Chow 152 :: Mary of the Blue lights - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's another WIP- added colour and cropped the image. trying to squeeze as much time out to work on this. Still got highlights and bkg textures to work on... i wish there were more hours in day...

Comment and crits most welcome!!

Keep up the good work everyone! I really like all the different takes on mary

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I think I will actually finish this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew, another update. I've been trying to mess with the perspective. Shannanigan - love her face!

Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MJ_Alcazar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    still workin gona have to work straight through the weekedn just to keep up with all this talent commin in.

Name:  Mary-Blue-Wip-.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  68.2 KB

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My wip, hope i can finish it in time
    for the little blue light i tried to take inspiration from elcoro monsters, but i think i failed.
    Updated with colors, crits would be appreciated since its the second char i color

Name:  CHoW2 copy.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  85.2 KB
    Name:  CHoW2444 copy.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  124.0 KB

Last edited by G@m; March 21st, 2009 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a little bit intimidating being among all this talent. I'm such a newbie.

DIMAGYAN - I like what you have so far. My only concern is the perspective of the box she's holding. Looks a bit wonky.

Ostrander - You blow me away everytime you post. Damn.

dirkvandulmen - Adorable, to say the least! I agree, it reminds of Foster's!

Tommoy - Excelent mood, I love your piece to bits!

masque - Believable backstory and awesome rendition.

jread - Please finish it? The creatures are delicious. I like how playful Mary looks.

K-Mo - Lots of attitude, I like your style.

dariocoelho - As crazy as it is, the concept works for me. I would make her eyes bigger - but that may be just a matter of taste.

Pseudocognition - Lovely linework!!!

N-man - Interesting take on the subject... Care to explain it further?

Artofinca - Her face shows so much depth, staring with mournful eyes... I love it.

h2rra - Great colours, the pose is very stiff though.

Rambozo - That's bizarre! The good kind of bizarre! There are some lines from the sidewalk going across her face, though. I don't think that's intentional, lol.

AvisNocturna - Thank you a lot for the comment. I really like how yours is shaping up. I love the boots! I don't know if it is just me but she seems a bit bulky on the lower half of the body...

Sekino - Thank you for the pointers, I agree she looks a bit older - I guess I see lots of overdeveloped 12 year-olds where I live, lol. I tried to round her features more. It isn't perfect but I don't want to go crazy with that right now...

Should I edit my previous post or just put it here? Hmm.

I couldn't work on it the whole day because I don't have my pc with me. I think I'm finished with Mary, just need to work on the background more (and her hair!).

Last edited by prelude2tragedy; March 21st, 2009 at 08:42 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to prelude2tragedy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    prelude2tragedy - I think her feet may be a tad too small.

DIMAGYAN - liking your sketch so far. Can't wait to see the final.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MJ_Alcazar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, guys, haven't been here in a while. Here's mine. I liked it enough while I was sketching, but I feel less for it more and more. Maybe I will make a new one if I have time tomorrow. Cheers.

Last edited by Johann de Venecia; March 23rd, 2009 at 02:31 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johann de Venecia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just started mine...
    Kinda generic, still pondering about what to do with the blue lights, so I can make mine more unique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, here's an update! I'm feeling a little more comfortable now, though I think I've got a long way to go to meet the deadline. Hopefully I can devote most of tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my update. I haven't had much time to work on this, but I've found some ways to make my work go faster. I'm not sure about the background yet. I was thinking about going more realistic with it, but I keep thinking I should go more abstract, like she's all drugged out and this is the world she's seeing. Maybe with the time constraints I have I should just clean things up, start on colour, and remove the background altogether. What do you guys think?

I would appreciate any C&C you can give me. I'm heading to bed now! Have fun drawing everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres what i got so far.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodimus25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Johann: You changed your name! Do you want me to update the winner's list with the new one?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great looking round everyone!

Started this last night. Hoping to finish by the deadline.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A Remake

So when I first came across this challenge I was so into the theme I started painting with out research, without focus, and without a goal. So sitting looking at my original on Sunday afternoon I decided I wasn't going to fix it. And spend the rest of my time trying to make a bad composition work, and a boring character look interesting. So I decided, I m just going to start again.

I think this out worked out a lot better. One sitting 6 hours got to love it.

Last edited by no_name_brand; March 22nd, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
    "the Hispanic mechanic?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres the last update before i finish it and put up a final one.

@prelude2tragedy: its suppose to be like she made herself armor and weaponry to help defend herself on the streets of the city. idk just liked the idea lol

Name:  girlandblue8x6_5.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  248.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AUG - sick style!

gettin there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by prelude2tragedy View Post
    jread - Please finish it? The creatures are delicious. I like how playful Mary looks.
    thanks for the comment unfortunately I left me wacom pen at work on friday so havnt had the chance to work on it, bummer I wont be able to finish it for the final thread but i will definitely finish it soon as i get the opportunity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some thumbs, a color/valuetest (that wasn't supposed to be this detailed) and the start on the gouache painting.
    Dont know if I will have time to finish it before the deadline, but we'll see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    flashrabbit: I really like yours, really cool style, and your rendering seems real solid

Johann de Venecia is cheating, lol, I AM kidding, just to say that, his sketch is the one I most like...

prelude2tragedy: I think she still looks older than 12... but maybe is just me, but, other than that, it looks really good, but I don't think the lighting in her, is the same as the bg

Rodimus25
    : Love that one =), really cool style

no_name_brand: I really like her face! but I think the blue reflections on her should be more strong, to make the lights more alive...

DeKal: she looks really good, but doesn't seem 12 year old...

ok so, here's what i got, so far... please crits, they are appreciated, this is my real first try at Painter X, and I'm really liking it, hope i finish this in time o.o

Give my sketchbook a visit and tell me what you think n.n

> S K E T C H B O O K <

My gallery

27. The Following User Says Thank You to DHTenshi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DHTenshi: Thanks! Yours is shaping up really well. Hope we can finish in time.

Daestwen: Its ok, I'll let the old name keep its history. Thank you though, hope your'e well.

I haven't seen everyone's entries yet. I'll do proper CCs later. I did a new one this morning, I wasn't feeling the first one too much. Hopefully I'll have time to clean this up by tonight. I wanted to make her look more street hardened and butch, but I think I made her look to androgynous so I hope I can fix that along with the BG later. Cheers all.

Last edited by Johann de Venecia; March 22nd, 2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are too many good ones here for me to list all my favorites, but my top two are clochette and rambozo!

here's another of my WIPs. I really don't feel comfortable in digital yet, I'm still trying to find a technique I like, so this was good practice.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to erinel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here is mine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, my second and final WIP post. I’ve just kept goin’ really. I sorta like the whole B&W / Sepia thing, it fits I think. So I don’t think I’m gonna go with colours… Mistake ?

What else. Ah the hair, still unsure what I’m gonna do with it now… I still have to add dangly things offa the wheel-crown. I’m pretty sure I’m gonna drop the multi-pony-tail thing I first started off with.

Ok now, if this can help out anyone at all : this is gona be my first run at CCs :

Prelude2tragedy : Bizarre ?! hehe hey thanks and ya for the lines well it was just the skeleton for my background that was showin’ through my “girl” layer in photoshop. So I guess it was sorta voluntary in the sense that it was meant to disappear

I like how the details are startin’ to come in on your piece ; the contrast especially, around the hand, the ear and such. The thigh-knee junction seems to be just slightly off though, not much but just enough to draw the eye.

No_Name_Brand : dude, if you can pull that off in six straight hours : you need to give me pointers ‘cause I’m ALWAYS so friggin’ slow at anything I draw…

I’ld watch out for her left hand (the one at the right of the screen) though, the bone structure is a little off - but I’m sure that’s already been corrected as I write this.

DeKal : I really liked your first draft. Now with the car in the BG I find it sorta gives the painting a “nightlife” publicity feel to it (like for the Mitsubishi eclipse with techno in the background or something). Personal taste maybe, or just not matchin' up with what I originally got from the draft. It felt like she was more in a haze the first time ‘round and now things have cleaned up, like she’s walked into the good part of town hehe Maybe that’s what you’re goin’ for ? I’ll be lookin’ for your final submission !

Shannanigan : I’ld make the settings a lot darker : bring out the light from the lamp and it’s reflection on Mary, the car, etc. Should give it a more intimate, secret feel I think Plus I can see the stream of lights flash all the way through the car on their way to the lamp right ? Well makin’ the surroundings darker would help bring that out quite a bit, give you a chance to illuminate the wrecks innards and all.

Daniela Blanco : Thanks very much ! I think you’ll be disappointed with my colours though : I’m leaning towards keepin’ it sepia-ish at the moment I dunno… We’ll see how it goes.

I like the light reflections in your background (the red part with the street lamps) but I’ld say you might want to sharpen the light reflection/shadows somewhat in the foreground (the blue part around Mary) in order for the eye to really see the foreground/background relationship (defined vs. less defined). Plus there seems to be water on the ground : that’s usually a really cool way to exploit light reflection

Courtyard : I don’t know why but she reminds me so much of my niece in that sketch hehe

Sekino : If I can alter someone’s view of the world, even ever so slightly, then I’m happy hehehe Cheers

Arthur Two Sheds : regarding your CHOW Discussion post, I disagree : I like getting to know the characters a little more with some short texts sometimes. There are certain things you won’t always be able to sum up in a single pic for a well rounded character. Like you said : this is concept art, so a little background is important.

I’m with you when you say the pic should tell a story on it’s own, absolutely (again, concept ART right ?). But I think an art director for instance’ld be happy to have that little extra story info along with a pic in order to develop the idea right ? Is it necessary? Not really, but hey it does give you that extra flavour to the whole. Well that’s the way I look at it at any rate.

Great pic by the way.

AUG : I like your WIP02 much better than the first : nothing much but just the change in hair style makes her look so much younger in the second version.

Masque : Cheers ! I can’t remember who said this unfortunately, but here’s the quote : “The world is a tragedy to those of us who feel, and a comedy to those of us who think” (you’ll have to excuse me if I’ve butchered the wording on this one ).

AvisNocturna : I think this will turn out quite nice. The only thing I’ld point out is that the first few times I glanced at your WIP it didn’t click for me right away that the blue sphere had a “pixie” in it. It looked more like a blue-magic-fireball type thing. I’ld give it a go and have the figure pronounced a little more so as to not have it overlooked by distracted-folk such as myself hehe

WOW ok, this post is taking a LOT more time than I reckoned hahaha There are so many participants yet again this round ! I’ll keep it at that this time ‘round then

My two cents !

Last edited by Rambozo; March 22nd, 2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Mix up names hehe

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rambozo For This Useful Post:

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    sorry,i'm out. not liking my idea enough to pursue it till deadline.
    too many awesome entries to comment.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again...*racing* to meet the deadline. This poor girl has gone through so many face lifts...at one point I couldn't stop laughing because she looked so much like Ozzy Osbourne, which wasn't really what I was going for. Here's where I'm at right now...

I want this to be the antithesis of fantasy...stark, fluorescent reality. I'm adding another commuter character to emphasize that outside perspective.

I can't believe the other incredible entries--looking forward to spending time with each of them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish I could comment on every entry I love so far, but it's getting overwhelming (and CA is lagging quite a bit for me today). Off the top of my head, kudos to XTN, Rodimus25, Shannanigan, Rambozo and no_name_brand (along with the ones I already fawned over in my other post ).

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sekino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I'm going to drop out now. I had a bad day today (bad weekend actually). Been sick, went to work out, and it completely drained me. I am happy that I got a good start on my drawing and I plan on finishing it in my free time. I also learned a few things while drawing so that's a good thing. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would liked to have worked on this more, but got pretty sick this week.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.