Sketchbook: Sketchasarus Rex- Rawr - Page 27

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your approach to clothing, very convincing =]

I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love all your bunch of sketches! always find great little things here and there in those

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been so neglectful and haven't posted in a billion years!! Work has been awesome busy - lots of fun sparkles and glitter magic! I feel a bit rusty when I try to draw solid figures and objects haha. Now that I'm into the routine of the new digs hopefully I will get back to posting regularly!

So many posts! I will go on a comment spree soon!

p sage - if it's just for you than what ever gets the job done!

Thanks Faaunus

Niquey - It gets easier with time to be more on point with your style. It's particularly helpful to write notes about the important aspects of the style. When I was working on a show called Sidekick I always had a post it note that said "More Iconic" on my cintiq, and I had to do a simplify pass for each of my scenes - particularly hands!
    As for reference it varies. 769 is imagination 772 is reference - this post is a bit of both. Sometimes I'll just wander around instagram and grab poses, hair styles, clothes or bits of images I like and cobble them together. More inspirational than anything- and often the sketch wont resemble any of the images that they came from. Sometimes I just sketch people on the streetcar- or at the pub - whatever comes my way

thanks nurraymjo
    SgtBubbles -thanks, expressions are my favorite !
    Flashback - always happy to lend a hand - those things come with time. I still do box studies to warm up- or just to get into the right mind set. You can never do enough boxes.
    iven - Toonboom is not for making websites- Flash is still the king for that. Toonboom is more animation specific, it's becoming the most popular for TV shows and even some feature films - which is my cup of tea . For web based media definitely Flash.
    I don't have a tablet PC - I have a Galaxy note 10 - which is similar to Ipad. I would definitely check out the new Cintiq Companion - it looks pretty juicy.

V3T - thanks! I feel like clothes kick my ass sometimes, glad it doesn't show!

rumpenstiltzkin - thanks! hopefully I'll be better at posting them >.<

Name:  SK008.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  355.5 KBName:  SK009.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  333.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your sketches!
    All your characters are so gestural(?)
    Makes me want to try too!

My Sketchbook
    Crits and help of any kind are more than welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Avon - I love gesture, and the way the body can move. That's why I love animation so much. Watching drawings move when I was a kid was the most amazing and magical thing I'd ever seen.

Sketches - had a shoulder day, and did a bunch of sketches around that, looking at sculptures and photos for ref (red leads in a drafting pencil ) - and the usual digital sketcharoos.
    Name:  SK011.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  294.1 KBName:  SK010.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  247.8 KBName:  SK012.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  108.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketches are awesome! I like your style

My Sketchbook )

Criticism much appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great update. I'm especially interested in that first batch in the latest post. This past week, my study was all about the torso, but I don't feel like I made too much progress, a little maybe, subconscious prolly X). And I'm always diggin you characters. Nice expressions! Especially those heads on post 813.

Niquey 多明
    | My Sketchbook |

| -Hire Me- | My Portfolio |
    | My DeviantArt | My Tumblr | My Blog |

Making mistakes means making progress. So quit the PERFECTIONISM and go make some! [Read this]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How do you make gestures drawing on the go? for example, a person walking on the street?
    That's something I have so much trouble with.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Drawings looking really solid. Heads might be a bit large in the first pic--I'm guessing it's just a habit from drawing so many cartoons.

Good stuff tho.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great updates. I shall be using you for clothing reference when I finally start clothing my naked people!

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was reading your replies from further up and I agree with you! everyone should do some animation, and by that I mean every artist. Your understanding of pose and gesture goes up exponentially as you you through the process.

All the bast matey keep on posting both here and on Facetube!! ha ha ha

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Woolkid

Niquey - thanks! - I find it's best to pick parts you struggle with and spend a sitting focusing on that one thing and how it connects to the stuff around it. If you keep working on the trouble parts- eventually you'll get through all of them... .then you usually find something else you need to work on . At least it keeps us busy!

Flashback - in college drawing from life was part of the course. I found a few good sketch partners and got in the habit of drawing for a few hours a day. That's really it- go out and do it. If you find parts difficult - spend time on those things when you get home. Gestures are great for figuring out where your struggling because you can't work out problems when you draw that fast. Trust me, spend 8 years drawing from life and you will be better at it

Psage - yeah, I've noticed I do that sometimes. Those cartoons will mess with your head haha.

Whirly - thanks, but I highly recommend drawing from life or reference. You can see a bunch of runway model stuff in my sketchbook - that's a really great resource for different fabrics, different cuts, and styles. With a drawing, it's not always clear what type of fabric it is - velvet, cotton, silk, all act differently. Plus there's always artist error, just because it looks okay doesn't mean it's right. Just have fun exploring.

Lightship - Most importantly Cartooning is just fun . Can't take life too seriously, or your drawing!
    Been throwing all my creativity at my job so the pickin is scarce from the past few weeks.
    Name:  sk014.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  114.1 KBName:  sk013.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  327.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoah whoah! I just realize we live in the same area HAH! you're like a sketching loving those sketches!, oh and you animate! where can one see them I love seeing things move, I'm trying to learn it too /complete beginner, because seeing things move is latching onto me now I just find that keeping consistent with the drawing is so hard when animating, anyways love your stuffs!

SKETCHBOOK
    critiques + feedbacks
    please?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 556 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey Rhubix! How are you doing!! - sorry it's been soooooo long since I visited last... as soon as the images start to load I find myself grinning uncontrollably at the sheer fun and characterful life you imbue your work with! Been really busy but had to let you know that Mahran and I have started a new Superhero Challenge here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=271618

Would be awesome cool if you could join the fun as the more the merrier - I am still very busy myself but going to have a crack at something!

Keep rocking! you awesome person you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PoringMaster - consistency when animating is all about comparing your drawings - measure measure measure. always compare your late keys to your earlier ones. On paper it's easy to shift your pages around and compare your volumes- digital you can copy-paste, or draw guides. I can't post my pro animation until the episodes have been shown on tv, and it usually takes a couple years for that. I don't do much animating at home- just the sketching I toss up here.

The7Artist7 - Thanks for dropping by, I can't fault you since I've been so bad at updating >.< - I don't know if I'll have time to contribute to your challenge, but I'll definitely drop by and cheer you folks on

Name:  sk016.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  281.1 KBName:  sk015.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  362.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketches. You can definitely see your cartooning background.

I've been wanting to get into animation this past year, so I see how far I have to get still.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your style, will definitely be checking out this thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketches as usual. On my favorite subject - faces XD. Coolness. Keep em coming!

Niquey 多明
    | My Sketchbook |

Making mistakes means making progress. So quit the PERFECTIONISM and go make some! [Read this]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gestures . I should've really studied animation instead of fine art... :< . Keep up the great work man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientdrake View Post
    Gestures . I should've really studied animation instead of fine art... :< . Keep up the great work man!
    I've switched myself, and it is quite different.

With my experience I think I work better with school being more structured and technical where fine arts can be more expression-based. As one instructor said "learn how to do it then choose what you want to do from what you know and not because you can't."

Hope to see more sketches/work soon, Rhubix!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CraneWife13 View Post
    I've switched myself, and it is quite different.

With my experience I think I work better with school being more structured and technical where fine arts can be more expression-based. As one instructor said "learn how to do it then choose what you want to do from what you know and not because you can't."

Hope to see more sketches/work soon, Rhubix!
    And I definitely believe you/agree. I was expecting slightly something different from it too...saying that I switched to it from graphic design, where it seemed to be the same thing pretty much. Ah well, life is a lesson! ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CraneWife13 - I have always loved cartoons, and animation. There's just something so magical about it. I don't really understand the urge to create photo-real art... you can just take a photo. Drawing to me has always been about creating something - and there's really no better playground than cartooning when you want to create something fantastical.
    My school was quite technical, it had a big foundation in life drawing, perspective and the fundamentals. I agree with you're statement in post 800 (holy crap 800!! yay!) - if you know the fundamentals you can do anything you want.

paintOholic - thanks, I'll try to post more diligently >.<

ancientdrake - fine art is the foundation of my drawing skills. I learned gesture in a life drawing studio with a live model- I studied Hale, Bridgeman, Sheppard, and Loomis. The best place to find character is real life - get out to the park or mall and draw people there - go to the pub - go to the skating rink. Once you know how to draw a person it's much easier to draw a cartoon. Cartooning is just exaggerating and simplifying forms. Theme of the day - haha if you know your fundamentals you're good to go!!

Best way to boost your cartooning is to beef up your life drawing and perspective. The hardest part about cartooning is letting go of the control freak part of your brain and having fun... at least it is for me haha.

Name:  sk017.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  375.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only difference between my fine art and yours, is that my fine art was just ...contemporary art theory and practice, I had to go to the animation's life drawing lessons before. I sketch outside all the time when I get the chance so I can only agree ^_^.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhubix View Post
    CraneWife13 - I have always loved cartoons, and animation. There's just something so magical about it. I don't really understand the urge to create photo-real art...

Cartooning is just exaggerating and simplifying forms. Theme of the day - haha if you know your fundamentals you're good to go!!

Best way to boost your cartooning is to beef up your life drawing and perspective. The hardest part about cartooning is letting go of the control freak part of your brain and having fun... at least it is for me haha.
    I've always loved animation and illustration but didn't really see them as tangible things until more recently. To me "art" was the illustrations I saw in books, or the films I'd watch not the master paintings, etc.

There was a realistic switch to my art once I was 12 or 13, but I never went for full photo-realism. I think I'd like to be able to as a challenge, but I agree about just taking a photo- haha.

The simplifying and exaggeration have been the hardest for me. And yes I have had difficulties letting go!

I like the new sketches, especially the guy with the glasses. His expression is great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ancientdrake - ooh... contemporary art.... I don't really consider that fine art... and some of it borders on not art - a bathtub full of cheese is not really my cup of tea. Definitely steal all the learning you can get from where every you can find it. Cheating is part of animation ;D

CraneWife13 - For letting go, try working with different tools. Try crayon- pen, markers, With your usual materials you're likely to do your usual thing. Clunky tools force you to simplify, because you just can't force detail out of it.
    I also spend lots of time copying from cartoonists I admire - Sean Galloway, Jose Lopez, Stephen Silver, Lorenzo Etherington, to name a few. When your studying cartooning, it's like studying life drawing- you need to explore how the artist simplified- how did they interpret different forms, Where did they cut off details. Look at how great cartoonists employ silhouette.
    The toughest show I worked on was called Sidekick - As a control freak it's really hard to push those crazy forms. I learned a tonne working on that one .

bit o sketches - I just started on a new show today, on top of Ever After High, I'll be doing all the FX design, Layout, and Character clean up - totally jazzed right now.

Name:  sk018.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  184.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips!

Have fun with the new project! Sounds great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Good luck on the new show! Can't wait to see it! And supremely helpful convo I just eaves dropped on ^^ I also have the "letting go" issue. I will be adding this to my notes for sure. And thank you for stopping by my SB! I really appreciate your encouraging comments.

Niquey 多明
    | My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great philosophy, and I agree 100%... if you want realism, take a photograph. It's the same with video games and movies. Why are we so pre-occupied with realism? Who decided that realism was the most important aspect?

I miss the drawings that moved on the big screen. One thing CG will never be is moving drawings. (There's actually a CG project where they're trying to approximate drawings. Again--why?)

Good luck with your character design job! Way to go.

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks CrainWife - I hope the show gets picked up, it's looking pretty stylish!

Niquey - no prob. I love geeking out about cartoons - if it helps someone, that's a bonus!

p sage - I think CG just doesn't know how absolutely mind blowing it could be. It has so much more potential than they're giving it. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is starting to push things. Wreck it Ralph is starting to push.
    Don't they know they can create ANYTHING!! We need some new Cadillacs and Dinosaurs - or Biker mice from Mars. There are too many boy-girl stories- too many safe ideas. The real problem isn't with creativity, here in North America - it's with funding. Japan, France, and Spain, are more willing to put money out for creative ideas. America likes safe bets. Hopefully the economy will recover and people will start taking risks again!

Name:  sb_01.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  375.7 KBName:  Poppbies.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  156.4 KBName:  bg1_r1.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  300.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha no doubt, Rhubix. It seems to me, though, like the CG movie industry is a great big rush to the bank... a multi-billion dollar industry. Seems like there's enough money to do everything.

Japan, though.... seems they're still dedicated to them moving drawings... so maybe there's something to that

RE your update... nice sketches. As Silver might say... "Just do MORE"

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook