Work in Progress [2 digital paintings]

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Work in Progress [2 digital paintings]

still a work in progress, but I wanted to see if I could get some feedback/critique on this one before I proceed. I'm mostly interested in critique on composition, perspective, colour and lighting. But do feel free to comment on anything.

I'm considering trying to add phototextures for the foreground, any opinions on that?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ErikStorstein; April 5th, 2009 at 03:00 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good so far, I'm just wondering why is there no rain around the dinosaur, and that you should make the dinosaur look wet. I look forward to the end product.

Critiques on my work always welcome!!

Sketchbook:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=229693

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vayne108 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good mate. I am wondering slightly where his other leg is in that shot as I dont think it could be completely hidden. The angle you have the head at would show that the platform he is lying on would be sloping up a bit more and the body doesn't reflect the slope. Adding that extra leg in would probably fix that. OR perhaps lowering the bit the dinosaur is lying on around the grass area near the skulls would help the perspective of the dinosaur match the ground its on.

My coffee is never strong enough and sleep is always an option

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Leggraphics For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally I have time to work on this!

vayne108: I would assume the dinosaur would use a place with cover from the rain as its resting place. I'm still unsure about the rain though, but I should consider making it look wet if I decide to include it! Thanks!

Leggraphics:
    Fixed the leg. I somehow didn't see it, so thanks!

Would be nice if I could get some critique on this other painting I've been working on. It's my first time trying to paint a character in movement. As well as using a 3 point perspective. O.O It is bound to have a lot of fail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I like the dinosaur piece, it has a lot of cool features. But the detail placement is a little off. By that I mean, as you get closer to the viewer, detail disappears. And that not good. To help with depth, the foreground should be really detailed. So work on the skulls and grass in the corner and on the little blank spot of cliff the dino is sitting on.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That dinosaur one looks great man, maybe try adding some of that hazy bluey green light into the highlights on the dinosaur. It might not work, but it's always good to try and spread colour around, especially colour in light

11. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. The dinosaur one is looking good. the foot does fix allot of those perspective problems I noticed earlier as it makes it look like the dinosaur is sitting on a slightly sloped surface. As mentioned you need more detail in the forground. Currently you have most of the detail where you dont want the eye to look, past the waterfall. BTW> great job with the water... stunning.

The new drawing:

The context of it is hard to understand.. It sort of looks like she is falling.. as she isnt fighting it or striking a pose. But the lack of pose makes it look like she is sleeping. The legs the way they are make it look like she has jumped or thrown out of a window that you cant see? but then I notice the footprint so she has jumped yes? Her hand wouldn't be all limp I dont think in that case. Not entirely sure what that random cross of light is either.

I think the lights on the robot would be an interesting light source.

There is also something with her neck. I think you have not made it long enough Its making it look like she is a hunch back:p

Apart from that. I really see a lot of good things going on. I think the pants are starting to come up well. The cloth is looking fairly realistic and more detail would be great. The buildings look good to. A few windows and such in those and I think you will be cooking with gas. One more thing to. Maybe suggest a little bit of rocket smoke or light under the robot? just to imply he is flying or maybe he is standing on something?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Leggraphics For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Duman: Cheers! :] I added more detail to that area now, though I think I'll add even more later.

DanLambert: I will try to experiment more with it for sure, thanks :]

Leggraphics: You stopped by again Really appreciating it!
    Yea, the illustration is a part of a school project. Your feedback confirmed what I thought. That it wouldn't read well without the other illustrations. She has a laser-like weapon on her hand that she's firing, but it's really unclear and should be fixed. I think I'll repaint most of it actually, for practice reasons

OOh and updated the dinosaur a little, I'm a bit uncertain about the changes I've made. Experimented a lot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a laser-like weapon aye... lol... with that hand position does she have a ring that fires the laser.. maybe she is like one of the planateers and calling for captain planet (you may need to look captain planet up to understand that joke):p

Dino is looking better. I think you need more texture on the skin, a few cracks in teh skulls on the bottom right and Maybe explain why this dinosaur has skulls around him neatly stacked lol... maybe he is a headhunters pet?? To avoid that feel add a few crushed skulls, spread them around .. add some more bones that arnt just human skulls. few references to get you going

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Leggraphics For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like how this is progressing..
    i think the main thing is to define your focal point a little better..the first thing i look at when i see the painting is the light in the background but the main subject is the dinosaur so it would make more sense for the focal point to be on its head.
    so compositionally it would work better if the dinosaur head was a little closer to that bright area in the background. or you could add some more contrast to the foreground maybe using a torchlight or something like that.
    perspective wise I like the background and general environment, I'd personally lower a little the horizon but i guess that's just my taste. on the dinosaur..its hard to tell his story..the pose its not what you'd expect to see a dinosaur so it suggests he is asleep or hurt..maybe lurking for a prey? but there is no other indication for it..at the moment seems like a really relaxed dinosaur chilling out in a cave kinda thing
    also those clear cuts on his body are kinda making it look a little artificial/mechanical..
    but you're on the right track, with time you'll learn to plan your composition early by thinking to all this stuff

the other picture is already a lot stronger, you got your figures well defined, I immediately focus on the big bot and there is a nice contrast/danger between the 2 . you should push this aspect a lot more, maybe use strong colors contrasts like red on blue to add drama to the action closer to the characters, define a bit better what she's doing (I can see some light indicating somethings going on but cant quite tell). again lower the pov a little, a big bot seen from below is a lot more menacing than it being on the eye level.. it makes it look huge and dangerous.
    hope this helps..keep at it..

BLOG
    CgHub

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Shard For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.