DUBSTEP - Discuss

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DUBSTEP - Discuss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

DUBSTEP - Discuss

Let's hear it...

Who are you currently listening to?

Me? Sukh Knight's got my full attention. Benga too.

There was some siiiick dubstep at the SXSW party in Austin. ALL night. Amazing.

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After watching Massive Black's Youtube videos I started listening to Djunya, he is so sick. I love reggae music so dubstep naturally grew on me, love the bass. Some of my favorite artists so far are Kromestar, Distance, F1, Tes La Rok, Rusko, Skream, and Emalkay, and I'm constantly looking for new artists. So if you know of some with funky bass drops, or just hard hitting wobbling bass let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hemP View Post
    After watching Massive Black's Youtube videos I started listening to Djunya, he is so sick. I love reggae music so dubstep naturally grew on me, love the bass. Some of my favorite artists so far are Kromestar, Distance, F1, Tes La Rok, Rusko, Skream, and Emalkay, and I'm constantly looking for new artists. So if you know of some with funky bass drops, or just hard hitting wobbling bass let me know!
    I saw Skream and Excision as well as a few others this summer at Shambhala. The sub bass is unbelievable on huge speakers. I had a water bottle on the dance floor, and I was choking every time I tried to drink it, hahah. A few people actually left and threw up...maybe slightly excessive?

Hemp, get a super hard-hitting wobbly mix here, by Excision. It's the one I heard this summer.: Excision Definitely get the Shambhala 2008 mix at the top.

As for funky(er) stuff, Scuba is always great. He's not what I would call generic dubstep, mixes it up alot. I didn't really like it at first, but it's been growing on me...especially with my speakers cranked.

Here are some mixes from Scuba:

Scuba XLR8R mix: this one's my favourite of his, also least the dubsteppy. The last ten minutes rock pretty hard, though.

Scuba mixes

p.s. These mixes are all straight from the artists/record labels, no pirating.

Last edited by Oden; March 18th, 2009 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Better links

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Oden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah Oden I see you corrected yourself fast lol, the record label links directly to that site anyway so I think it's all good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    check out boxcutter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tipper
    Skeetaz
    edIT
    Kraddy
    An-Ten-Nae
    Djunya
    Suff-X
    Dub Trio

to name a few. I've picked up a few compilations that have been decent

Clipping Paths
    Bad Vol2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Niiice, hadn't heard of Boxcutter or Djunya before, me likes. Good thread.

Continuing in the theme of free, legit downloadable awesome dubstep mixes,
    this is one of my favourite dubstep mixes ever. It's nice n' glitchy, reggaeish...

Taal Mala Lighta Sound System Mix

Mixed by Taal Mala, and all the tracks in there (aside from the Skream at the beginning, obviously) were produced by Taal Mala, or the other dudes from Lighta Sound System. There's a Burial remix in there as well.

Last edited by Oden; March 18th, 2009 at 01:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a really good local duo called Hermitude from Sydney, Oz. If you can get your hands on their stuff you'll be a happy chappy. I'm sure you can get their stuff from Amazon.
    Also I think there's some good radio mixes, available for free. http://www.dubstep.fm/ in the archives section. also http://dubstepforum.com/viewforum.ph...907accb87e6418

The part time suckers radio mixes are usually really good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely liking Taal Mala.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hemP View Post
    Definitely liking Taal Mala.
    werd, awesome. ~40:00 to 50:00 just destroys... sometimes I wish I didn't have landlords living above me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cam, Hermitude seems to be more hip-hop influenced than reggae influenced. I just listened to one of their more instrumental type songs and it was very chill .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hemP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 133 Posts
    Follows
    Following

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Android For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Andrew, great list there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the list, Andrew, I'm going through it now!
    I've been a fan of Shen for a little while, I got to see a great show here in Victoria back in December--Shen, Bluetech, Rena Jones, Kaminanda, etc.

and yeah, for anybody who's interested...here's a preview mix of the show, with some Bluetech, Shen, Rena. It's not dubstep, just great atmospheric ambient stuff.

http://soundcloud.com/helix-42/helix...lace-of-clouds

ahhhI gotta stop posting mixes.

@Cam-- thanks, I liked Hermitude, not dubsteppy, but great hip-hop for sure! I'm a fan of most australian hip-hop I've heard so far, ie. Hilltop Hoods.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.myspace.com/chasingshadowsexperimental

check out the Damian Marley remix, love the original and the dubstep version is just as good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sigh.... I miss drum and bass.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James Kei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dubstep! you have no idea how much this music is starting to grate on me, espescially since moving to Bristol. I think the rest of the UK moved on from dubstep on most levels in the 90's, Bristol did not. I wouldnt mind but it has compeltly overtaken here, Like all the small independent acts right through to the big, are dubstep. I miss a music scene that has variety.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Smarty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last edited by Max Challie; March 20th, 2009 at 04:57 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    dubstep! you have no idea how much this music is starting to grate on me, espescially since moving to Bristol. I think the rest of the UK moved on from dubstep on most levels in the 90's, Bristol did not.
    There wasn't a dubstep til the 00's I feel you though, I've liked the music for time now but everyone just goes on about it too much and I just get switched off to the whole thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Was kinda hoping Andrew would throw his two cents in. Thanks for the husky list

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wee good stuff !

Only few i can add/emphasize, are
    Boxcutter,
    Ital Tek,
    Armour,
    (Christine) Vaccine, 1 , 2, hour (or so) long mixes.
    Starkey (even though he's a bit more on general electronic)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly it seems like Dubstep appeared in the early 2000's then suddenly ANYTHING electronic and downtempo was "dubbed" Dubstep. I remember going to a party in '01 that had a Downtempo room where they were playing alot of Ninja Tune, DJ Food, Shpongle kinda stuff and almost everyone I went with to the party hated it. I had a great time, especially once the Asian dwarf woman started break dancing, but I've never been a genre snob. (BTW Dwarf windmills.....awesome)

I actually used to spin DnB...sold my tables when times got lean a few years ago, still got all my rekkids though! I've also been amateurishly learning production for a few years as well and have been thinking about putting some of my music up on MySpace or something lately. Got my parents to pick up an Akai MPD24 pad trigger midi controller for my recently passed 30th, so I'm looking forward to annoying my wife and scaring the neighbors with that.

Any other artists here also dig makin their own music?

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Cthogua For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    on the subject of dubstep- I remember hearing the beginnings of this around the trip-hop/lounge scenes in the late 90's...its about the same except it seems they hijacked ragga/dnb and slowed it doooown.
    as to cthogua
    --yeah, actually started tooling around with music about the same time as digital art-- almost did recording arts as a major- even interned for the college in their music production labs. Tools of choice? Ableton Live and Reason---can substitute Ableton for Logic or ProTools but Live has a great live mixdown feature which goes great with DJ sets...which I also got into..still have a chaos pad/mixer and some cd turntables sitting around.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan! View Post
    on the subject of dubstep- I remember hearing the beginnings of this around the trip-hop/lounge scenes in the late 90's...its about the same except it seems they hijacked ragga/dnb and slowed it doooown.
    as to cthogua
    --yeah, actually started tooling around with music about the same time as digital art-- almost did recording arts as a major- even interned for the college in their music production labs. Tools of choice? Ableton Live and Reason---can substitute Ableton for Logic or ProTools but Live has a great live mixdown feature which goes great with DJ sets...which I also got into..still have a chaos pad/mixer and some cd turntables sitting around.
    Yeah, I think that's supposed to be the "Dub" part of Dubstep, that and the bass. Dub Reggae's been around for almost as long as reggae itself and as far as I'm aware is the first really effects happy music, where the person doing the processing/mix down becomes a musician of sorts and effects/the mixing board became their instruments. The DIY aspect of electronic music kind of reaches back to that as well. King Tubby kicking his analog spring reverb box to get an awesome jangly crash sound...I love that stuff. The other side of it is I can't help but feel like people listened to their Drum and Bass 45 records on 33 and after a couple of blunts were like...hey...this works. Thus Nu-Skool Breaks was born, it's that same 2 step beat that's the standard of hip-hop and DnB just in a middle tempo range. Dub however tends to have a reggae beat, with the snare falling on the 3 count...alot of Dupstep uses this kind of beat as well...but it's like I was saying everyone's calling everything with a tempo below 120 bpm Dubstep nowadays so I'm sure you could find examples to disprove everything I've said

Dan! did you go to Full Sail?

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Cthogua For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 133 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i discovered dubstep about 4 years ago,

to me its more of a frequency and vibration than a genre of music, music is almost impossible to describe without hearing it, when the culture can latch on to a name like dub step it makes it easier for people to relate to and understand, i think the word dub step is more of a point of departure than an all encompassing theme.

also for anyone new to this style of music it really deserves to be heard on a massive bass heavy sound system, hearing it on your laptop is only a Shadow of the intended experience
    this guy mala www.myspace.com/malamystikz
    mixes all vinyl records , after listening to him perform on a proper sound system for an hour i felt like i received a full bass enima, very cleansing

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, ultimately genre titles, especially in the individualized, experimental world of computer music are really just handles to allow ease of discussion without someone needing to have heard every track everyone in the scene is making. My technical breakdown above, like the beat count stuff, is really just the result of me analyzing and breaking things down in hopes of learning to create a similar sound to stuff that I like.

I'll also concur regarding massive bass. I think that's why a lot of people don't get Drum and Bass. If you're not feeling the music in your chest, then you're not getting the full experience. Sadly though, since the demise of rave scene, here in Raleigh, North Carolina, we don't get a lot of that kinda thing coming through, and there doesn't seem to be a large scene of folks doin it themselves. There's the odd club night, but it's hardly like every weekend there's some dope new shit going down I cry alittle everytime I see that one of those Entheon or whatever events Alex Grey throws is going down. Ah to have the money to travel.

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan! View Post
    as to cthogua
    Originally dubstep had nothing to do with ragga or dnb. It comes from a collection of garage prodducers who produced a darker sound of music without vocals, hence the "dub" in dubstep being a reference to no vocals, not to dub music/reggae/ragga. Check out old El-B, Horsepower, Zed Bias, etc... Having said that, the sound caught like wild fire in the dnb world so a lot of producers have brought dnb influences into the music and it sounds much different now.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to aefx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthogua View Post
    Dan! did you go to Full Sail?
    no
    ---------------------
    some of you might find this site fun- great to travel through the spiderweb of music

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it wrong that I didn't understand a word the first couple posters said?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.