rattsang is offline i am destructor bahhhhhhwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
    Thanks

weighing up the pros and cons of painter 11

well after testing painter 11 for a few weeks i´ve yet again decided to put off upgrading (currently i own version 9.5). i delighting in using it for the fist few minutes, but then as i realize that many of the old bugs were still present and there was an unwelcome addition of new bugs my heart sank. so here are my pros and cons of this version:

pros-

1. resizable color wheel and mixer pallette
    2. hard media options
    3. velocity actually works now, but it doesn't take into account your starting speed(it always starts at 0, even if you touch the tablet while moving)
    4. rotate canvas artifacts have been resolved

cons-

1. skipping strokes, stroke lag at start of strokes
    2. no resizable image preview that updates in real time
    3. no preview for filters, such as color editing (the current 200 odd pixel window is a joke)
    4. awkward and inconsistent loading of color profiles and color management leading to grayed images.
    5. lack of eraser(or scraper) on the mixing palette, sometimes as in real life i want to keep part of a palette and scrap the rest
    6. all the bugs that weren't fixed from previous versions, painter is feeling more and more like a beta progam
    7. the lack of interaction from the corel team with the community, at least tell us it can´t be done or it would cost too much money or youre woking on it, but please, please corel stop ignoring us.
    8. still no grain in artist oils until the trail off stage of a stroke.

anyone else see anymore pros, admittedly i don't use all the features regularly, probably there are more.
    Last edited by rattsang; March 16th, 2009 at 12:47 PM.
    its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Definite pro is the Transform function (if it is eventually bug free). It's not perfect but it does mean that trips to and from Photoshop are reduced. And I do feel that a few of the brushes I use (Acrylics and Oils) have been improved.

I still can't use P11 though.

Thanks
    Another pro resizable Swatch List window, before you couldn't resize the window only the palette.

Thanks
    for me the best pro is fixed how wacom tablet now working with brush tracking, all brushes have more control in pressure, and reacting more accurate.
    and that's all i found good for me...

and my concl is, that p11 is on beta stage now and was early began to sell only because of financial crisis... maybe corel have problems, who knows. but in my opinion it's not a final product with all respect for corel painter's dev team.

Thanks
    Pro:
    -You can now load selection of the transparency mask of any layer or group of layer in one step directly from the layer palette and you can also combine them from there just like in Photoshop. Anyway this feature is unfinished since it is still not possible to load selection of a layer mask from the layer palette...
    -Another pro, polygonal selection is nice also.
    -I have seen also when you are collapsing two or more layers, Painter gives now to the new layer, the name of the upper collapsed layer (it was not in IX.5 but maybe it was introduce in X...or 11, I don't know). Nothing big but as I am still with IX.5, it is so painful to rename my layer every time I collapse them.

Thanks
    I luv painter 11, works fine for me, artists are getting lazy, now want many features that photoshop have, thats why i luv painter cause its hard to use and its more hand made, people are relying to much in pluings and in photos, its cool that they didnt upgrated the program that much, because i like it close to traditional, dont want painter to become another photoshop.
    There are no such things as bad art, just tight deadlines.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Pro is that the gui interface colors are a bit better, I like that softer grey

Cons
    - CPU bug, which probably accounts for lag and missing strokes
    - Copy and Paste bug most likely related to Painter. For example if you were trying to copy one layer on the canvas and past it into a new layer it won't work (possibly due to the cpu bug)
    - GUI needs an overhaul
    - An eraser may be nice in the palette mixer but an undo function would work too.
    - The stray dab now affects the color mixer palette.
    - Painter's bleeding GUI seems to affect me more often now with startup on my PC.
    -Corel's (lack of) customer support/service even though I visit Painterfactory forums regularly.
    Last edited by Arshes Nei; March 16th, 2009 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsevilla View Post
    I luv painter 11, works fine for me, artists are getting lazy, now want many features that photoshop have, thats why i luv painter cause its hard to use and its more hand made, people are relying to much in pluings and in photos, its cool that they didnt upgrated the program that much, because i like it close to traditional, dont want painter to become another photoshop.
    im sorry but you dont know what youre talking about, most ppl on this fourm dont use filters(with the exception of post processing), and stick closly to traditional processes for using painter, nobody here is asking for painter to be anything like ps, if we wanted ps we´d use it. the things mentioned above relate to bugs in the program, i suggust you search through the painter fourm here on ca and see some of the bugs we are talking about.
    Last edited by rattsang; March 16th, 2009 at 12:50 PM.
    My Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsevilla View Post
    ts cool that they didnt upgrated the program that much, because i like it close to traditional,
    The upgrade, for which I paid £130, cannot put a simple, traditional stroke of oil paint on the canvas properly. That, amongst other bugs, is what many of us are complaining about.

I am happy, however, that it works well for you. Hopefully all of us will enjoy it too, very soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I'm trying to figure out how not wanting a program to crash is wanting it to be like Photoshop? Unless there's some stability comparison I missed?

I'm also concerned about my computer when Painter takes up an unusual amount of CPU and stays that way. That's not good for the computer at all.

Some of the bugs are pretty damaging, I mean would you want to use an easel knowing it might suddenly explode in your face without warning?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Some of the bugs are pretty damaging, I mean would you want to use an easel knowing it might suddenly explode in your face without warning?
    Maybe if you were an abstract painter

I just want it to work.... nothing fancy, just work. No missing strokes, odd dabs, and transform without artifacts or out of canvas cropping. The lucky who experience no problems are just 'lucky'. If I purchase a program I don't want to have to cross my fingers that it'll work for me.

I am a big Painter user and fan. I don't want a photoshop. I've got that. I just want things to work as advertised on all systems that fit or exceed the requirements.

I would also like Corel just to acknowledge comments .... it's very disheartening when you hear nothing at all.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    im back to using painter 9.5 again, the problem with the artists oils and color management is just too annoying, gonna miss that color wheel though
    My Blog