Sketchbook: naka's sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: naka's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

naka's sketchbook

Warm-ups, doodles while watching TV or talking on the phone etc. Mostly done with pencils, sometimes soft pastels. Sometimes quick works done directly in Photoshop/Painter. Enough "bla, bla", starting posting ^_^ comments and crits welcome =]

Attached Images Attached Images                    
    Last edited by nakatoni; March 15th, 2009 at 03:47 AM. Reason: image
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...and some more digital - photoshop/painter/tablet

Last edited by nakatoni; March 22nd, 2009 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool stuff.
    i like the atmosphere of the one with the troll holding the heart.
    the faces are allso a fav. keep it up Naka!
    Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Shaman-Marc
    Some more digital sketches/concepts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some traditional and digital newest... and some older ones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaaaand animals ^_^ Because I've always lived with animals and in fact I'm animal scientist/breeder by education. These works were done with pencil or pencil pastels or soft pastels, all Derwent because I love the quality of their drawing products. They are pretty finished but still I put them in sketchbook area as I don't have enough courage to start a thread with finished works.
    All from refs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like your talent is less than many other artists here (in terms of the level of realism and skill with anatomy) but at the same time I find your work very compelling (in terms of composition and style). Your cat pictures are much more realistic looking than you people pictures. All of your stuff is interesting. Please keep growing your sketchbook.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahami For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahami View Post
    I feel like your talent is less than many other artists here (in terms of the level of realism and skill with anatomy) but at the same time I find your work very compelling (in terms of composition and style). Your cat pictures are much more realistic looking than you people pictures. All of your stuff is interesting. Please keep growing your sketchbook.
    I know I lack of talent/skill etc, I can't draw and I'm aware of that. I never had the money to take drawing classes, never really wanted because I had much work with animals for all of my life.
    This is sketchbook - after you words I know I shouldn't post my finished works as they are really bad, even if i happen to write for some graphic magazines it must be a mistake. I'm old and most likely i will eventually turn to draw only animals as people - like you say, even if it is a sketchbook - are not my strong side.
    Forgive me being like that, for last three months I had big problems, many decisions made without my agreement, many refusals from various publishers - at least now I know why. yet again - it is a sketchbook. I know I have no skills but I like drawing. If you want to see finished works please go to my website linked in my profile or to my dA gallery. But it's not a must.
    people do many things to please themselves. I draw, paint, I am animals photographer. And strange feeling, but your comment made me feel like it is all worth doing still.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    please change this statement "I'm not an artist."
    you reached. great work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sandeepbarot View Post
    please change this statement "I'm not an artist."
    you reached. great work.
    Thank you. But I really don't like the name "artist' and by no means I am one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little update while I have a break from my current big project - Wild Africa, a series of digital paintings to be printed out on huge panels. Can't show even one pixel of them 8)
    I miss spring... so I felt like painting this 1,5 hours landscape.
    And a painting of frisian horse, reference used, done in Painter. Oh boy, I need to spend some time with horses soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some really good stuff in here. Don't get discouraged. I think you have more skill than you think you do. Right now what's probably throwing you off is that your stuff is a little hit or miss right now. Some of the stuff is quite good and some misses the mark by a little and is just okay (usually a problem with form. study the planes of the face and that should help).

But the hit or miss thing isn't a sign that your really nice ones are flukes, it just shows that you're in the middle of having your art jump up to the next level. A little more practice and you'll have more hits, less misses and then after awhile what you consider your very best work now will become your norm with an occasional piece that is dramatically better and you'll start the cycle all over again getting a little better every time.

On this one you've got a really ambitious view, but from this angle you lost the structure of the face, most notably the jaw line. You should be able to see the underside of the jaw from this angle. Give a quick check in an anatomy book and you'll understand.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1237754623

This one is really nice. The gesture of the horse is spot on and so is the anatomy. You capture the shine of the coat really well too. The only problem I see is just in front of and above the hip the shading makes it look like there is a large dip in which doesn't make sense. Double check your reference on the shape and strength of that shadow.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1238171093

This one is nice. I love the colors in the beak!
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1237756145

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dig your animals, especially the color pencil cats are inspiring.
    I suggest you study some human anatomy, it's quite fun and you'll look at people in a different (creepy) way

- btw. realism is less of a talent than a "craft" (not an art) that can be learnt, at least I keep telling myself that. And being an artist is not necessarily something to be proud of either, so take this elitist sentence out of your sig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No time no post, been busy as hell but in between big works I found the time to loosen my brushes and made some sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some very excellent pieces there, the portraits look great and so do the quick paintings. Keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Icedearth15876 View Post
    You have some very excellent pieces there, the portraits look great and so do the quick paintings. Keep up the good work
    Thank you very much!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.