President Obama(Captain Obama) Critique

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation President Obama(Captain Obama) Critique

I painted this piece in Painter X. I'm fairly new to Painter as Obama is only the 2nd painting I've done in the program. Would like a critique and tips possibly. I definetly want to add more to outfit. And more texture to shield. It would be appreciated

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im too much of a beginner myself to offer a lot of detailed crits, but i think you need to look at some reference for the anatomy. what stands out atm is that his right arm look very very short. Try finding some references of sprinters, and i bet captain america comics would be full of good ref too, considering the subject

I like the image, and the idea of the portraits on the shield, id keep the shield fairly pilished to let the faces on it stand out as opposed to too much texture on those parts.

Not sure if the background is painted or if its photos? either is fine, but if youre looking for crits on it its best to specify the medium youre working in, atm its not immediately obvious if the bg is painted or photographic

His face is a bit lacking of expression atm, for a person dashing forwards like that.

Hop you keep working at it, I would love to see it get even better

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting concept, but as mentioned already it does need anatomy work. The right arm is a bit short, and the legs don't make any sense at all. Draw the body behind the shield first, figure out where everything fits together. Other than that, you do need to pick out a lighting direction and then keep the drawing consistent with it. No highlights in the shadow area! Make sure your reflected lights don't get too bright.

Like I said, fun concept, can't wait to see where you go with it.

-Sid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything in your current layout looks very, very flat, due in great part to the choices you've made in presenting the various elements. The figure is a strict side-on profile, the shield is both too large for the composition and presented exactly face-on, and the portions of the flag and capitol dome you're showing don't portray much of their actual form. As a result there's very little picture space defined and the elements don't occupy it as much more than flat panes.

Putting together a montage like this so that all the picture elements work together within the picture space is a fair challenge for any artist. Spend some time looking up refs for poses and such, see how other artists may have tackled such concepts -- lots of Capt. America art to view online. Study (but don't copy directly!) how the pieces of the images work with one another to create a composition that generates a coherent and unified picture space, with well-defined foreground, midground and background, and how the elements are drawn to depict their full form.

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know this is a super old post. At the time I had just opened an account on CA. I just learned how to retrieve old posts as of may 12 2010. lol. But seriously thanks for the input and time. Also, since then I've went back to fundamentals to work my way up to concept and advanced art.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=187694

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Captain Obama Revised Grey Scale

I revised it somewhat, but lost the passion to want to explore and recreate the piece for major improvement not to long after I posted the first one back in march/april 2009.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.