And what if I've messed up? SVA

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

And what if I've messed up? SVA

I will have to keep this brief, I'm going to a portfolio workshop in a few.

Basically, I have GPA of 2.79 and a ton of Withdrawals from a Community College on my transcript due to stupidity. The last semester was because I was willfully withdrawing and dealing with a personal trauma (I had straight A's and B's the two semesters before) and now I've returned and am making straight A's again. However, before that there is a smattering of courses I withdrew from or stopped showing up to because I was an idiot.

My GPA should be 3.12 if I maintain the grades I have now by the end of the semester. I want to transfer to SVA. A representative of the department I want to enter told me to send a copy of my transcript to him via e-mail so he could see what other courses I need to take and I'm kind of scared he'll see all the old withdrawals and say "nope, don't bother"

Any steps I could take to help my entry? Letters of recommendation or a good statement of intent... a glowing portfolio? All of the above? lol

I'm scared! :> but excited. Entry to the program for spring is limited but I'm going to try anyway and if all else fails, next fall.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,677 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have to include some sort of written statement/essay with your application, right? That would be the place to address this (not in a self-pitying or making excuses way, simply explain were you were versus were you are now). And of course, the stronger the rest of your application package, the better, no matter what.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Elwell is right (as usual). A well-written, non-whiny letter explaining the history should cover it. That you're bringing up the GPA by maintaining stronger grades now should count as well.

~R

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.