• 4 1.90%
  • 34 16.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chow 151 :: VOTING :: Puss In Boots

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah ok it was in the second post...I didnt see that, I just looked at the main post (1st one) thanks for the heads up tho. Yeah this is the fist CHOW iv done in prob about 6 months or longer so didnt know this rule

Iv seen a few others have had the same problem so Im guessing they didnt see it either, any chance of getting it in the main post so all the rules are in one post (the first one)? it might save some other people from this issue in the future. Just a suggestion, cheers

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jread's got a point, my entry was cut in round #149 for the same reason and I honestly, truly just did not see that they had to be attached instead of linked, mostly because it's in the second post which has little text and is easy to skim over. Putting everything in the same post might make it a little more visible, I think. I hate to see otherwise good pieces get cut just because they missed that rule. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (double post, oh noes)

There were a lot of good entries this round. Comments on a few:

skekTek: One of the only big cats, it seems. I really like the scene with the tiger up in the rigging (even though actual tigers don't climb, haha) and the whole swashbuckling pirate attitude. Very nice detailing on the tiger's face, too.

KleeWyck: I like your choice of a sphinx cat and his funny rubber boots. The water texture and coloring is prett nice here, but your clouds are a little lumpy and not quite as fluffy or soft-looking as they could be-- I'd work on that the next time you do clouds.

psuedocognition: This little guy is still just so cute. I really like the Egyptian take on the story and his eager expression.

Markito: I still love the delightful cartoony style of this one and the fun tone of the cat in his shiny little boots.

dwinbotp: I really like the soft colors and contemplative expression of this one. Although you added a tail, I can't help but think it seems a little small for him; perhaps a bushier tail next time?

decayinglolita: Still my favorite of the more human versions of puss. You managed to make her a catgirl without going for the obvious sexual take, and I approve. Very nice.

Relic: Speaking of the obvious sexual take on puss... while I'm not a fan of the stripper-puss idea, the overlapping textures on this one are kind of cool, and the colors work together pretty nicely.

dirkvandulmen: Nice lighting and attitude, although I do wonder about those evilly glowing eyes...

Fedezz: I didnt' see this one before, but I really like the stylized, scratchy linework.

daestwen: Boooooots! This one is very simple, but I still really love the colors and joy of the piece.

XTN: Another one I didn't see until recently, but I really enjoy the soft, painterly approach and the blended colors.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Viridis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for:

SkekTek- It's just gorgeous; what else can I say??

FlameRaven- Cute character, well done and I really like that it is a traditional medium.

Pseudocognition- He just looks so friendly! And I like the Egyptian Mau theme. Nice atmosphere.

Shannanigan- He looks very cunning and charming, like in the story. I feel he could totally convince some ogre to turn into a mouse. I like the 'period piece' feel, too.

I also could have voted for the following (I try to not fall for the temptation to vote for 8-9 pieces... But it's hard):

Tatiana, K Mo, Dwinbotp (I just want to cuddle it!!) and XTN.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sekino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm curious-- is there a 'limit' to how many pieces you should vote for? I've always voted for all of the ones I like best (which is usually like 8-10 pieces) but it seems like others are voting for only one or two? Is this a self-imposed thing or not? And if it is self-imposed, why limit your votes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think there is an official limit. Myself, I tend to keep it between 3 and 5 simply because I feel the individual vote has more 'value' if I have to make a decision. I started off thinking we only could vote for one entry (and isn't it how most votes work?).

I just like the selective process I have to go through when imposing myself a limited number. I guess it helps me appreciate each piece for specific reasons. But I think it's very personal. There is no wrong or right way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Big, fat, post.

Who I voted for

skekTek - I like the idea of a big cat Puss in Boots, obviously cuz I made mine a damn lion, but I really like yours. It's very well rendered, his expression is great, the angle is awesome, and the boots are pretty rad too.

pseudocognition - The Egyptian theme was an excellent choice, as I'm sure you know because of how much they loved cats, When I was working on my first bad attempt I looked to yours to see how you rendered the fur, The pose is good, the boots are great, overall very well done.

Ostrander - The idea of a were-cat was pretty awesome, a lot of work too as you had to work on 3 different characters all at once, but it came together very nicely and got the effect of a movie poster. And that tagline is great, I lol'd when I read it.

dwinbotp
    - Your cat is so damn cute it is ridiculous, its boots just enhance this, and the whole background and setting is absolutely beautiful, it really gives the impression of a sort of dreamy world.

Sekino
    - I really love the fairy tale feel of your piece, the expressions on both Puss and the mouse are great, you really get a sense of a story happening, the boots are nicely designed and the colors are very nice too.

Shannanigan - I like that your Puss in Boots is a Colonial 18th century one. The costume is great and your lines are flawless, the whole feel of the piece is superb, and damn, that cane is pimp as hell.

Masque - Your piece is very interesting, I didn't actually get that the smaller cat was dreaming at first, after I realized what the circles were, I was just like oooh, man I'm an idiot. Anyway, The character is great, total swashbuckling badass, the style seems like a 80's cartoon, I'm not sure if you went for that or not, or take it as a complement , but I think you should take it as a complement, as I mean no harm by the comment .

Crits and comments for everyone else

FlameRaven - I liked yours a lot, the detailing in the archway is nicely done, the overall angle is cool, I like his coat too.

KleeWyck - Your concept is pretty cool, a badass hairless sea captain cat, with hook on tail. His expression is good too, I like his tattoo as well, the piece could use some more rendering, some of it feels a little rough, but overall good job.

Lechri - Funny idea with the shish kebab. His left boot seems a little wonky somehow, the colors are good, maybe a different angle or something might have helped it more, but good piece.

Mephistoau - There were a couple things that bothered me about this image, his boots seem a little flat, the right, his left, eye seems a little large, other than that though good piece.

Mercuralis - Sucks that you couldn't get more time with this, I really like your work, very well done, the boots, the textures, everything is great. Would be cool to see it in color .

Nateshaw - While I like the feel of your piece it seems a little unfinished, I think if you worked it more it could be really really cool looking.

agenda-b - Your style seems very unique , reminds me of the first Silk Spectre from Watchmen, gotta love those flames on the boots too.

Amaliax - The costume is nice, but its a bit too anime for my tastes, and parts of it feel unfinished.

entdroid - Yours is pretty funny, the boots are great, and its little hat is priceless.

Digitalshade
    - Your piece has a lot going for it, I like the boots, the grass and the ground texture, theres something about the pose though that feels a little off.

m8y - Haha, yours is a clever idea, a puss in boots skinhead, I think it could use a little more work, then it'd be a really solid piece.

Tatiana - Yours is absolutely adorable, you used great photo reference for the whole thing, so therefore yours came out very well, I love the little neckerchief and boots.

Lt.Action - Great character design, seems like it would be really good for an animation.

CCThrom - Nice idea, I know hiking boots don't really look too much like boots, but maybe you could've made them look a little more booty, lol booty, maybe I'm being uneccesarily picky. Good piece overall though

Revenbo - I like the upper half of yours, when everything gets really large, it doesn't seem to work, it seems like you combined two different robo-puss in boots.

K-Mo
    - Great expression, design and overall everything . It would've been cool to see the forest background, but works without it.

Markito - Interesting take on Puss, but the boots dont really feel that booty, yeah i said booty again, so what. Great image besides that though.

Pauscorpi - Interesting concept, it feels a little unfinished though.

Tommoy
    - Pretty funny take, well done, reminds me a bit of the Cheshire Cat though, his lady friend mayhaps?

AvisNocturna - Your concept is good, but your pose seemed to get less dramatic the more you rendered, great monocle.

Decayinglolita
    - I like that you looked to Doré's vision of Puss in Boots, you took some of the elements from it and made it your own, you really pulled everything together nicely, the pose is good, the only thing that maybe could use more work are some of the colors, but they have a nice feel overall.

JaneM - Yours looks like a badass circus ringleader, cool concept and design.

Relic
    - I think that this could've used a little more work, especially with the boots, it could've worked pretty well.

dirkvandulmen - Yours is pretty spotless, the colors are great, good concept.

Fedezz - Really interesting style and well done.

gerezon - Your piece is well done, I think it could work better if you worked on it a bit more, really interesting take on Puss in Boots.

kovah - Your piece seems a little unfinished, the crotchular region doesn't really seem too accurate anatomy wise.

krytos - Puss in Boots as a hipster? I think you pulled off what you wanted to do well, but maybe some background or more tone variation in the background would help, and she seems a little off balance.

Bara - Very much like the costume and design, the head seems kinda strange with the body, but overall I like it.

Daestwen - Its so cute and cuddly, the boots are nice, and I like the subtle purple lighting.

MJ_Alcazar - You're definitely gettin the hang of things now, less pencil line is visible, better rendering and design, keep up the good work. I love that little hammer the mouse has too .

Sticmann - Your character seems like it would fit in in shows like Angry Beavers, AAH Real Monsters and possibly something along the lines of Ren and Stimpy. Cool design, and it was interesting to see your progress with the thumbnails and such.

XTN - Very nice watercolory fantasy fairy tale feel to yours. The colors are superb, the costume is great, very nice piece.

10. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Wolfentir For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameRaven View Post
    I'm curious-- is there a 'limit' to how many pieces you should vote for? I've always voted for all of the ones I like best (which is usually like 8-10 pieces) but it seems like others are voting for only one or two? Is this a self-imposed thing or not? And if it is self-imposed, why limit your votes?
    I usually vote regardless of any arbitrary limit. I think of a vote as a compliment to the art, so I'm pretty free about it. But I also evaluate a lot of aspects of the art beyond "liking" it, and that usually limits my vote count a lot. I don't think that voting for a fair number of pieces in any way "dilutes" a vote, though -- given the usual number of voters, adding a few more votes for some pieces that are not running in the high range won't affect the result, but can have a very positive effect on the artists.

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

12. The Following User Says Thank You to masque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfentir View Post
    Masque - Your piece is very interesting, I didn't actually get that the smaller cat was dreaming at first, after I realized what the circles were, I was just like oooh, man I'm an idiot. Anyway, The character is great, total swashbuckling badass, the style seems like a 80's cartoon, I'm not sure if you went for that or not, or take it as a complement , but I think you should take it as a complement, as I mean no harm by the comment .
    I absolutely take it as a compliment, and thanks! Yes, the intent was to give a firm nod in the direction of classic cel animation art.

I'm glad the dreamer motif did get recognized, I was a bit unsure whether that point was made strongly enough but I also wanted to avoid such hoary cliches as the "bumpy cloudlike thought balloon dream," so I kept it much more stylized and graphic. It's OK by me if it sort of snuck up on you

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job everyone. Here are a few measly comments on some of my favorite entries.

Shannanigan: Nice drawing! I like that you strengthened the time period this takes place in with the frame design.

Ostrander: My kind of fairy tale. I can see you put a lot of work into this, and it came out great. One of my favorites.

Masque: Great concept. This has an Arabian feel to it, and your drawing style on this really compliments it perfectly.

K-Mo: That facial expression is great, and I like your painting technique.

dwinbotp: I like your kitty's pose. Your tall crop of the picture is interesting and makes it really stand out.

skekTek: Good idea, and a strong picture. I can see where your composition could have been challenging, but you handled it well.

entdroid: I must say with all of these fully painted entries your clean cartoon style was like a welcome breathe of fresh air. I like your use of color, and your handling of cat nipples (ok, that sounded bad...).

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to agenda-b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The reason for the second post was precisely for the reason that people just weren't reading the original post.

The fact is, no matter how i present the rules, someone is not going to notice. I happens ever week, even when I litter the main thread with reminders.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New rules?

you eliminating the compitition daestwin?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wolfentir thanks for the comment dude. Yeah i dunno why, but footwear always drives me nuts not quite sure why I'll try to work on it for the coming pieces. Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for:

Pseudocognition - love the Egyptian take, the pose, the clothing and the rendering, and I really liked the story you added

K-Mo - lots of personality on this guy. Nice rendering, and the hat is awesome.

Also really liked entdroid's and Skek'Tek's.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chate Noire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    The reason for the second post was precisely for the reason that people just weren't reading the original post.

The fact is, no matter how i present the rules, someone is not going to notice. I happens ever week, even when I litter the main thread with reminders.
    well fair enough leaving reminders but doesn't it seem logical to have all the rules in the main post anyway? It would have saved my bacon and a few others this round. I just didn't expect the rules to be split and posted on more than one post, who would expect that? No one would have an excuse for missing one if every rule was posted in the 1st main 'rules' post. it wouldn't hurt right?

anyway sorry I missed out, but great work guys, Im gonna go vote now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wasn't sure how many you could vote for, but i decided to keep it small...
    i voted for skektek because i love tigers and markito cause the character design is great.. plus they are both just awesome, awesome pieces!

thanks for the feedback guys. i didn't initially intend for him to look so cheeky, but throughout the process he got the better of me

woflentir
    - yeah i know.. i totally would have if i had had time. i think for future CHoW's i may have to sacrifice a bit of polish for the sake of having a background too.. it's just that once i start painting i want it to be so detailed! it's actually a major weakness in my process...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jread I'll smash 'em all together for the next round then.

onionface the rules are hardly new, they've been in places for months already, i just have to keep changing the presentation because no one seems to read them.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    jread I'll smash 'em all together for the next round then.

onionface the rules are hardly new, they've been in places for months already, i just have to keep changing the presentation because no one seems to read them.
    Thanks Daestwen, hopefully it will save a few entries from getting disqualified (remember to read the rules everyone!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just as a side note, Daestwen has been extremely lenient with the new rules since they came up for several rounds, and kept letting people into the poll after it was set up and they fixed their naming, attachment and WIPs and whatnot.

That she finally put her foot down and told people to have it right or not get in, was about time, really, must've created a lot of extra work for her, especially in rounds with like 90 entries etc.

And she's been spamming it in the working threads as well.

Onionface, wtf? This is the first she's entered herself for... months? A year? O.o

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out which cats I like best, need some more brewing time on that, lots of awsome entries!

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sorknes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Daestwen is alot nicer about it than I would have been.
    READ. It goes along with this whole professionalism concept...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wolfentir, thanks for the comment. I wish I'd had time to color him, too--he was a lot of fun.

daestwen, speaking as a new CHOW participant (two CHOW's in a row isn't quite enough to get rid of that Newbie squeak when I turn a corner too quick), I have to say that the rules were stated clearly and explicitly enough that I was able to read and follow them fairly easily. Consolidating them to a single post would be helpful--but like JessiBean said: if CHOW is a way of getting people ready for the professional art world, you have to read EVERYTHING. Clients aren't exactly well known for putting all their requirements in a single email reply, and not reading everything is a good way of not getting hired again.

Voting: Last time I didn't realize I could vote for more than one. This time I did. I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with publicly stating who I vote for, though. I usually feel like if I want to critique something I'll do that regardless of whether I voted for a piece or not--and I'm not quite comfortable enough yet to really critique here. Give me a few more rounds to settle in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really thank you all for your votes and comments! Very much appreciated!

Ok, I only vote for 3 so as to be more subjective. Which means I sat here for (literally) an hour agonizing over my choices!

Pseudocognition - The rendering in fab! I love the pose and that TONGUE! It's so adorable it makes me smile every time I see it!

dwinbotp - This is a great piece! Your storytelling and scenery is beautiful!

K-Mo - The expression on his face says it all! Youu loook maaaarvelouse! This character looks like it can be in an animated movie!

VERY close runners up: Shannanigan, Ostrander, and Markito.
    This was a great round everybody!

Reality is only for those who lack imagination
    kadcreations@q.com

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skekTek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Viiic and Fedezz in the same round !! Too good guys !
    Voted Entdroid, Fedezz and agenda b!

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I'm a little upset. I can't "Thank" anybody with the button on the bottom! I don't know whats going on.

So, thanks to K-Mo, Chate Noire, agenda-b, Wolfentir, Sekino, and FlameRaven.

btw, I did know tigers could not climb. That's what the ropes are for.

kadcreations@q.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My fave was Sekino all along...

I also voted for Pseudocognition, Markito, Fedezz, and Dirkvandulmen. Keeping with the limit of 5 thang.

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CCThrom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    skekTek - the "Thanks" button becomes available after a certain post count. I don't know what the magic number is, but it's apparently not very high. You should have that ability soon.

Your "Tiger Puss" was a real standout too... beautiful rendering.

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wolfentir - thanks for taking the time out to crit! And thank you for the compliments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks CCThrom! For the comments and the info!

(Presses button again to no avail...whaaaa!)

kadcreations@q.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    skekTek: If you can see the button but it isn't working, try the support forum.

Sometimes it's just that CA lags so badly that it doesn't hold for some reason.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    skekTck : I love pirates and i love tigers this is purrrrfect. Is at a lovely angle too.

flameraven : I like the perspective on the arch and the expression on his face.

entdroid: THis is great, i like the colours and though i would have never thought have using them myself i think they look awesome

decayinglolia: nice take on the theme, has a lovely atmostshpere around it

dirkvandulmen: Those eyes are awesome, great char design.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to kovah For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1