the choice of gesture, better luck next time

kikindaface Thanks bro, persistence is key, practice practice practice thats the only way to mastery and some studies too

Been getting some freelance work lately so I barely have any time for any thing personal and I have tons of ideas and stuff I wanna do. I want to start doing some coolish environment stuff so hopefully I will start doing those in the next week or two. mean while here's some sketches and wolf studies I was doing for a fantasy comic book which is awesome and I can't wait to post it when it's done

Cheers!
    -D

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those wolf studies are beautiful...great lines and shapes, great sense of design and flow.

sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man, now that I draw animals I always remember what you told me about breaking the shapes down just as with humans, man, it helps so much so thanks a bunch for your help.

Client work, studies and sketches.

Cheers!

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    almost done with this one, having a blast with this project and learning a lot in the process.

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wolf concept for the fantasy comic project

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    refless sketch

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In the mood for a crit? The forehead is the same value at the top as it is near the top of the brow ridge. This means it's not rolling back in space. That would be fine if the shape of the hairline indicated the volume.

You may disagree, but I'm a firm believer in getting the volumes right before all else... thick/thin lines, values, etc... those are support elements IMO.

I came across a great exercise a few days ago where you draw the contours of a 3D box in space... no interior lines allowed, no alternating thickness... but the box still has to read as a volume. It's a great exercise.

The best things to show volume when I'm having trouble are the elemental building blocks of form: box, cone, sphere. And these shapes can be sliced up, fit into each other, etc, in many ways. As long as these shapes are symmetrical, it's easy to keep track of them. If you need a complex, assymetrical shape? Build it out of smaller symmetrical shapes, because you can control the lighting, volume, etc on all of those (once you've mastered them).

tbh I'm still building these visualization skills, too... but I'm making some good hay right now and thought you might benefit too.

Also: re this pic... visualize the nose as a pyramidal shape, almost like a gold brick shape. The underside of the nose should be a single down-plane... and you can build the wings of the nostrils off of that. The filtrim is a little off because of the underside of the nose.

Take care and keep working. You've already proven that you're moving in the right direction... and moving pretty quickly.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

24. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, long time no see. I think you're goin too much into lines, try out to paint in volumes, pics like that usually have more depth and casual stokes. And dont be so accurate with detailing it seems like you're renderin things one by one, try to think of whole picture while painting. Try to let the elements interact with each other. Like the hair of the girl, u could let it describe her head shape better, add shoulders to put them on and not just let it down like that. The way u did is more like a graphic solution... anyway it was just an example, hope u got the idea XD

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Creusa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p sage I'm always up for critique, this is why I'm here for
    I agree with you that face has many problems due to late night sketching and my thinking was close to 0. thanks for the comments.

Creusa Thanks

fantasy environment rough's I did these after watching Feng Zhu's episode #56 it inspired the heck out of me. no reference for any of these.

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here we are with a new look for CA.org, still trying to get used to the cool gray from the warm cream color it used to be.

Well we are probably on the verge of war with Iran and maybe even WW3 and I hope people have been doing preparations in case they need to leave the house in a hurry, I know I am... heck you need to have an emergency kit in your car and house just in case any disaster hits such as hurricane or an earth quake. there's some really useful information put up by people on youtube on how to prepare for disasters and how to survive in emergency situations. don't be scared be prepared...

as far as art goes... here's some recent stuff.

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

kojot is offline Please!! simple english ^^ Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I make really great progress since first page
    Keep in mind to focus more on core and cast shadows to show more form in your paintings

30. The Following User Says Thank You to kojot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ohh client work eh? great to see you've found a customer :]
    I will say it again but looking at those wolf studies, it's just... soo good.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Icecold For This Useful Post:

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice pencils, Danny.

Oh, and this is always relevant
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es0d7DhwIoo

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

34. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dude what's up? Last post in september, are you still alive and healthy?
    Hope to see more stuff of you soon because everytime I come to one of our sketchbook threads the recent stuff has improved.

Your Linework got better! And your environments are good too, but I think you need to think more in a very basic form of composition (which I tried and figured out the last few weeks). Just single color foreground, background, midground and then only add important things. This way it works better for me (so it does not HAVE to fit for you but could help you probably too).
    Anyway keep it up mate!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you gor the kind words every one, I am well and alive and stepping up my game now so expect tons of updates. I lost my intuos 3 wacom pen!! what a bummer but I found a small wacom graphite tablet with a pen for 25$...! only in USA you can find such bargains, anyway it should do until I order I new intuos3 pen... $53 on Amazon! man I gotta stop losing stuff, lost my car and house keys few weeks ago too, thank goodness my wife has spares for all of them, I lost my bluetooth too, and my wrist watch and...lets see my head is still on my shoulders so I guess thats a good thing.

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent work! not done looking through your sb but its obvious you are putting in the work! keep it up!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Kevin

Movie still study
    Name:  fghgf.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  182.0 KB

Trying to apply what I learned from the study kinda, mehhh
    Name:  goldknighthead.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  282.6 KB

Movie studies from sketchbook
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  131.3 KB

Still messing around with this painting, about time to finish it, critique and tips always welcome
    Name:  Keenah.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  446.3 KB

Last edited by Danny_K; November 1st, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketches

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So much construction, so many figures, landscapes and co since i've last been here!
    Someone's improving in here, and i mean YOU

Medicine and art are my passion, and I'm mixing them to get the great results i'm getting

No crits this time, you're doing the right things, not all i want from you is MORE!
    Good seeing you keep this sketchbook alive.

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Chris! awesome to see you back once in awhile art forevaaaaa!

nice idea weak execution, thauht I'd upload it anyway, heck this is a sketchbook after all
    Name:  dragon.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  233.1 KB

Sketch turned a portrait, level up for me for sure
    Name:  portrait.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  233.4 KB

Movie study, spartacus blood and sand
    Name:  spartacus27-May.-05-18.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  257.7 KB

silly practice from memory
    Name:  heads.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  148.5 KB

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    started as a doodle and an experimentation with different brushes and effects and ended as a portrait

4 hours Photoshop CS3
    Name:  exp2.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  301.7 KB

Color study
    Name:  the_silence_of_thunder_by_foureyes-d5emtg-copy.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  257.4 KB

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 160