Front Page of CA

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Front Page of CA

Ok so me and DannySketch were having a chinwag about CA today and why it might not appeal to alot of people on our course (BA Illustration btw). To me, the main problem is that it must just seem like a major overload of tangled threads and such to the newcomer. I've pointed a few friends the direction of CA and the first reply I get is 'where do I start?' and then with me on hand i point them in the direction of some useful threads like the editorial and the UK thread (I'm from the UK). Another response is 'where is all the content?', alot of people might pass CA up witohut a friend showing them where!

So it got me thinking. The first thing a person sees when they find CA is the frontpage, which for many reason doesn't get updated that often. Is their not a way to link key threads into the news feed? Oblio's editorial thread would be perfect for this. So when a person jumps onto CA they see things posted into that thread, which in turn link through to the interesting content.

just a thought, what do people think?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd just point people to the SB and FF forums constantly updating and too much to see in ten sittings

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I don't think a re-design of the site could hurt (in terms of the front page) but as far as the "Where do I start?"

It really depends what level you're at as an artist. I mean that people come in here for different reasons, and the site is rather massive. You said "here's the UK threads" but why would I care about the UK threads if I'm in the US? Word of mouth and the community point to the right direction.

I show people threads that's relevant to their interests, and I just spent time lurking and browsing through threads (long before I decided I wanted an account). Just as the process of art should be, it does take time to absorb information. CA shouldn't be an instant fix.

This is just my personal opinion of course, but I agree about a possible redesign, I think the problem already is "what is important" to the community as a whole. You and I already have different ideas of what is important.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's an interesting point actually. When I first saw this site, the thing that immediately grabbed me was the galleries on the front page. Obviously I was awed by the quality of the work, but it wasn't until years and years later that I realized how much useful information there was for learning on this site.

My understanding now is that the point of this site is for people to grow as artists, but really that isn't too obvious at first glance. Maybe some front page linkage to the Studies/Discovery forum is in order?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A while back I made this suggestion:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=117552

and this one a little later on:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=133761

I still think that the main issue as far as newcommers go, is a lack of orientation information. A new users section at the head of the main forums index would do much to clarify things and make it easier for new users, and new guests to navigate their way around and make sense of this place.

Its not going to be as simple as a couple motivated members posting stickied threads though. To do it well, we'll likely need a small team of regular users (especially people who have been around for a long time) to provide summaries, suggestions and necessary links. Its really important that this section be the first thing you see when you log into the forums though, I think that's the main thing.

I have some more thoughts about this stuff, if a new users section is something we want to pursue. I've been thinking about it a lot actually.

Maybe the lounge might be a more effective place to brainstorm than the support section, since it pulls in more traffic.

Last edited by Jasonwclark; March 13th, 2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well looking at the front page real estate, the Download banners need to be smaller, and rotating, you can easily add some ad server software to do that so you can see things like geo-targetting etc. The one I used was freeware and rather nice.

It should mention on the side of the banner, how they're educational downloads that support Concept Art. I'm basically saying that the current Kemp Remillard banner should be for all the Massive Black downloads, there are too many banners on the page that are rather large and can get confusing.

That would free up space for a new users/wiki area of Concept Art..teaser. The current area where the other two sales items are, the Felix and Kelly would be a good spot for that area.

News Features is a a big blank? ...why? You could have a podcast feed there... You could even add in Podcasts to Vbulletin too.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,637 Times in 3,790 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Talking about the download banners - they're just a few red blocks to me. I can see them properly when I'm at work, but not at home, yet I used to.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    try clearing your cache. I wouldn't mind a simple, big button that said, "beginners start here". It could load to the educational forums, and/or the crit section.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Talking about the download banners - they're just a few red blocks to me. I can see them properly when I'm at work, but not at home, yet I used to.
    You might want to clear your cache and private data, if you're using Firefox. It's a bug with the browser.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,291 Times in 2,826 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The main page is getting a big update and a TON of content. However I am just a php programmer short of making it happen quickly.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,637 Times in 3,790 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    You might want to clear your cache and private data, if you're using Firefox. It's a bug with the browser.
    I clear my cache/private data regularly, but I'm using Firefox, so thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that the front page can be overloaded and takes forever to load. Many of us do not have the high speed that is why I always skip the front page and go right to the forum.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some very good things bouncing about and thankyou jason for an update, I suspected as much.

Arshes your right, how do we decide whats important? can anyone even do that? I merely said i link people through to the UK thread because most people I meet in real life are form the UK and that would maybe feel homely for them.

Jason, yes very good ideas, I was specifically trying to think of things that use what we already have here at CA, as to not increase anyones workload when its set up. Like just make the community itself sorta run the front page through feeds to said threads.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.