Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You're coming along nicely, I also just started with the Loomis heads, they're great! I recommend you also check out Loomis' figure drawing, it'll do a lot to your proportions.

best wishes

Thanks
    GoGoJojo - Haha, cool! Thanks
    Turbosnail - Cheers. I still have a lot of trouble with figures, especially the legs. I'm glad there is a bit of improvement! hehe
    artistcaleb - Thanks
    Keeviin - Thanks for the comment. I'm not really a fan of Loomis's method of creating figures, I don't think it suits with my way of drawing, bridgman seems to agree more with me. I'm sure I will give it another try someday though, it can't hurt

Comments given to everyone's sketchbook.

As for my art, I have done quite a bit, at least it has felt like it. I have set up a little studio type thing in my loft today. It is cold up there, but at least there is room to breathe. Lighting is a bit annoying, but again, it is better than my bedroom.
    I went out to the art gallery yesterday with my friend, and we both did some sketching. Was awesome fun. My friend got 4 guys chatting her up, so I am glad I am a guy, so I got peace and quiet! haha
    Heres two pics of my set up, only thing is that I am too far away, easy to fix haha:
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  171.6 KB
    Name:  setup.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  97.1 KB

Anyhoo, heres some stuff:
    First is a pen drawing of the same ref as above
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  80.5 KB
    More pen fun:

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  82.0 KB
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  102.7 KB

Pencil fun (I prefer using pen now, haha):
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  71.8 KB
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  51.4 KB

Pencil from life and a mirror:
    Name:  11.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  96.1 KB

And pen from life at the art gallery (painting, then two sculptures) I should have spent more time drawing, instead of wandering about looking at paintings:
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  97.0 KB
    Name:  8.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  106.9 KB
    Name:  9.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  107.1 KB

I hate charcoal, but I am liking it more now. Both copies from a book:
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  238.5 KB

Finally, that felt like the upload took days haha

Last edited by FraserMcT; January 22nd, 2010 at 11:49 AM.
    My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FraserMcT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    No need to comment back, I just wanted to say that I like YOUR line quality. I'll keep looking here to make sure I catch up!

Thanks
    Hey man, I was just checking on who dropped me a "thanks" and happened upon your sketchbook.

I have to say you've made some progress in the past year, and progress always deserves applause. My personal motto is, "so long as I'm improving, the work is worth doing". And you've done well in that respect.

However for the present, I was looking at one of your more recent referenced drawings (second down in post #97, the FemJoy sample) and noted that you could do with some better observation. As far as I can see it would seem as though you had placed the lines of your drawing as quickly as possible and did not care to re-check them, this is a fatal mistake.

Comparing your drawing to your reference, I can readily state the following:

- The space between her thighs far exceeds that of the reference, by at least double.
    - Her left breast (the one that can be seen) is not nearly as pointed as you had represented, it is more round from the viewed angle than anything else.
    - You drew her face more flat than is represented in the photo, although that may not have been a primary concern considering the lack of detail.
    - The lady's left arm (the straight one on the right) was drawn somewhat longer than what was depicted in the reference picture.

And that's just what I could notice off the cuff. Not that you did poorly, per se, but rather that I think you could do with a lil' more time studying the reference.

Go ahead and tackle the reference as you do now, but once you do so take a 5 to 10 minute break. Once you do so, compare your drawing to your reference and make adjustments as necessary. This will help you see as an artist does, as opposed to merely seeing as a layman does.

A very important aspect to art, be it drawing or painting or whatever, is to be able to see as an artist. Seeing as an artist entails not just looking at a subject as an ordinary person might, but removing oneself from the subject in order to view it in the abstract. That means measuring the space between a woman's thighs in centimeters as opposed to what you think the distance might be, or curving a woman's breast as what is actual as opposed to the impression you received, or drawing a woman's arm as long as what it is as opposed to swore was true.

So take the time, after you have drawn your subject, to double-check whether or not the proportions and dimensions are correct. If need be, use any tricks you can think of to help you view your drawing truthfully (e.g. digitally you can flip the canvas horizontally, if you're drawing in pencil then turn the page around and view it before a light), but just make sure to re-check your drawing for accuracy.

As I said, I think you've made great progress and you have done well so far. However I believe your next step is more accurate observation.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    GoGoJojo - Thanks, and I am not far ahead at all, if I'm even ahead at all!

Anid Maro - Thanks again, seem to be thanking you a bit haha. Just want to say thanks for putting out a lot of helpful posts recently. I does go noticed.
    And much appreciated for your post. Very helpful. I need to be much more aware of observing. In this post for example, I thought my second guy was great, until I flipped it in photoshop, and I facepalmed! Had the features positioned way too far to the right. Mouth is too far up, chin too low. Right side of chin is wrong shape. Left eye is a bit wrong shape. His forehead isn't dark enough, and I didn't manage to get the form to read like the photo. Depressing really.
    I took a break in that too, hmph. I guess it just needs more practice and thinking.
    I tried the light trick, but it doesn't really work on the thick paper that is moleskine. Oh well. Serves me right for loving it silky smooth texture.
    Thank you very much for taking the time!

I started a new moleskine the other day. I am trying to change one thing every two pages, for example:
    Female portrait in graphite:
    Name:  b.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  193.1 KB
    Male portraits in graphite:
    Name:  a.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  221.1 KB
    Could be figures next, or a medium switchup. I think this will be quite beneficial to get me to try new things!

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FraserMcT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice improvement since i last visited i really like the charcoal portraits just tried charcoal myself for the first time and that stuff is hard to use! Keep on trucking!

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
    (Albert Einstein)

Thanks
    this is not true…THIS CANT bE HAPPENING…I just wrote a fucking long comment and then my browser rapes my brain by crashing and deleting all the wisdom haha, so here we go again:

Nice portraits bud! I digg that one making stuff work with simple, big strokes is really cool.

a point of critique about the last post would be: the left one appears flat. I know its hard when you draw a face that is shows the front view. but try to get the planes and that stuff going. model it as if is was made of sculpey (or however that stuff is called)

also, the landscape a few posts back: you kinda tried to pump in a ton of detail. but your values a pretty much the same all over the piece, thus leading to a flat appearance. for a start, try to keep a landscape as simple as possible. its not worth painting 100 stones or so. I hope you get what I mean.

g, not so long after all. I forgot what I was going to say before I lost the post. now Im really tired. haha, I think this post reads as if an eight year old wrote it. Ill edit it if I remember more……these fucking browsers! Im telling you!

••• Φ •••

Nettle_Mountain - walnut - SamC - Walid D - Nrx - Dilated - FraserMcT

Thanks
    Nice updates Fraser!! I think the sketch of the girl with long hair (post#113) needs tweaking. The bottom part of her nose looks ok, but as it rises to the bridge it looks off-set. Love pic on the easel btw. Keep pushing yourself my friend.

Thanks
    latigid - Thanks! Charcoal is hard, I have to use it more often now, it is growing on me. I need to be much lighter handed though haha.
    Φ phil - Got to hate it when that happens. yeah, landscapes are savage, I dunno why I don't draw more of them. It would make sense considering that I love looking at them. Thanks mucho for the crit though!
    Turbosnail - Thanks mate. I find hair quite difficult. I need to simplify forms on the hair, that is my major problem. The easel pic didn't turn out as good as I wanted, I noticed quite late on how mad some of my shapes were. Oh well! I will do better next time.

Comments returned to all.

Here is some updates. I reworked a few of the sb portraits and did a few figures.
    I also started lifedrawing today. So every wednesday we will be doing that for a few months. Very fun to be drawing on A2.
    Nice to have a person there saying things and critiquing. Although I would much prefer if he was harsher, as he seemed to only concentrate on the good things, and never on the bad :/
    Anyhoo, heres some stuff.
    2 minute poses. There are 3 here, but I drew over the faint lines with the other 2. lol
    I found the short poses the hardest. I need to prioritise.
    Name:  2min.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  97.7 KB
    Next, a 30 min pose where we could do what we wanted. I went fast, and got quite a bit of tone in. However I should have focused more on form, and been more careful proportionally.
    Name:  30mins.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  160.3 KB
    And a 20 min pose, where the model seemed to be very uncomfortable
    I like the arms.
    Name:  20mins.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  106.6 KB

Drawings from life of paintings at the local art gallery Bout 45mins on each. I'm gonna go back and finish these off sometime. Maybe.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  228.4 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  167.9 KB

Sketchbook pages.
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  251.9 KB

The two sb portraits modified a bit.
    Name:  comp1.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  190.7 KB
    Name:  comp2.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  201.4 KB

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FraserMcT For This Useful Post:

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Love the improvement visible on just this page alone. Hard work pays off. The last few SB pages are great, the two girls (black/white stripes and rope) are a massive level up on your last ones from reference. I'm impressed.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    keep it up man really like the painting of the apple really good colors there
    if you dont already you should get your hands on some Bridgemen books think theres some free ones on the net
    looking forward to seeing more of your progession
    have a good one
    -Jamie

Thanks
    donalfall - I know right! I haven't worked nearly as hard as what I could have, and I see a large improvement too. If I work harder, I reckon it could be even better! Thanks for the comment.
    OmertA - I got some, but haven't had the time to properly go through it. Thanks!

Here is some sb pages. These are pretty quick, apart from my moleskine. 2 Male figures. I like them!

Attached Images Attached Images            
    My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

19. The Following User Says Thank You to FraserMcT For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.