Sketchbook: Whitaker: sketchbook and Reverie workshop - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitaker: sketchbook and Reverie workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since this is a sketchbook section, Iím going to post more drawings here. I drew this profile recently for no reason at all.

Wait. Yes a reason! I drew it for the sake of the ear. Iím very sensitive about ears, since they were another form I neglected to master in my callow youth. Iíve finally learned how to get the little ins and outs mostly right. Check out ears. Itís amazing how diverse they are. When we get older, they continue to grow. My ears are no longer pretty. They are downright unlovely in fact. Donít look at them!

As for callow youthhood, I understand some of you can be sensitive about that. I went to university as an early admission student and was therefore the callowest youth on the entire block. I remember how little respect I got. Therefore, if you are youthful, and we meet up in Dallas, Iím going to show respect. After all, you can do just about every important thing better than I can.

If you have any really dumb Ė secret superdumb Ė questions. Ask me. I have the answers and I will show respect. Know too that no matter how dumb your questions might be, my questions were even dumber.

Iíve done every stupid art thing there is to do, to wit: place my finished illustration on the top of my car, forget it is there, drive away and never see it again. Expect to do that someday. Write me about it when you do.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Many thanks for continuing to share your art and thoughts with us, they are a boon, to us artists

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Nice Beautiful And Nice:. Great Technque !!!!!!! Luv It

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish I could go to that ( I'm in art school up in NorCal)! your work is fantatsic sir! I read about you I think in Robert Barrett's figure drawing book ( not sure if I got that right) but his work reminds me of yours.. all wonderful! cheers, kevin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    William, thanks for sharing your art and insight. I also looked at every image and read every word on your website. It's comforting to see how you've carved out an apparently very happy life just by doing what you love.

If I had any question...what would you recommend is the best way to make a living if your core skill is traditional drawing/oil painting? (selling paintings? teaching? taking commissions? etc) Also, whats a realistic way of finding buyers and/or clients for high-end artwork like this?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ArmoredGorilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    Iíve done every stupid art thing there is to do, to wit: place my finished illustration on the top of my car, forget it is there, drive away and never see it again. Expect to do that someday. Write me about it when you do.
    LOL... well.. sad... but...` lol!

how bout a plein aire box, with the painting still locked in? that sucked.

William I've admired your paintings and looked to your tutorials often when I was stuck with something and I have to thank you for that, and for sharing your knowledge and your work

PS: Did you ever mod a second spider man toy?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're a good dude, Whitaker.... A really good dude. Thanks for being positive and visiting us grunts in the sketchbooks!

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The nupastel piece is really nice! Hi William, sorry for asking a stupid question haha but... if i want to practice oil painting and i would like to do a few oil painting per week as practices, do you have any suggestion for an alternative for canvas? Im just a student and a canvas(around $10 for an a3 size) is very expensive for me currently. For practices, is it good to start with alla prima? Since i dont have many hours to spare after school..
    Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm new in the forum and in my first post I want to thank you sir for sharing your knowledge, your art is really inspiring and I'm been following your work since I saw it on the web a couple of years ago.

I also discover this forum because of a link to your painting demonstration from another artist blog, so thanks again!

I would like to ask you if you can include in your posts the materials you are using for your drawings and the real size.

Lots of thanks!

Daniel Bejarano Casarino
    www.bejaranocasarino.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your artwork is nothing short of beautiful, and your words are nothing short of inspiring (and fun to read). Please continue.

"You have a taste for drawing - I trust it will improve." - Melmoth, The Wanderer

Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    captivating studies , indeed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey william.. you sound like a wonderful person..
    And such skill!

much respect..

I was wondering how you feel about the idea that all art is abstract in the end?..

I found that if I draw abstracts it seems I improve much faster at art in general..
    Doing so I feel far less distracted by reality's rules which I find block me from making the pieces harmonious.
    It feels to me that i have to really learn the very basics/core of art before i could ever attack anything that needs control over visuals such as a human body etc..

Would you feel this makes sense to do?
    What are your thoughts on this..?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really enjoyed reading in this sketchbook.
    I have just started to learn how to draw and it is allways very inspiring not to only see beautyful, adoreable drawings and paintings like yours, but also to hear an experienced artist, like you are, talking about your opinion towards Art and towards learning how to create it. There's a lot of wisedom in your words

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful work mate!

please keep sharing,
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Victor, Iíll continue to post, until Emily tells me to cease.

Celer, thank you.

Kevinwueste, Bob Barrett and I had the same teacher, a brilliant draftsman named Alvin Gittins. We learned the drawing technique from him. Iíll eventually post some Gittins stuff on the forum.

ArmoredGorilla, you bring up a very necessary topic that Iíd like to address in depth after I get back from the Dallas workshop. I personally believe the future of art marketing is on the internet.

T11, if you already did that with your plein air box, you should feel relief. You will never do anything quite that stupid again in your entire long life. Guaranteed! As for Spiderman, I have a total of three. I carved on one, lost interest, sprayed two of them grey, lost interest, left the third one in original red and blue. Opps, I had a 4th one too, but I broke a leg off. I believe there is a post on the topic somewhere on the forum. They are by far the best drawing manikins. Somebody should talk the artist/creator into doing one for the art market in grey plastic. There would be big bucks in it.

IanE, youíre welcome. I enjoy it here on the front lines. You folks are the Future. I want to see where itís going.

Krytos, alla prima? Absolutely! Best really cheap support? Tracing paper! Tracing paper is great for practice because the oil doesnít seep through it. Tape your tracing paper onto a piece of black foamcore board. The black showing through the tracing paper will give you just the right tone of midtone grey. Tape your finished oil sketches around your walls. When they are dry, you can stack a hundred of them in a very small space.
    If you want to go upscale, substitute frosted Mylar for tracing paper. Then you have really permanent sketches! (Good tracing paper will last your lifetime though, so not to worry.)

Bejaranocasarino, Iím sorry about not posting the sizes. Silly me, I forgot! Most of the full figure pastel drawings Iíve posted so far are about 32x40 inches Ė 78x97cm. I promise to be more informative with my new posts.

Munin Raven, continue I will, until Jason or Emily shuts me up.

Thank you Flamable. Romania is a beautiful country, reminds me of my mountain home.

Wi2rd, abstract? I certainly think mine is. Your ideas make perfect sense. Do anything that brings you enthusiasm and you will go from one level to another, higher and higher. The fun is in the journey.

Demodeus, thank you. Iím going to remind my family that there are people out there who think there is wisdom in my words.

Öand Alesoun, I think Iím about as exciting to watch as growing grass. However, I learned by watching.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Mr. William Whitaker, you're paintings and drawings are just stunning. I can't believe some of those heads are mere inches tall!
    Nupastel is something I've never used before, what makes it different than.. well pastel? haha. What are it's qualities?

Again beautiful work, I'll definitely keep up drawing and painting everyday for the chance to create work like yours :]

"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matt, thanks for your comments.

Pariano, Nupastel is harder than artistsí pastels. It was used by layout artists before magic markers were invented. In this day and age Iím surprised they are still being produced. Nupastel is very similar to Conte crayon, but Conte Crayon seems slightly greasy in comparison.

Tonight Iím posting a biggie and a tiny. This drawing is 32x40 inches. The support is Crescent museum mounting board Ė off white I believe. I donít even know if itís still being made. This drawing dates from1982.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And this one is an oil sketch 9 inches high. I do my best painting when I start broadly.

Iíve been known to say that we should consider the largest brush possible for the given painting passage, then actually choose the next size larger. Itís amazing what we can do with a large brush and a light touch.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely work here William, thank you for sharing - That drawing and I came into existence in the same year.

I appreciate your advice regarding large brushes; I'll try to put it into practice from now on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is just beautiful.

Back in my student days, I could do a large pastel drawing in two or three hours. As my technique and my eye developed, I found them taking much longer. I don’t keep track of the time, but I guess a figure takes twelve to sixteen hours now, over a period of several days.
    Why do you suppose that, as you learn and apply more information, one slows down? I'd think that better skills & understanding means more efficient and therefore quicker process.

Last edited by AztcFireFlower; March 20th, 2009 at 12:16 AM.
    Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are so great to see as is reading the accompanied information.

I had the pleasure of seeing your recent governors portraits as I was walking through the capitol building one day after lunch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hats Off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dang it! just when I think I've done something slightly decent i come her and see these marvels...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You sir are a true inspiration. Due to immense depression, a lack of funds, and many other personal obstacles, I was considering forgoing the Dallas workshop. Once your name appeared on the instructor list, however, I lunged at the opportunity. I was disappointed that you never made an appearance in Seattle and it will be a miraculous occasion to learn under your guidance in Texas.

That said, I would incredibly honored if you would view my sketchbook, blog or other gallery. Due to the nature of my artwork, I doubt you will enjoy it but any input would be tantalizing. I am only 15 (well, 16 on Saturday) and I dream to some day become a master of my art as you have done so.

Thank you,
    Jake Kobrin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

amazing.....

awasomme................!!! there is no word for this kind of great art.....!very very very .....inspirational.....pls visit on my thred n coment on, you most wellcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing work. You artwork is very inspirational and taught me a lot during my college studies for traditional painting subjects.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for taking your time to answer everyone of us, I'm surprised with the size of the drawings, they are larger than I imagine. I didn't know Nupastels, I'll try to find it here in Argentina.

Regarding the models, all these drawings and sketches are done with a live model? or do you take pictures and then use them as a reference?

The light in the drawings is beautiful how do yo set all the composition?

These works are awesome and you can tell your family with no doubt that your words are full of wisdom!

Daniel Bejarano Casarino
    www.bejaranocasarino.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff !!.. I was about to mention that i find your style of using nupastel is rather similar to Robert Barrett's work but i guess Kevin beat me to it I havent heard of your teacher, Alvin Gittins but a quick google shows how great he is. Maybe you can say abit on how you were taught under him? (Similar to how u are teaching Emily now?)

Your statement on copying has put my doubt to rest about whether i am practicing correctly or not. I am just curious whether you would actually try to learn or think about different things when u copy different master's work. Maybe some example of masters to copy from and what to look out for or pay attention to for each masters? Is it imperative that you try to copy exactly, even trying to use the same medium?

Really thanks for spending your time here in the forums. Your answer has all been words of wisdom and teachings to us all. Cheers !

-JS Neo

"Choose only one master.. Nature. " Rembrandt

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting." Van Gogh
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Fine Art Journey - Feel Free to come in and take a look !!

Sketchbook - Less Update !!

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome by Mr Whitaker looked conceptart like to work and saw impressive job for us, as a disciple in phase gives the phase of the work did you do this?
    Thank you master

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for sharing your paintings and your knowledge! Your work is a great inspiration for me!

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5