Sketchbook: Whitaker: sketchbook and Reverie workshop - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Will you ever make a dvd on the painting progress from this sort of painting technique?
    http://conceptart.org/artimg/image.p...crw3540sm2.jpg
    If so, I'd like to pre-order mine.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful drawings!!

I give up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great Words, Amazing Works, Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's no way I'll make it to Texas, but I really enjoy this sketchbook and Emily's one.

Sometimes I'll look at either, see a painting in progress and think "Oh, now that makes sense" when it's something you haven't even talked about. Thanks for that, to both of you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just started a thread on bringing oil paints to Reverie over in the workshop area. I'm a bit tired tonight, so It's not complete. I'll try and write more there tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I'm posting a few more drawings here tonight.

I did this drawing for a how-to video book that I've never published. It's about 20 inches high and done in Nupastel.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And while we're on the subject of skin, This is a pencil drawing from the early 1980's. It's about 12 inches high.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More skin! More skin!
    This is drawn with a Bruynzeel pastel pencil. Very nice instrument. Of course whenever I find something I really like, it's discontinued. I can't get this in the USA anymore.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

brentos8 is offline Artist in training, a student of life... Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing, simply amazing, I enjoyed every piece, especially your treatment of the skin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy bizamble! These are amazing! Don't mind me, but I'm going to be your barnacle. This workshop is going to rule!

Sketchbook Support Group
    Earendil Jussi Tarvainen Reidaj

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    each image posted is inspiring and amazing!
    Such control, suck knowledge...thank you!!!!

I SWEAR ON THE GRAVES OF ALL THE TALENTED FILIPINO ARTISTS WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, THE FILIPINO ART LEGACY WILL CONTINUE!

MY DAY JOB http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=136204

MY ANGRY SKETCHBOOKhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...129015&page=13

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing updates! ever thought about writing a book? would be full of magic wisdom for sure

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful work sir! can't wait to see you in reverie! :]

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You are a bad bad man, in a very good way. Hope you bring the workshops a loop back around to europe sometime so I might get to learn a bit from ya!

-E

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are really gorgeous stuff. Did you publish a book of your drawings? I hope you do cos i would certainly buy it

-JS Neo

"Choose only one master.. Nature. " Rembrandt

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting." Van Gogh
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Fine Art Journey - Feel Free to come in and take a look !!

Sketchbook - Less Update !!

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for sharing here.. your work is great but what I appreciate the most are your tips.. thanks for sharing..

Now back to drawing

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,151 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You work has such phenomenal heart. Thank you so much for posting!

That second picture in the first post, the full head portrait of Emiliano... stopped me dead in my tracks and sent me into aesthetic arrest. It has the same level of expression and integrity as Fechin's drawing masterworks, yet it looks so "you." There is no good reason I can think of that this particular piece should not hang in the Met.

Did you consciously compose this picture to emphasize poignancy, or did you just create the work while feeling that emotional statement within you? Or did you draw just what you saw?

Best to you,
    kev

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd love to hear any thoughts you have on forming hair in either drawing or painting. You do it with such a sensitive touch. Very graceful.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a wonderful mix of a beautiful sketchbook, a collection of inspiring quotes, an art museum, a workshop...I mean, thank you so much for sharing, Mr. Whitaker. We appreciate the time devoted to post your words, your sketches, and final pieces in the forum.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 370 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Its an honour to have you here amonsgt the community man, really beautiful drawings. Its so inspiring to read through and take in your wisdom. Please continue to update so frequently

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, it might sound rude of me, but I initially wasn't interested in your work...

I continued doing more and more research and looking around at all the workshop videos and I became increasingly interested in your work.
    This sketchbook only furthers my interest in your work... I have to ask though, do you ever plan on doing a process tutorial on one of your sketches? I mean, like do you block in your shapes first? Draw the outline? Just jump straight into shading?
    I dunno, you might not have time for such a thing, but I know it would be extremely helpful for those of us that can't actually make it to art school or a workshop for that matter

One day I hope to meet folks like you in person... One day

Oh, and as always, BEAUTIFUL work, yours is reminiscent of the old master works

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! a contemporary master with a sketchbook on CA. i guess 2012 is gonna happen!

I like Root Beer

My Sketchbook

BlogSpot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOAH! Wonderful. Exactly the level i'm hoping to get one day... one day.

My Sketchbook
    >>>My nearly empty Sketchbook<<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful stuff as always Mr Whitaker! I was wondering if you would indulge us in talking a little about Flake vs Cremnitz white, and canvas vs linen? If you have the time and patience of course!

Im trying to figure out if linen is worth the extra cost, ( I'm planning to cover a few ampersand Hardboard's with the stuff, and give the Winsor Newton oil priming alkyd a go) and what the physical characteristics of the different whites are, not just differences in pigment mixture.

I have also gone ahead and ordered some brushes from Trekell, after all the Walnut alkyd you recommended a few years ago, is my medium of choice! now!

Cheers Tim

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Iíve been getting ready for Reverie. I live in horror of forgetting something, ever since I forgot to bring brushes to a workshop a while back. Emily G is helping me make a list and checking it twice. Sheís going to make sure I get to Dallas without getting lost along the way.

Iím overwhelmed by your wonderful comments. I guess Iíd better get serious and learn to draw and paint so I donít burst the bubble. I want to thank each and every one of you, but I donít have the time to write as extensively tonight as I would wish. Let me answer a few questions though. Massive Black is threatening to do a video on me. I will try and make it useful and interesting. I also plan to do a book, if I break away long enough from the easel to put it together.

At Reverie, Iím hoping to have good natural light. If so, I will talk about and demonstrate skin painting in oils. Iím also bringing pencils and my Nupastel kit. Iím bringing some backup photos to work from in case there is any down time with the models. The only way I can leave my studio and come to the workshop is knowing that I will have some non-stop drawing and painting time. I hate to be away from the easel for even a day.

Pennington, if you are at Reverie, I will certainly be talking about and demonstrating my way of doing hair, in both drawing and painting. If you arenít coming, please email me after I get back and Iíll try and address that subject here in the forum.

Matte, Iíve done so many drawings! I guess I have no One True Way. Sometimes I start by blocking in, sometimes by building an outline, and sometimes but just scribbling (shading.) Like all things in art, it helps to be so crazy that we canít stay away from a pencil! Endless practice is everything.

Tim, Flake and Cremnitz white are actually the same thing today. They used to be slightly different, but the important thing to remember is that they are both made from lead. Until 90 years ago, white lead was the only white in oil painting. What you would choose from today is white lead vs. titanium white. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I like linen, mostly for esthetic reasons. Unfortunately, as we get deeper into our art, we find we have to try everything before we know what works best. It gets very time consuming and very expensive! Remind me, and I will cover the subject of whites here on the forum after I get back from Reverie.

Kev, that is about the nicest thing anybody has ever written on me. Thank you. By the way, I hope youíll be in Dallas. Iíd love to get together with you and talk shop. You are one very talented person. People like you are my source of inspiration. And by the way, I find that Iím now learning the most from artists much younger than I am. Art goes around and around!

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

28. The Following User Says Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Iím posting an oil drawing tonight. This was done on a toned linen canvas, the colors being various mixes of ivory black and transparent red oxide, plus white. This shot is a close up, which I thought would be more useful than a shot of the entire thing. It is slightly under life size.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And then I have another pastel drawing. Iíve cut off the top and the lower half so you can see the most important parts in a close up. The actual drawing is full length and measures 30x22 inches.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (GRIN) love the writing and the art!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You make me want to mess up all my living room with my oils.. again

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great! Here is something you might find interesting, especially for a painter of your caliber

http://www.naturalpigments.com/cgi-b...4;t=000027;p=1

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,151 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    I hope youíll be in Dallas. Iíd love to get together with you and talk shop. You are one very talented person. People like you are my source of inspiration. And by the way, I find that Iím now learning the most from artists much younger than I am. Art goes around and around!
    Very very much too kind of you sir. The feeling is mutual.

Darn it all... I could talk shop all day, all night and for the next three weeks straight, (given half an opportunity and a full cup of coffee!) Unfortunately, I won't be down in Dallas to take you up on your offer. And I live in upstate New York, alas.

However, if you have the time, and the inclination after your Dallas gig, we can try a modest email exchange to discuss what-have-you. If that's not your cup of joe, I'll just take a rain check on the shop talk offer and hope to meet you another day.

Best to you,
    kev

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6