Sketchbook: freakmod wants to learn how to draw really well

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

freakmod wants to learn how to draw really well

Hey guys,

My name is Witek. I've been lurking around here for a while, admiring your amazing sketchbooks and artwork and wondering if I could ever draw one day. It's the one skill I've always regretted not having in my life, so I decided to start learning a few months ago (other than the few random & horrible attempts in the last couple of years). I've started filling a couple of sketchbooks with scratchy newbie drawings and am starting on the path of learning to draw.. so I'll start this off with a few of the slightly less-atrocious drawings from my sketchbook!

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by freakmod; July 10th, 2009 at 03:20 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little comic I tried out when I saw Microsoft's E3 demo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess drawing must not be a talent you have to acchieve from the day you are born !

Especially in the first like 100 pieces you do you are just copying ... like you copy a foto of someone ...

So maybe you start with learning to concentrade on proportions .... take a picture rasterize it ... rasterize a plance white paper and start to copy

another tip is that you may buy some other pencils ? because it looks like you are using a hb or maybe harder pencil you need variantions to create smoother lines

maybe you do another study on the skull .. try like only darken the shadow spots without making outlines ... or just use quick stripes... you should get a routine in that so you can estimate how the pencil will do his work if you use it like that...

dont use it like a pen

Hope i could tell you some usefull stuff!

If you have a question just pm me ...

Greez Xo.

Just because you are loud do not means that you are interesting !

- Stick figure of creativity

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=160225

Visit my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your reply Xo!

You are right - I was using a normal HB pencil to draw before! Thanks for the advice. I went to the shop and bought myself a brand new 8B pencil! I was told it's the softest one. I have been practicing with it and I can see that it can produce much more variation in line and shade. I've posted a sketch sheet here using it (the first one, with the glasses and glasses case). The only problem I have with this pencil is that the line is almost impossible to erase, no matter how hard I erase I can see a residue left on the paper. So I've been trying to reduce the number of lines I use and draw them correctly the first time. Also this pencil seems to show much more 'grain' of the paper, and it is difficult to sharpen as the pencil tip gets blunt after a few lines. But I'll keep practicing with it.

Here's that sketch and also a few other ones with the old HB pencil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, well I bought myself a new 3B pencil because that 8B was way too soft for me. Here's what I've been sketchng the last couple of days. Some anatomy, some observation. The face turned out horrible, have to work on that more..

Anyways I'd love to hear any tips or critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's never to late to learn, and no art is crappy imo, it's all practice and experience, looks like you're off to a good start though. Decide early where you would like to go with it, how much you would like to learn, and how much you can put into it. then go for it. keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey - Thank you for the comment Izer. I'm going to keep working at it and see where I get!

Tried to sketch some horses and a tractor at a local horse show and discovered how fricking hard it is to sketch moving objects Also some still objects from the house & desk.

Sketchbook - freakmod wants to learn how to draw really well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep at it, it'll be good seeing you progress.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 890 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just keep drawing you'll get there. Good start.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DeeStar, thank you for your comment! I'm also interested to see if I progress over time

mike butkus, thank you for your encouragement. Your work inspires me a lot and your words gave me a boost of confidence

Here's a glass mug I drew last night. Drawing glass is so fun!

Last edited by freakmod; June 24th, 2009 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried drawing another glass cup, but used a white colored pencil for the first time on manilla paper. I don't know if the pencil just sucks, or if it's supposed to be like this, but it was incredibly hard to get a white mark on the page. I had to press down hard and barely got any white going anyway. The texture of the coloring pencil seemed kind of oily instead of the dry powdery feel graphite has. Anyone have any suggestions for better tools to put white highlights on drawings?

Drew the head of a cool looking wolf sculpture I found. Tried to draw an arm from an anatomy book, but epic fail there so far. And finally drew some random objects and a chrome kitchen timer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see you've made a lot of progress in the month that you have posted in this sketchbook. It's really inspiring.

I think you should draw more hands from photo or someone else's hands. Seeing your own hands from your POV is kinda different from seeing someone else's hands. (I feel like a hypocrite, so I think I'll do this too ).

Thanks for the comment on my SB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hammed Al-Tamimi, thanks so much for your words! I'll take your advice and try drawing more hands of other people. It's hard to find a model but I'll try to look for people 'in the wild' at phones or anywhere else I can concentrate on some hands for a few minutes. Hands are such an interesting part of the body and seem to be able to convey so much emotion.

So - where have I been for the last 10 days? I took a well-deserved vacation and visited my brother in Toronto, Canada! I bought a large and a small sketchbook to bring with me on my trip, and promised myself to draw, at the very least, one page a day (on that note, now I know where to get cheap sketchbooks.. Dollar store.. $1.25 for 50 pages and a hard back - awesome!). I ended up drawing quite a few pages (it's way more fun than taking photos, and makes plane rides go by fast ). I'll make a few posts with the drawings and will try to keep them chronological.

To start, my initial plane trips. Got the back of some guy's head on one airplane, then drew the seat in front of me on the next plane, and also drew a quick view of a terminal gate at the Vancouver airport in British Columbia before they started boarding my flight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff man, i'd say just keep going and take in some of that anatomy from time to time, the observational stuff. And if you find yourself in the groove, take a trip down imagination lane.

Those glass renders rocks!!

Sketchbook

Insert very insightful quotes here ...
    - get back to work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    strings, thank you! Your comment means a lot to me. It was not long ago that I wondered if I could ever learn how to draw and it seemed a mysterious and unreachable thing. I wonder if I have enough skill yet to start drawing from imagination (that is the ultimate goal). Maybe I'll give it a shot soon and see what happens..

Ok, here are some more pics from my trip. Some objects in my bro's house that I had a good amount of time to draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some more sketches from my vacation. I tried to draw my brother's face a few times but couldn't quite get it perfect. There are a couple of rough sketches from the Royal Ontario Museum that I did very quickly as the museum was about to close. And then a sketch of a tree in a park, a girl's face that I only had a few seconds to do, and the view from the bumpy "Zoomobile" at the zoo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    about the white highlights on manilla, you might want to try using some chalk. that should give you the kind of results youre looking for. you could also experiment with things like white pastel too, and see what suits you.
    keep on drawing from life and observation, itll take you places. good luck!

>>>CLICK HERE AND CLAIM YOUR FREE* IPOD<<<

*there is no ipod, actually. sorry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wild thing - Chalk or pastel! Why didn't I think of that.. I suppose I haven't let other art mediums enter my mind. Can't wait to pick up some of those and start playing around! Thanks for the comment

I scanned in 2 final drawings from my trip. They are views from the window of the airplane back home. Love clouds, wish I could freeze time while the plane was in between all these beautiful cloud castles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I picked up some charcoal and pastels because of the recommendation of wild thing. Here are my first ever attempts at using either of these media to draw. Color is a new thing for me as well, and it's very interesting how I could make quite a few tones in the pear drawing with only 3 colors.

The glass is 3 charcoal pencils, and the other two drawings are pastels with a bit of charcoal for black.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2B Pencil + Pastel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook, really nice improvment ! I really like the teddy bear you drew, and your pastel looks cool ! Keep it up, you're on the right way, draw a lot from life, maybe more selfportraits, they are really helpfull ! You'll improve really fast ! Take care

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first tries at drawing from imagination. Picked up a W3 Copic Sketch marker and pen. The first attempts are horrid and I have no idea what I'm doing! I then tried some thumbnails to get some ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really like that bunch of banana's you did, the line on them shows good promise, keep practising and you will be where you want to be, before you know it! keep it up, i look forward to seeing more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Walid D - Thank you for the comments and encouragement! I drew a self portrait today as you suggested and it was a lot of fun; it helped me understand the face a lot better!

Dr poPcoRN - It's interesting that you point out the bananas, I hadn't even looked at them anymore as they were drawn a couple months ago. I see what you mean about the line. They were drawn really fast and I can try to do the same with my future line work. Thanks for your comments!

I also tried one of the earlier thumbnails I liked from two angles. Still sketchy (n.p.i.) at drawing from imagination but I'll keep working at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Freakmod,

thanks for stopping by my sketchbook - gave me a chance to come by and check out yours. The ball cap head was great, as are the pastels. Some of your thumbnails near the end show good use of perspective.

I can see development over all the sketches; hope you can see it too. And that you are enjoying doing the work.

Keep at it and keep posting.

Thanks again for your comments, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi REDredux, thanks for checking out my book and for the nice comments! I'm definitely enjoying drawing a LOT. It's the one thing I've always wanted to do for years.

Nothing terribly exciting for this post, but I spent some time working on gesture drawing. I did a bunch of posemaniacs @ 30 seconds, and then today I went to town and drew a bunch of random people I saw. With live people, you have even less time than posemaniacs! T_T

Last edited by freakmod; July 14th, 2009 at 02:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the comment in my sb.

What I'm liking most are the enviroment doodles and the real-life studies. Those are looking great. Pose studies look good so far. If time is an issue with them, it might be a good idea to try 45 or 60 second and then gradually work down the time frame.

The best advice I can give is to try to do some anatomy studies. Bridgman and loomis are good to begin with, as are any physical books. I can see some attempts at hands and portraits, which is great to see that your not afraid to tackle them. and it'd be awesome if you tried to do some with ref.

Overall, looking like a good start, so keep it up and keep working hard!

"Success comes from experience, experience comes from mistakes."

Hamms's Daily Chops

Sketch Group
    [Working Title/We Need More Members]
    Hamms : Valve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies! Keep those up for sure and I always love to see the gesture drawings! They help a ton. Are you using any type of specific reference material? I always recommend checking out Bridgman and Loomis for anatomy. They were particularly easier for me to pick up then others like Vilppu or Hogarth. Keep them coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hamms, thanks a lot for your comments and advice! I'll try longer posemaniacs for a while as you are suggesting. I think it will give me more time to get the body shapes down. I bought an anatomy book by Barrington Barber, and am starting to go through it. I saw a Bridgman book in the bookstore the other day but it was soo expensive I decided not to pick it up. I'll try to find one though, because in the other sketchbooks here I love how everyone's Bridgman studies look. What do you mean by "it'd be awesome if you tried to do some with ref"? That last post is all from either posemaniacs or random people going about their business in town. Certainly not from imagination

Zenchi, thanks for stopping by! The first bunch of gesture drawings are posemaniacs, and the rest are from life observing people in parks or at the library. I'll check out Loomis when I can find a book, thanks!

Slobosaurus, thanks for the encouragement! I do really want to be able to draw anything, so when I see something I figure why not try to draw it, even if it looks really daunting.

Here are a couple of drawings from my walk this morning. I finally got a pencil I am totally happy with - a Staedtler lead holder. Doesn't get dull or worn down for a long time and its easy to keep sharp. Love it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drew my folks a little picture on a canvas board for their anniversary. Was a great learning experience, although I got something a bit wrong on father's face. Lips are penciled in too dark, I think.. Clouds look like they belong in a roadrunner cartoon.

I tried drawing some more of that Lone'lee Inn concept, trying to get a floor plan and develop the surrounding area a bit more. I decided the Inn's architecture is only a triangle-box shape house (not very interesting), so I studied some log cabins for ideas.

I started drawing a motorcycle, but then the owner came and drove off on it. .. Must learn how to sketch faster. Not sure why my freehand circles are still so wobbly. Have to find a technique to draw them smoother.

And finally I've looked at learning a tiny bit of manga for something fresh.

Last edited by freakmod; July 18th, 2009 at 03:31 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 38