How you draw with tablet?!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi,

I try both photoshop and Painter and use lot's of brushes ... But nothing same as pencil and paper!

That's very creative tool for painting, But really hateful for drawing!

I can't shade like HB or draw clean lines ... can't feel pressure sensitivity like pencil...

Whats wrong?! ... Do you really draw with that sh**!!???

Thanks

Last edited by niima; March 12th, 2009 at 05:57 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Practice with it. If you want the pressure sensitivity, make sure you have the driver installed that'll enable Photoshop to register it. If you want the thin pencil sketch lines, a really small point/tip with the pencil tool in Photoshop on 90-100% opacity should do the trick. I personally use OpenCanvas for my finer sketch lines, as it feels more tactile.

Other than that, just play and experiment around in it. Sooner or later, your pencil and paper experience will transfer over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, if you want a paper and pencil look with a paper and pencil feel then use paper and pencil, otherwise make that cursor on screen go where you want it to go.

"It's worth the grief." - Greg Manchess

--SSG #46--
    Blaz | MarkWinters | petitemistress | sfa | Shmaba

SketchbookWebsiteBlog

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkWinters For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You could put a piece of paper on your tablet if you want. I mean actually placing a piece of paper over the tablet surface. It will still be able to make strokes.

Nowruz is coming up soon :o Have fun!

Last edited by Arshes Nei; March 12th, 2009 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys,

ShroudStar: I give it try and practice more, nice tips...
    MarkWinters: thats ultimate truth! ... I love genius minds!
    Arshes Nei: nice trick, so much thanks...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What helped for me was to do 10 mins or so of warm up excersizes before drawing. Some ideas:

Try to draw a grid of perfectly horizontal and vertical lines.
    Try to draw round circles with an X that crosses in the center.
    Draw a series of long lines that cross eachother all in the same point.
    Try drawing correct elipses.

I noticed that once I did these warm up rounds my hand eye coordination was better. Another important thing is to stop obsessing about getting the same quality as on paper with every line, that will just come by practicing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @niima

If you're going to put paper over your tablet, your pen tip may end up getting used up a lot faster.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hell yeah!! at last connecting internet with 44KB/S after 2 hours, 52 redials, 12 disconnections and 15 not responding messages!!! anyway...

rubbadub: your right, I need to stop obsessing about getting the same feeling as on paper and pencil!!

l33t fl33t: I can't do that, because I use Myelin-shield, thanks for warning!

Finally, I decide to draw traditionally like past, and scan it for digital painting or re-touching!

Thanks all...and sorry again for grammar!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try using a small round brush with opacity set to pen pressure and you will draw as clean as pencil.

check this video and hope it helps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bc0mNcMaug

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Diego For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Diego,

Ahhh damn, I can't see video, Because I use 56KB Dial-up connection, and youtube.com blocked by islamic republic!
    ...I need 2 minutes for downloading 1024x768/72DPI JPG file!!
    ...You can't believe this, I download latest nVidia Driver (79mb) in 13 Hours with more than 150 disconnections!!

IS THERE ANY OPTION TO BUY CA.ORG DVD's FROM IRAN?!
    I need some tutorials before shifting from traditional medium to digital medium!

Last edited by niima; March 13th, 2009 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    in the free stuff/tutorials section over at www.3dtotal.com you can find a lot of basic to advance tutorials, about photoshop and digital painting...brush settings and all that stuff, and just web stuff, text and pictures so it will be easier for you to save i think. hope it helps nima

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diego For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    niima, you might wanna try connecting to a vpn like http://hotspotshield.com/ to get around that youtube block. no idea how to improve that poor 56kb line though

good luck with your tablet, it just takes practice. i suggest just to fill a page with straight lines and circles and ellipses every day for warm-up and you'll get a pretty good feel for it like lickety!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mm... I found that I would get reasonably "good" with the tablet, but as soon as I went back to pencil and paper things would suddenly seem a whole lot easier. Ultimately you can learn to work with a tablet, but it can never be quite the same. It's a very useful tool for colouring and throwing rough ideas together (especially experimenting with custom brushes and the like) but has it's limitations.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vijil View Post
    Mm... I found that I would get reasonably "good" with the tablet, but as soon as I went back to pencil and paper things would suddenly seem a whole lot easier. Ultimately you can learn to work with a tablet, but it can never be quite the same. It's a very useful tool for colouring and throwing rough ideas together (especially experimenting with custom brushes and the like) but has it's limitations.
    Just like every other medium.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am the complete opposite. I drew a lot as a child and while growing up, but fell away from practice for many years and only started back relatively recently. When I did start again I was tempted more and more by the digital side of things. I now find it more difficult to draw or sketch on paper... and it's not just a matter of having CTRL+Z or a perfect eraser. I'd like to develop the habit of sketching on paper again.... mainly for extra practice and the fact it can be done anytime/anywhere without lugging a laptop around... but I would see that as something that would aid my digital development.

To digress slightly: The hard distinction some people place between 'drawing' and 'painting' when we are talking about digital art confuses me - surely they are both ways of making digital marks on digital canvases? Why should one be harder than the other?

Not meaning to step on any toes... just letting my thoughts ramble

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i think how hard we try to get the filling of drawing on paper with pencil on this wacom, it will not the same.
    I keep practice on both media, just enjoy both characters, cos each type of it has it own plus and minus.

I agree with JohnMalcolm1970 , drawing - painting - and digital painting has it own path ... so try to combine it you'll see the magic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've found using (in Photoshop) the tablet with brush set to 2pix (100% opiacity, since the amount of pressure used seems to be picked up in terms of transparency) gets more or less the same results as I would on paper. I think a lot of it is down to how you draw with traditional methods - I use a lot of very small sketchy strokes with different amounts of pressure because I'm used to just using one sort of pencil when I sketch, but someone who uses different pencils for different things might find a complete opposite method more useful in a digital medium.

Experimenting is the best way really! Try out random things and see what works best for you. The main blessing of working digitally is that there is no waste and anything you do wrong can be quickly reversed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been having severe trouble with this as well. Horizontal lines are easy but it's very difficult to draw a vertical. Possibly this is because I draw with my tablet on my lap, I should try with it on a table.

One thing that's been helping is to write on the tablet, and to make scribbles that look like asian characters. Seems to be helping, and also I can tell that I'm getting better over time so it's all good.

To the OP: in the short term it may be easier to just paint with it and not try to draw. Or use it like an airbrush, with stencils and lots of layers.

Members who have read this thread: 1