Thunderdome!! Madster vs Me. - Page 5
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Should Madster be forced to put her money where her mouth is and take me on?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • SMAAASHHHH!

58 71.60%
  • No, art's a terrible way to solve a problem. You should drink cocoa and fondle each other.

23 28.40%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Thunderdome!! Madster vs Me.

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What are you talking about, man?

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this solves the problem.

3. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is all fun and fine, I just want to comment on a few things:

age - Drawing is not like sports where you reach your peak at 22 and retire at 28. If you can write, you should have the necessary motorical and mental abilities learn drawing at any given age.

economical crisis - Sure, let's all study economics and become bankers - that'll be a safe career choice (hurhur)

protestant ethics and moneys - "work and go to heaven": Get a "safe" and "useful" job so you can afford a car, a cell phone, a house and a family, so that your children may repeat the whole process, and you will live happily ever after; however, this is not reality. In reality we (probably) only live once, and if earning money, drinking, fucking and creating children is all there is to it, why even bother?

Common sense is a lie and any skeptic can beat naive realism, now go and catch your dreams.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Keeviin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fuck yeah insect battle! Lol

¡Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I recommend we blow this way more out of proportion than you already have.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 556 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by madster View Post
    And for all you SERIOUS artists who decided at 16, 18, 22, 30, or however old, to become an artist, how about a show of hands of you as to whether or not you are actually, financially SUPPORTING yourself JUST with your art?
    *raises hand*
    I'll chime in on this. I decided when i was about 21, going to a junior college at the time, that video game concept art was what i wanted to do. Nowadays i go to work, draw about 8 hours a day 5 days a week, work for a great game studio, and am supporting myself and living what i consider quite comfortably.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Born in Fife, Scotland in 1951, Jack Vettriano left school at sixteen to become a mining engineer. For his twenty-first birthday, a girlfriend gave him a set of watercolour paints and, from then on, he spent much of his spare time teaching himself to paint.

In 1989, he submitted two paintings to the Royal Scottish Academy's annual exhibition; both were accepted and sold on the first day. The following year, an equally enthusiastic reaction greeted the three paintings, which he entered for the prestigious Summer Exhibition at London's Royal Academy and his new life as an artist began from that point on.

Over the last twenty years, interest in Vettriano's work has grown consistently. There have been sell-out solo exhibitions in Edinburgh, London, Hong Kong and New York.

2004 was an exceptional year in Vettriano's career; his best known painting, The Singing Butler was sold at Sotheby's for close to £750,000; he was awarded an OBE for Services to the Visual Arts and was the subject of a South Bank Show documentary, entitled 'Jack Vettriano: The People's Painter'.
    This guy was 38 before he sold his first painting. Now he's Britain's most popular artist. I don't like his work really, but by Madster's standards, financial success is the end result. I rest my case.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made cookies for those of us interested in snacking while being entertained.

Edit: madster, you aren't allowed any of the cookies. Thanking me won't get you points nor delicious baked treats.

Last edited by IanE; March 14th, 2009 at 07:51 PM.
    Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IanE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why not just thunderdome, what else you got to do madster? From the sound of you, you seem to have already read all of the pretentious literature that exists. Just come down from mount olympus for a while and indulge the mere mortals for a bit. You can get back to the important universe creation any time, since your immortal and stuff.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blahm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonGX View Post
    I'm gonna agree with Madster. She is trying to save the poor kid the time, money and anguish of not making it. Not that I'm saying the kid won't make it, but he really needs to reconsider the priorities in his life. Many people have tried and failed to make it as an artist. Most of them spent either a lot of time or money, or both. I have a friend who is 50K in debt because of art school loans, working in a field completely unrelated.
    Your friend is lame, I know plenty of people like that who are still learning art, not going into other fields, cuz they still want art. Maybe your friend's other friends *cough* should be more supportive instead of preaching realities at them. Oh damn, I just realized I'm 20 something, thousands of dollars in debt, and still pursuing art. Shit.

S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty glad I haven't been here to know what the hell all this is about but from what I can tell, its no ones place to tell someone they are going to be an artist or not. Let their work decide that. All we can do as a group is critique a person's work and that in turn might push them into a professional direction. Anyone who is serious about being a professional artist and has the skills will most likely do it, anyone else is not our problem. If they're not cut out for it, just let it go and move on. Less competition for everyone.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blahm View Post
    Why not just thunderdome, what else you got to do madster? From the sound of you, you seem to have already read all of the pretentious literature that exists. Just come down from mount olympus for a while and indulge the mere mortals for a bit. You can get back to the important universe creation any time, since your immortal and stuff.
    Honestly, Blahm, at another point in time, I'd probably give it a go. But, at this very specific juncture, I have a husband 1500 miles away on a deathwatch for my father in law. Death is one of those unfortunate realities in Life that sap a LOT of your interest in creativity if the one dying is someone you are close to...I had to remain here, because the last minute plans require me to tend to the day-to-day operations here. It took an effort to go to the St. Patrick's Parade today, but since I had announced it in the Local Artists Groups on the 7th, four days before Dad's health shit hit the fan, I needed to go, even if I wasn't able to meet up with anyone...This is not to attempt to garner any sympathy, nor to make any excuses. I need no excuses to simply say "No." But it is an explanation of why even a friendly art competition at this point is of no interest to me. When the competition is couched in this type of nasty, rude, and tacky posturing, it's not even a real challenge. It's just blowing smoke up someone's ass. Not mine, though...

There's also the not-so-insignificant matter of Protocol. Dirty C's classless and tacky manner is quite simply not worthy of my interest. His continued infantile ranting merely validates my opinion that if he were Andrew Jones (our Beloved Android) himself, and I a combination of Android AND Marko combined, I would not respond to his lame Thunderdome challenge. Just because he stomps around making a lot of noise does not in any way qualify him for any serious consideration (nor does the various huffing, puffing, taunting, and other low-class antics attempted)...Thunderdome is similar to W.O.W. in that you can't really have a battle unless both contenders agree to it. Dirty C is nowhere near worthy even for consideration, and never will be. Sorry.

It's not so much a matter of coming down from Mt. Olympus, as much as I don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone. Love me, hate me, learn from me or don't. I don't cry myself to sleep lamenting the bad art, nor joyously sing for the successes. I don't force anyone to do anything, including read my posts. That is their choice, and there is an Ignore function for those who don't like what I have to say.

I would like to take this moment, to sincerely thank those members who are able to see the logic of what I wrote, and the practicality/sincerity of choosing art as a career at the age of 16, in order to stay in the US longer than 10 months...For those of you who not only understood this, but actually put YOUR necks on the Flaming Line to defend me, I am truly honored and humbled by your actions on my behalf.

So, once again, I suggest that the WhinyBabies who are SO irate and SO trying to come across as bad-ass and vengeful justice personified (and yes, Dirty C, you're at the TOP of that list) go forth and channel that energy into something more fruitful than continued mewlings about me. I don't rise to baiting, I don't even bother responding to rude and classless challenges, and I'm NOT going to change my way of replying to posts in a PUBLIC forum just because YOU don't like it.

Now, if you really WERE Android, or Marko, or Msr. Manley himself, there would be some chance in persuading me to modify my behaviors. But you're not. So your outrage and angst really has no effect on me, except to make me laugh at the sheer silliness of it. And, since things are somewhat melancholy at present, a good laugh is ALWAYS welcome.

Thank you Blahm, for your considerate, mature, and plain spoken post. THAT is effective communication without the Drama. Some of you could learn a thing or two from Blahm...

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Madster, you're being a massive hypocrite.
    Saying everyone else has no tact, and here you are name calling 'whinybabies'. You're responsding to this thread to say you're above responding to it. You act like you're a total victim of this whole thing, but your legacy on this forum is nothing but abusive negativity. Don't act so suprised when someone calls you out on it..
    It seems like this forum is nothing but a way for you to make yourself feel better by putting everyone else down.

If you go around acting like an asshole, expect to get an equally abrasive reply.
    So Christian called you out, big deal

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Born in Fife, Scotland in 1951, Jack Vettriano left school at sixteen to become a mining engineer. For his twenty-first birthday, a girlfriend gave him a set of watercolour paints and, from then on, he spent much of his spare time teaching himself to paint.

In 1989, he submitted two paintings to the Royal Scottish Academy's annual exhibition; both were accepted and sold on the first day. The following year, an equally enthusiastic reaction greeted the three paintings, which he entered for the prestigious Summer Exhibition at London's Royal Academy and his new life as an artist began from that point on.

Over the last twenty years, interest in Vettriano's work has grown consistently. There have been sell-out solo exhibitions in Edinburgh, London, Hong Kong and New York.

2004 was an exceptional year in Vettriano's career; his best known painting, The Singing Butler was sold at Sotheby's for close to £750,000; he was awarded an OBE for Services to the Visual Arts and was the subject of a South Bank Show documentary, entitled 'Jack Vettriano: The People's Painter'.

This guy was 38 before he sold his first painting. Now he's Britain's most popular artist. I don't like his work really, but by Madster's standards, financial success is the end result. I rest my case.
    Ummm. What case, Binky? Vettriano didn't go to a foreign country and DECIDE to pursue art as a career in order to stay in the country longer than his Visa would allow. He took the paints, and "from then on, he spent much of his spare time teaching himself to paint.

Some of you really must not have done well with reading comprehension, because you quite simply do not understand what I wrote. And I used pretty basic English...

But it is HIGHLY amusing to see you all get your knickers in SUCH a gather over something you didn't understand in the first place!

I've YET to see any of you find a "late blooming" artist who chose art as a career on a whim, for the thin reasons of staying in the US. NEITHER have I seen any of you post an example of an artist who didn't have the DRIVE to be an artist enough to simply do it. Even those who went to school (like Frazetta) made it because they put the effort and the time into it. The presented examples in that thread are NOT skilled, nor very talented. They are mediocre at best, and are not some Master Artisan's early works.

I like the statement, "less competition for the rest of us." If someone WANTS to be an artist, do ANY of you REALLY think MY reply would stop it? Even I don't put myself in THAT rarified of a realm...If you think my pronouncements THAT powerful, why the hell are you arguing with me in the first place? Go draw something! That should be just as powerful an opinion from me, by your standards...

Ooh, the power in my words....I never suspected...lol!

~M

I am The Choosen One!

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Last call, folks. Closing time is soon. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it open. I haven't had this much fun in the lounge since the election.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James Kei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the love of fuck... please just disappear again already.

And will someone lock this goddamn thread.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to romance For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sure..
    In the end Madster is just hating because she fucked up her life. She did'nt have the drive or know-how or people skills to learn how to get anywhere. So she's gonna come on CA to try to keep others down to make herself feel better.

Someone called her out, she gives a bunch of bullshit excuses to puss out of it, and continues to rant and rave, acting like she has any idea like she knows what she's talking about. Madster, I suggest if you really don't want this type of conflict, learn to ignore it, or just shut your mouth from now on. Your comments are only good for making you look like a bitter old woman who wishes she did something better with herself.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this is the lines that madster was thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    There was once a student of the violin who sought out a master to play for him and ask his advice. “O wise teacher,” he said “do I have what it takes to be a great violinist?” “No,” responded the master. “Perhaps you would be more suited to a regular career.”

Crestfallen, the student put away his violin, and turned with a sigh to a career in banking. And ultimately he became a successful and happy banker.

Many years later he met the master violinist again. The student-turned banker said to him “Because you opened my eyes to my inadequacy as a violinist, I am now wealthy and have a stable career and a good family. It frightens me to think of the life I would have led as a second-rate violinist. Thank you for warning me away from playing the violin.”

The master violinist smiled sadly at the banker, and replied: “I tell all of the students they are inadequate. It is the ones who choose not to listen to me that have the stubbornness to succeed.”

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bump for lock

34. The Following User Says Thank You to B u r l For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    Madster, you're being a massive hypocrite.
    Saying everyone else has no tact, and here you are name calling 'whinybabies'. You're responsding to this thread to say you're above responding to it. You act like you're a total victim of this whole thing, but your legacy on this forum is nothing but abusive negativity. Don't act so suprised when someone calls you out on it..
    It seems like this forum is nothing but a way for you to make yourself feel better by putting everyone else down.

If you go around acting like an asshole, expect to get an equally abrasive reply.
    So Christian called you out, big deal
    That's MY opinion about it. Big deal...
    I'm not playing the victim, what planet are you on? I'm also NOT saying
    "EVERYONE" has no tact. Are you another person who can't read well and understand the meaning of what you read?

STOP putting words into my mouth, and STOP putting me into your IMAGINARY positions. If you're going to spout your opinion on this, at least TRY to get the situation, and the discussion straight, and not make things up to justify YOUR unrequested yap yap about it.

If ANYONE were to give me "AN EQUALLY ABRASIVE REPLY," it would NOT be Dirty C. It would be the ORIGINAL POSTER.
    Where does this "vigilante defender" crap fit into your equasion? It's more a matter of "my reply in that thread was NOT directed at you, so you have nothing to say to ME about it.

No one asked for, nor needed this "defense." I'm not playing a victim, in the simple fact, that I'm not playing. I STILL stand by what I said. Those who CAN read and comprehend understand what I wrote, and also see the logic and honesty in it. The rest of you are spouting off in a situation that does not involve you, and has NOTHING to do with you. That doesn't make me a victim, nor am I trying to portray one. It doesn't affect me. Why can't some of you accept it, even though you can't understand it?

It is EXACTLY this behaviour on your parts that justifies the term WHINY BABIES. If you would simply stop whining about a situation that has NOTHING to do with you, and that you have absolutely NO control over, there would be NO issue at all...

~C

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Burl View Post
    bump for lock
    SECONDED!
    ~M

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Before this closes I'm gonna say insults are needless and should be rebuffed. Regardless of how well or poorly the target takes it cruelty is cruelty. Public forum or not, society has a responsibility.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.