Sketchbook: Whitaker: sketchbook and Reverie workshop - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitaker: sketchbook and Reverie workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    o........................................my....... .....................................lord......... ......................................and......... ...........................my..................... .............................god!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to [LITTLE-FEET] For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 492 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is brilliant, amazing! the drawings feel very accurate to me! And what you talk about with copying is something i tried to follow myself the last weeks. but as i got told alot in youth that its bad, i still feel like a burglar when doing it. but i at the moment I sometimes feel dissapointed not learning as fast as i want or not coming up with excellent drawings and or paintings of myself.

i'd love to hear more of your thoughts its very inspiring!

wonderful work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man I really wish I could go to Austin/Dallas this year. These drawings are beautiful.

Thanks for the inspiration and the motivation

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa! beautiful drawings and paintings - you're a living master!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Diego, Mock, Bandaidboy12, TASmith, Gloominati, Joce, Little-Feet, Verehin, JasonwClark, Josef K., better not encourage me this way, Iíll just keep it up!

AphexTweak, I was delighted to see your sketchbook. What I have to say to you pretty much fits us all. The work youíre putting in to memorize the figure is very important. I too made Bridgeman copies. I was especially happy to see your pages of figure gesture studies. We all need to do these forever!

We all have a natural size for our best work. Some of us work small (I do) and some large. Find your natural size. Thanks to copy machine and computer technology, original drawing size isnít the big deal it once was. Learn to draw really well at your size.

By and by, make some extremely exact copies of things that move you. Getting to almost-accurate is pretty easy, but all your growth will be in the area between almost-accurate and dead-on accurate. Emily G worked three full days a week for an entire month on her first Bargue copy drawing. I thought she would never finish! But her second drawing took two weeks. Her drawings kept getting better and faster. She is now as tough as a Samurai, afraid of nothing in art. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...light=whitaker

Making a few perfect copies is best thing all of us can do. More than anything else, it teaches us to see and makes us tough. Visual standards are extremely high today and will only be higher in ten years. We must all strive to be better than we are. Our art lives at the extreme edge of our abilities.

BubbaGump, we all have to get over the nonsense weíve been fed about originality in school. Mr. Schoolartclass is not your friend! Donít worry about originality, creativity, such like. Just draw like crazy and your art will LEAD you. By and by you will reinvent the Art Universe. Haunt museums, books, the web, magazines. Save and treasure those things that inspire you.

Syrez, we are such an impressionable bunch! I was told in my tender childhood that a painting without some red in it was not a good painting. It took me decades to get over that! Copy away. You will still feel like a burglar, but the stuff youíll be burgling will be worth the guilt.

Be patient with yourself. Take comfort that this is an old manís business. The older you get, the better you get in art. No matter how long we live, weíre going to die a day or two before weíve finally finished that really good painting! We have to get used to that.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

8. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since this is a sketchbook place, Iíd better post so sketches. This is a small oil study I did of one of my apprentices. I was inspired by the Fayum portraits of 2000 years ago and dressed Dan accordingly.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One of my numerous grandsons posed for this. Iím a Civil War buff. The McDowell cap is marvelously silly, but the wool overcoat is elegant.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is one of my less-than-an-inch-high heads. My white is old-fashioned Flake White.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I painted Kalencia in Scottsdale Arizona in front of a couple of dozen high school art teachers. It was one of the lecture-and-paint things and I didnít have much time. I wish I would have had a few more minutes to do a bit more on her necklace. This painting is about ĺ life size and done on canvas.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your sketches a gift ! thanks for sharing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a pleasure to have you posting here! I've been a fan of you work for quite a while now.

I love the civil war portrait of your grandson. it has so much rhythm, but I like the hat

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 291 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    heya William! thanks so much for posting these...your paintings and drawings are so nice... a treat for the eyes!

looking forward to seeing you once again!

best

c36

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So lovely and motivating (-taking my pencil back and drawing...-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always loved your work ever since I knew your name.
    You are so inspiring.

~ '
    ~

Will update sometime soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice paintings , waw!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's so much beauty and humanity in these pieces - thanks a ton for sharing your art with us! I'll be attending the workshop and am really looking forward to drawing and painting alongside you and everybody else next weekend!

Geez, I haven't done a master copy in ages... but you're absolutely right, they're awesome exercises for learning. Thanks for the reminder, I'm all pumped up now to go draw one!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, those are awesome mini-portraits.
    Thank you, William, for posting those.
    You are a true master of his craft.

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for posting these beautiful works

Your painting's always inspire me so much, I enjoy your works thoroughly. Your drawings in your first post particularly blew me away. They are lovely

Thank you again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as inspiring as the art you posted in here are, your words of wisdom are more inspiring.
    great art and great advice all in one thread, thank you for taking time to share these with the community.

I SWEAR ON THE GRAVES OF ALL THE TALENTED FILIPINO ARTISTS WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, THE FILIPINO ART LEGACY WILL CONTINUE!

MY DAY JOB http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=136204

MY ANGRY SKETCHBOOKhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...129015&page=13

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there, after reading what you said about copying images that inspire you i decided to do a whole lot more studies and found it very enjoyable, all the answers are allready right there infrount of you ! i hope to gain afew art levels in the coming months through strict copying.

-alti

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow nice sketchbook, I would love to hear you speak in Dallas, but unfortunately I live on the other side of the planet, kinda!

I loved reading your little piece on the opening post, so drawing is that important I must draw more!

Any other words of wisdom for a beginner looking to get good as fast as possible?

Have a blast at the workshop!

Great paintings in here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, yeah, i see. we all got told some stuff thats blocking us. for me i'm easy impressionable as i'm impatient with myself.

guess, having just fun with whatever we do is the key. using any technique thats worth the outcome. but stepping out of the comfort zone and over your own shadow is really hard.. kind o' psychological all the way through

the new portraits are great again!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incredible, incredible, incredible.
    Thanks for posting these and thanks for your inspiring words.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very inspiring indeed. Thank you for sharing your work and knowledge with us mr. Whitaker This sure is a sketchbook to follow closely.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Any chance you'll be doing a tour of duty through little ol New Zealand Emily, while she was here for the NZ workshop, pimped a painting she'd done while studying under ya and i was just blown away, such high standards and quality.

Beautiful work William, wish we had that kinda setup happening over here, then maybe i could do work that i'm actually proud of, heh!

~Jase

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sensual!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Victor B, Feil Magnus, Flamable, Queen Nehalania, AztcFireFlower, Karein, ANGRY Filipino, Tigermilk, Rudeone, Rubbadub; thanks for stopping by and saying nice things. I hope Iíve spelled everything correctly. I canít find any of your names in the phone book.

Pennington, I like the hat too. Itís our secret! Itís got a nifty brass hunting horn on the top.

Sfa, I look forward to working with you. Remember to introduce yourself to me at least a half dozen times. I eventually get it right, it just takes me longer.

Alti, if you make very diligent copies, you will save a lot of time in your artistic development.

Alex, I sympathize. It would be a long swim, and then youíd be forced to speak Texan when you got here.

Syrez, it seems most of us are impressionable and impatient. Iíd like to believe it is connected to our artistic brilliance. Fun? Yes! I read an inspiring comment in the obituary of the artist Thomas Hart Benton. It read, ďNow thereís a man who got to do exactly what he wanted to do every day of his life.Ē That is our goal.

A few years ago I was planning to do a workshop in New Zealand Rusty. However I realized I could never survive in my bubble on a trip that long. I have to settle on hearing the wonderful things Emily says about it.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found this in my files today Ė Iím having Emily delete the black and white shot. This is probably the best drawing Iíve ever done, or ever will do. Itís 40x32Ē Nupastel and was drawn in 1981. Iím jealous of that young guy! He had more audacity than I have.

I worked hard to learn to draw the bottoms of feet and white drapery. I was a slow learner when it came to getting folds right. You can expect that those features that are hardest for you will someday become your best source of satisfaction.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

36. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I wish I could make the workshop!

I look at what you can do and wonder why I keep trying. Too stubborn to give up, I guess.....

Love what you're posting; just wish I could watch you in action.....

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5