Bura Gore: Rise Of Rhan'eh'eyll character
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Bura Gore: Rise Of Rhan'eh'eyll character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bura Gore: Rise Of Rhan'eh'eyll character

This is a character I've got for my "Video Game: Design, Theory, and Practice" class. Doing a lot of the practice lately .

Grudilan- He's somehow the buddy of the main character of my story... they get all evil... it really doesn't matter, unless anyone wants to know. He's not supposed to be a big deal, but more of a support character. Hope this reflects that.

First image is an illustration and a turn-around of Grudilan. Second image is what Grudilan becomes after Rhan'eh'eyll (main character who turns evil... again, not that important unless you care) finds him slain after the battle of... some huge industrial city... not important.

They were done some time apart. I'm just kind of hoping it's somewhat apparent they were at once the same thing? Eh?

Attached Images Attached Images    
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The turn-around images look really good
    The after-evil process made the guy a little short Lol, or maybe his body is a little wide from the torso region

Its nice

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ShuvoYoshi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, so you're up pretty late, too eh?

Thanks for the comment! Second one was supposed to be one of those "more creature than human" things... I don't know if that's really a bother to the proportions of the first one? Hm.

So... if anyone would feel so inclined... the point was brought up... a bother? Not a bother? Feasible?

Thanks for lookin' anyone who sees this. Thanks more for critiques and/or comments.

AND- if anyone knows anything about the easiest way to go about turnarounds I'd love to hear it. That side view was a hassle, and I think I need one of the other side, too, don't I? The things you think of when you're about to sleep...

Last edited by Quigleyer; March 18th, 2009 at 03:02 AM.
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, well even if it says im in aussy, im currently in Saudi Arabia, and ill be moving to Aussy in a few weeks so i didnt bother to write Saudi Arabia as my current location - Which means, lol, its 11 am here XD

i get ur point now, and id really like to emphasize on the Story
    i.e.
    i wanna hear more if u wudnt mind, cuz it sounds interesting XD

and about the creature-like look of the charecter, yes i guess the evil turn affected his proportions hehe, it just seems off when placed beside the original, otherwise its great (basically i mean its ok since the evil guy will appear later in game lol)

take care

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK. HAHA. But I swear... I will sleep after this. I get a bit of insomnia after I finish something. I keep looking at the illustration and the turnaround and seeing things that don't match up that I thought matched up.... but I dunno if it's that HUGE a deal... since one is more a depiction of a character and illustration and the other is a turn-around, meant for modeling. Or.... maybe meant for a portfolio...

In the fictional country of Bura-Gor (and no, it's NOT supposed to have an "E" at the end, I messed up the title, too) machines that make life simpler for everyone are powered by an ore, a natural resource found abundantly on the eastern side of the country. They till fields, clean streets, etc.

As the natural resource began to run out the eastern side of the country began to stockpile it in a futile attempt to keep their lives easier. The western cities received less and less ore from the merchants in the caravans and eventually west realized something was up.

Not too soon after that small raiding parties began to cross over the river that seperates the east and west and ambushing and pirating the caravans that ran the ore between the eastern cities.

Most notable for his "valor" was a country boy, named Rhan'eh'eyll (Ron-Ha-Yell). Soon after war broke out he began to lead militia into battle and putting together sieges of the cities farthest west on the east side.

Eventually an industrial super-city (have to check my writing for the name later on... yay fantasy name generator!) was laid siege by Rhan's forces and his best friend, Grudilan (yeah, that guy up there) was found all but dead after a couple of skirmishes with the other guys. Rhan lost it, ordering a full siege into the city. After his army raped and pillaged and did all of that siege stuff (completely KILLING everyone... well almost completely... I'm sure some can get away or whatever) Rhan'eh'eyll takes a small party and travels to the north lands, where the "uncivilized" tribe folk live. There he meets their chief and, after agreeing to a union with his daughter, Jahapody, the tribe uses their power to resurrect Grudilan. It's about this time you're supposed to understand that Rhan is exploring Necromantic magics.

As Jahapody spends more time with Rhan on sieges and stuff she begins to influence him and turn him into one bad sucker.

Moving on (I'm just covering the basics... this is my escapist hobby) later a few years, Rhan'eh'eyll wins the war through the use of necromancers (only way he can beat the machines of the west) and soon after bans the practice of necromantic magics.

It's here the story goes into spin-off mode and Rhan'eh'eyll must do battle with the "final" necromancer, kills him... rules his country for a while until a young man by the name of Garian comes into the story and... well it's almost a different story at this point, so I'll stop here.

Sorry if you read all of that. You should see the amount of shit I wrote for this... like I said- escapist hobby.

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually like the story =D

and the part about resurrecting into an evil form is great XD

im having these random imagination clips going thru my head rite about now hehe

is Rhan drawn? id like to see
    btw, is there a romantic sequence somewhere in this story or is it totally about war and etc. o.o

what about environment? have you drawn or thought of any yet?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ShuvoYoshi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Btw, thanks for posting the story, lol
    i enjoyed it ^^

tc and have fun

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    whats night owl hope you dont mind but the more evil guy seems a bit short hes only about 5 heads tall couse' people were shorter back then i really like his design an this is just an idea an im just toss'n in my 2 cents i really like it so if you have anymore id like to see em' cheers

Attached Images Attached Images  

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grandmassa-

That does look a shit ton better. thanks man. Transform, eh? Your 2 cents is worth at least a hundred dollars with a 5% compound biannual interest to me (yeah, so I'm taking a 'simple' math class ).

Shuvoyoshi-

There was no "love" in the story, really. He eventually goes crazy and uses the undead of the town he slaughtered when Grudilan died to overrun the capital city. I suppose undead versus machines? Now I'm gonna go through and fit "love" into the story. Thinking about a girl, blah blah, Rhan gives her up for his vengeance because he has to form a bond with the evil chick. Haha. Actually... I'll see. Vengeance gets in the way of all?

Rhan was drawn... somewhere between Klaus Kinski and the lead "singer" of the metal band Behemoth. I'll see if I can't find it... I don't remember it being that great. I still need to do "good Rhan" though.

Thanks guys.

Anyone else wanna take a stab at it? Grandmassa and 'Yoshi really helped out with me seeing the proportions just didn't work, I'd love to hear more. Gotta fix the second one anyway.

Last edited by Quigleyer; March 18th, 2009 at 12:21 PM.

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    XD Nice though about the love part lmao

Well, i love ur work, seen ur sketchbook, and im eager to see more, lets hope the good Rhan comes soon lol

tc and have fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuvoYoshi View Post
    XD Nice though about the love part lmao

Well, i love ur work, seen ur sketchbook, and im eager to see more, lets hope the good Rhan comes soon lol

tc and have fun
    It's just something I've never thought about until you said something, after you had me post the layman's version of the story. So... in a way you gave me another idea of a way I can make this story better... and I'm really havin' it.

Any critique or comment will due, and I really appreciate it.

My work is still fairly immature, in my honest opinion. I'm working on it. I think I'm doing fine until I compare myself to some of the people around here. I'm a huge closet fan of Kev Ferrera's work, but can only admire it... he takes his work in a completely different direction than I take mine. He also shows a "maturity" that I strive for in his work.

That aside- check out the work of Greg Staples, Matt Dixon, any of the Massive Black (specifically Coro... has a graphic novel he's pluggin' at I hear) guys, any arenanet (guildwars) guys, Jon Hodgeson, Brom, etc. and you might get an idea of what I CAN'T do yet . I'm workin' at it though.

Thanks again Yoshi and Grandmassa.

By the way- if you look at this Grandmassa... where did all of your images go? You had like a million... like two a day... where'd you go homie?

By the way Yoshi- I did do a couple of environments. Not a lot worth showing, but I'll re-do a couple. My environment work is lacking, and I've been doing a lot of looking in finally finished and such (it's REALLY a useful tool for us beginners!) to try and get a knack for what's up. Haven't had time to re-do any yet, though.

Here are the links (they're in my sketchbook).

Rhen'gall- the mysterious temple in the northlands where Rhan gains his necromantic powers
    http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...veFINALSAT.jpg
    Large "death camp". It's an ore mine... as they mine the ore the cliff breaks away... eventually it will fall and all workers inside will die.
    http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...-2_bakpost.jpg
    Here's Evil Rhan's face, subject to change.
    http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Facesample.jpg

Yoshi- you got any work for the showin'? You get a lot better once you get owned a few times on here, so if you don't think you're any good- it honestly doesn't matter . Regardless of skill this place helps all. Everyone's always like... "I miss school you don't get critiques anymore." I get just as good of a critique on here as I do in any class. Just gotta wait around for people who are busy to see your stuff.

Last edited by Quigleyer; March 18th, 2009 at 12:33 PM.

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice designs both...but it's really, really hard to tell that they're the same person. That may be what you're going for, but I think it'd be better to have some connection.
    Perhaps add an accessory present in both (Amulet, bracelet, collar?), this would suggest a connection.
    As for the evil-fied version, it is a tad short. If you were going for an animalistic look, make his stance hunched over instead of his figure physically shortened. Otherwise, good ideas you have.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tangleworm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangleworm View Post
    Nice designs both...but it's really, really hard to tell that they're the same person. That may be what you're going for, but I think it'd be better to have some connection.
    Perhaps add an accessory present in both (Amulet, bracelet, collar?), this would suggest a connection.
    As for the evil-fied version, it is a tad short. If you were going for an animalistic look, make his stance hunched over instead of his figure physically shortened. Otherwise, good ideas you have.
    SO- the general consensus of what I've seen is:

They REALLY don't work as the same person.

Tangleworm:

Hunching him over! And that I'll do. I'm going to probably re-do the resurrected/evil version for the same class (I've got free reign, and a lot of things I want to do... and a good reason to do them!). I'm going to keep the basic helmet design for him, and maybe I'll see if I can incorporate that eye in somewhere... or give the other version that girdle and pauldron the human version has. Still want to keep him barefoot, though... works better for desert walking and he does a lot of that after he dies, so I think.

Thanks a ton guys.

I pretty much understand at this point that the two don't work well with each other, but if anyone has any more comments to make please go ahead and make them.

Thanks for anyone who looks and/or comments/critiques.

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Q, ive seen the pieces and ell they're very impressive, just that the Death Camp looks a litte flat. I dono lol, cant really explain because i dont know a lot of terms (hehe)
    I like where this is going ^^

Yoshi- you got any work for the showin'? You get a lot better once you get owned a few times on here, so if you don't think you're any good- it honestly doesn't matter . Regardless of skill this place helps all. Everyone's always like... "I miss school you don't get critiques anymore." I get just as good of a critique on here as I do in any class. Just gotta wait around for people who are busy to see your stuff.
    I havent started a sketchbook yet lol (maybe in a few days once i get the stuff arranged)

and i started a topic in Crititice C. : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=153056

Well i need to work on Anatomy ^^ hehe, so yeah, it will take some time be4 i post some new stuff

tc and have fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I added a Sketchbook Lol

Heres the link: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=153128

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the turnaround pre-gone bad, that guy sure has one big forehead! It's like you tried to cram all his facial features safely below the lower half of the head, which is now giving him a very cramped look. So i'd see about changing the proportions there. Same goes for the portrait or howdyacallit of him. With an upturned angle like that you'll see the eyebrow almost coming to the top of the head. The post-gone bad version's okay for me (he'll probably have trouble holding cutlery but oh well), but yeah, not much of a connection between the two.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to walnut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by walnut View Post
    In the turnaround pre-gone bad, that guy sure has one big forehead! It's like you tried to cram all his facial features safely below the lower half of the head, which is now giving him a very cramped look. So i'd see about changing the proportions there. Same goes for the portrait or howdyacallit of him. With an upturned angle like that you'll see the eyebrow almost coming to the top of the head. The post-gone bad version's okay for me (he'll probably have trouble holding cutlery but oh well), but yeah, not much of a connection between the two.
    Just checked the proportions to make sure.

He does have one hell of a forehead. Thank you!

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.