white ink

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: white ink

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

white ink

I see this little cheat move used time and time again, and it bothers me. it just looks so off to me for some reason, like when someone is drawing high-gloss black leather and they just color it all black and use white gel pens to give highlights....

is it just more or does anyone else see the technique and final product as sort of cheap?

SKETCHBOOK COMING SOON!

I CANT USE CUSTOM PICTURES IN A SIG?! PREPOSTEROUS!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think as long as it works and fits their method or technique, there's no harm or foul to it. In watercolor circles, it's looked down upon for watercolorists to use white gouache to paint in highlights afterwards (because you're supposed to use the white of the paper for that), but many of them do it and as long as it works, fine. There will always be different approaches to everything and I believe that as long as they know other ways to render leather, a little experimentation with a gel pen won't cheapen anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If it looks good, it is good.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Who says it's cheap? There are plenty of artists out there that make a very good living because they make quick, professional quality art using techniques like this. Does it really matter that the white is above or below the black?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    if laying light pigments over dark pigments were "cheating", eveybody would be in trouble.

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

8. The Following User Says Thank You to squidmonk3j For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    this little cheat move
    I can't tell you how tired I am of hearing stuff like this

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is no such thing as "cheating" unless it is stealing someone else's work. If you produce your own work, all is fair game.

Not Pink, I have no idea what your level of skill or professionalism is, so this is NOT directed at you, but one common thing I see in art students is a variety of hang ups they have about things they view as "cheating". Many many artists of very high skill level are not too proud to use everything they can to get a good finished result.

Now, there may be a few techniques that I don't personally think LOOK great, because someone took the easy way out rather than doing things "right". That's a whole different story, more about the finished result than the actual work method. White ink I have zero problem with, although some artists I think over use it and lose their really great solid blacks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see what you all are saying, I don't know... it just always looks somewhat off to me, and I don't have to see the person use it to know that it was used, I can just tell. I think I was upset when I originally posted, so sorry about calling it a cheat move, it is still a technique, just one I don't like.
    engh, to each his own.

SKETCHBOOK COMING SOON!

I CANT USE CUSTOM PICTURES IN A SIG?! PREPOSTEROUS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post an example of one that particularly bothers you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Pink View Post
    I can see what you all are saying, I don't know... it just always looks somewhat off to me, and I don't have to see the person use it to know that it was used, I can just tell.
    This is kind of like "I can always tell when someone is wearing a toupee."
    You're noticing it because it looks somewhat off. If it was done well, you wouldn't notice it, and it wouldn't bother you.
    See my above post.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ShroudStar View Post
    I think as long as it works and fits their method or technique, there's no harm or foul to it. In watercolor circles, it's looked down upon for watercolorists to use white gouache to paint in highlights afterwards (because you're supposed to use the white of the paper for that), but many of them do it and as long as it works, fine. There will always be different approaches to everything and I believe that as long as they know other ways to render leather, a little experimentation with a gel pen won't cheapen anything.
    Watercolor groups are kind of famously anal about stuff, it seems. I mean, my teacher for Watercolor has mentioned that she has a hard time getting work into shows because she often works on clayboard or other non-paper surfaces (a good friend of mine does really amazing work with watercolors on wood panels) and the watercolor contests are all OMG ITS NOT ON PAPER SO ITS NOT REAL WATERCOLORS WTF and won't let the paintings into their shows/contests/galleries.

It's stupid. Whatever you can use to get the effect you want, you should use it. There's no such thing as "cheating" in art just because you're using different tools than someone says you "should."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameRaven View Post
    Watercolor groups are kind of famously anal about stuff, it seems. I mean, my teacher for Watercolor has mentioned that she has a hard time getting work into shows because she often works on clayboard or other non-paper surfaces (a good friend of mine does really amazing work with watercolors on wood panels) and the watercolor contests are all OMG ITS NOT ON PAPER SO ITS NOT REAL WATERCOLORS WTF and won't let the paintings into their shows/contests/galleries.
    Hobbyists

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like using white ink along with the white of the surface. Most papers will end up being a warm white, while the white ink (white Pelikan Plake is great as well) ends up being a cool white. The combination when used right can look really awesome.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The watercolorist things is a pet peeve of mine. Elwell, you hit the nail on the head. Every time I've come to teach at a new school we've had to clear out the hobbyist watercolor group from the serious BFA program. If you ask my students they will tell you that I get a little loud when I address "purists" in any form. Those kind of rules sure put a damper on discovery. Funny I've met quite a few fly-fishermen with the same attitude of dry fly vs. nymphing. The only real fly-fishermen are the dry fly-fishermen syndrome.I like to nymph fish just because of the word nymph. Beware of the "only true way" label. Wow talk about getting off the white ink topic.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.