Sketchbook: FraserMcT - 12th December - Follow me through this crazy journey - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: FraserMcT - 12th December - Follow me through this crazy journey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man. Yeah, I think I will do some longer stuff soon, although I seem to enjoy sketching more...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool man, i think you placed the facial features quite well. though, the mouth seems to be too much on the right. if you flip your img horizontally, you can tackle such issues without much pain
    now, bout painting, heres a little trick. I guess its just taste and personal way of working, but I found that working from a non-white background was extremely helpful. I usually start with somewhat between 40% 60% black. then I add the darks first before I work into so lighter tones. to finish it up, I add highlights. I guess this way you have your value range under control. also, you dont risk ending up with annoying white spots. just a hint, try it if you want

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Φ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips. I completely forgot about the flipping, I need to do that more, as it really does help!
    I just did a little colour piece. Cropped, as the eyes are positioned wrongly on the face (I HATE EYES), however it looks not too bad when cropped like so:

Oh yeah, I got a tattoo today aswell, check it out!:

I also went to the art gallery in my town today. I was surprised to see some Sargent pieces, and a lot of Raeburn paintings. I will take my sketchbook in some time and throw down some lines.

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stop being so lazy god damn it.

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    look at that, your growing with every piece, very nice. I find th last one def. very interesting. I took me a while to figure out if the rather dark values bothered me but no, it actually works. though, I recommend to bring it a little more up by adding more light tones? you choose, keep rockin (EDIT: sexy tat, sexy mofo!" lol!)

Last edited by Φ; October 28th, 2009 at 04:08 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Φ For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looking at page 2, I think you need to learn how the body works together so it doesn't turn into a lump. I'm not one for insisting on intimate knowledge of anatomy, but just some thought going into a sketch. We all learn in different ways, but relying on photo reference to get it right can lead to a dead end. Now work what you've learnt about form into your imaginative bits.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been enjoying having fun recently, but I cant slack on art, or else my work will get from bad, to worse. So here is a little sketch to keep up my digi skills. I sketch with a pen during lectures, mostly faces(unreffed) I'll try to scan them some time.
    Blackspot: Thanks for the tips. I need to do a lot more figure work before I even feel relatively comfortable doing it.
    Phil - Cheers!

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to take it further.

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anddddd my attempt at colour. A few colour layers, and a few overlayers, then a few straight painting in colour layers. I prefer the b&w personally....
    I obviously needed to spend a lot more time on the hair, jacket and hand.

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You told me to work in grey scale and I'm telling you start with colour to get more familiar with it. Colour values can look very different to grey ones. Maybe we'll meet in the middle.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment blackspot, I will keep that in mind.
    Done a few things, but didn't save them because they sucked / and I was just testing stuff out.
    Here is a quick selfportrait.

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a firm believer that SP's should look you in the eye. You need to address what you see in the mirror not a photo where half the work is already done. It's tough being honest with yourself about yourself, but when you can reach there and touch it, that's when the magic starts. I'm still lying - are you?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not gonna lie, you just confused the shit out of me. But, ok. I will try with a mirror next time. haha
    I have also started drawing on the bus in the morning. Good fun, and good practice. Although it can be quite shaky. Not gonna upload them, as I still see improvement with every one I do, when I slow down with the quick sketches, then I will ask for help.

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did a painting for the secret santa thing, but A. Forgot to take a photo B. Can't show you it anyway
    I just did some thumbnails, I dunno if they will make sense to anyone else, but I thought I might aswell show you. Everything from mind obviously.
    Top left is a miners cave environment. The second is a plane fight. Third is a monster in a city. 4th is a face. 5th is a face. 6th is a face off in a forest. But looks shit, just like the other 5. haha

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Colour study. I am not used to using the colour window instead of the foreground colour picker. If that made sense. Using HSB, I think it makes it easier to control saturation.
    There is something about her eyes I just cant get right...

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely seeing a lot of improvement in here! I subscribed, so keep it coming!

Greets, Cran

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Cranberry For This Useful Post:

merrycarousel is offline doughnuts!!! omnomnomnom.... Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ditto with cranberry!

nice colouring on your latest update.. the proportion looks pretty good, although the lips are a little 'tilted' as if the girl slightly facing to the right instead. easy way to spot it is that the centre of the nose does not line up with the dip in the upper lip. as for the eyes, hmm, the only thing i can spot is the eye on the left should match the right side one more.... i'm also learning, so i can't comment much on that. hopefully someone with better knowledge could help you out.

for your thumbnail, be careful with the distance in their features. like, the top right guy's mouth is too low/far away from his nose. i used to make that mistake a lot, so though i'd mention.

keep on posting!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to merrycarousel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for visiting my SB. This is my favorite of your work. Very nice.

Dwarven Hunter cancels trapping; Interrupted by Undead Elephant!

Sketchbook

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin_McDowell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your sketchbook is looking good, keep it up!

though to practice color more, i would give yourself a couple of colors and dont go into the color picker unless you have to, until your well into the painting.

im just starting to learn about color so im not sure if thats even sound advice or if you are already doing that... but regardless. keep up the good practice!

Art and kindness are my weapons of choice.

My Sketchbook

28. The Following User Says Thank You to badass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love your digital stuff! It's incredible how seemingly easy you can blend and draw people using your tablet. I like that you show the different stages, cause most people just put up the finished product...
    I'm getting one soon, and am a complete noob. Got any suggestions on how to learn to draw on it? And got any opinions of my figures in my sb...*hint hint*...?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to gabs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gabs - Thanks. I don't have any tips, as I don't believe I am anywhere near good yet. I would advise checking out the photoshop section though, as that helps tons.
    Comment returned.
    As I said, I had another go at that figure. I think it is 110 x better. Started completely from scratch again, instead of reusing the sketch.
    Just looking at the difference side by side is amazing imo. I have learnt a huge amount from these last two paintings.
    I need to remember to flip my images. Every time I do, I notice so much. And need to remember to zoom out.
    The neck is still shit agahgjks And the stomach is shit too aghksjkld
    But it is still way better, so I am quite pleased. Better, but still shit.. haha

I just noticed I screwed up the headsize, and arm length. In fact, I don't think I made my canvas tall enough. Oh well, Live and learn as they say.

Last edited by FraserMcT; December 20th, 2009 at 05:47 PM.
    My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fixed up most of the errors. Might do her face and hair tomorrow.
    And a quick sketch. She is sitting in some reddish rocks, hence her bright colour. Might fix up the errors and paint more another day.

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool work, you seem to be going in the right direction! I paint mostly from photographs too, but I think it's good to do some life sketching as well!

Also something i picked up from Jason Chan's downloads, he always makes sure his values are right in black and white before he goes in with colors on overlay layers. It really simplified it for me and I think it will help you transition to full color

keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FraserMcT View Post

I also went to the art gallery in my town today. I was surprised to see some Sargent pieces, and a lot of Raeburn paintings. I will take my sketchbook in some time and throw down some lines.
    mmm, I love Raeburn. Really great portrait painter. There were some Raeburns in in a museum down in Sarasota I saw not too long ago.

I really like this sketchbook. Some points on this last study; you need to just up and shift her entire head over quite a ways, its way to far to the left, and this is what's mainly making it look off. You can see that, if you draw a line straight up from the leftmost side of that shape of yellow light on her left breast (our right), it would line up with the side of her mouth and the depression in the middle of the bottom of the neck. Straight up shifting everything over some would fix a lot right there.

Good sketchbook dude, enjoyin it.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to drd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Frasier, Merry Christmas. Correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think I left a comment before.

Your seriously working hard! The digitals are improving quicky - keep at it.

The only thing I can really say is seeing some more traditional painting would be cool - the ones on the first page are looking great.

sketchbook http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162034

C&C are more than welcome

deviantart gallery http://midge7.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aguilas990 - Thanks for the tips. I have tried doing colour overlay layers, however I prefer to paint straight into colour when doing colour, as it not only helps digital, but also traditional painting alla prima. Cheers for dropping in.

drd - Wow, thanks mucho for the comment. I never noticed these things until you pointed them out. I definitely need to be more careful with things! And I agree, Raeburn has some kickass portraits. There is a whole room dedicated to his stuff in Aberdeen. Must be almost 40 paintings by him there.
    Thanks again!

scottishmidget - I can't remember seeing you before. Thanks for giving me a a comment. And yes, I should do more traditional painting. I guess I am just lazy in that sense. I hate tidying up.

Comments returned to all. Here are my latest sketchbook pages. Some sketches suck, and I don't get why some of them really don't work(note:pic3, the full page head). I am fairly pleased with a few of them. Need to sketch more! Some reffed, some head, some from people I look up to. I think using the side of the pencil definitely works for me also. I feel more confident using it.

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

38. The Following User Says Thank You to FraserMcT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice sketchbook you have here! Your rendering on your digital pieces is steadily improving! And your sketches is also looking good, don't be too hard on yourself
    Have you done any stuff from the Loomis books? On some of your pieces it seems you have some trouble with the construction of the head, Loomis book "drawing the head and hands" helped me a lot at least.
    Also, I don't know if this is a widely knowned theory but don't draw to many celebrities etc. you might get too hung up on nailing the likeness and that is hard, it may get you discouraged to finish them. PBase.com has alot of portrait gallerys if you look around some. That is what I use when I do my studies.
    Anyway looking great, keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man,happy new year to you as well! hows it going?

good sketching. and yeah, I need to sketch more too. I dont know what it is with me, everyday I go to myself: " -do you like to draw? -yes -so why dont you sketch for a minute or 2? -ah Im lazy"…… :/ anyhow, I guess it comes after sketching everyday over and over again. sometimes we need to force ourselves a little. but youre not alone

back to your drawings, I like a lot of them, specially the second last page. I dont get why that should be a "fail" as you type below it dont be that hard with yourself! I mean it would be a different story if you spent days and days on that
    about page 3, the face that "fails on so many levels" I get why you dont like it that much. I cant point out concrete mistakes (maybe the nose and the forehead appear really flat?) but hey, its a face: one of the more challenging things you can draw so all I can say is: cheer up and draw another face…and then another one and another one…i think you get the point! keep up the good work

(no idea why I ended up writing that much without giving you some serious help, but if it only helps a little, it was worth it cheers)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great SB you have!
    I think the face you said you failed with has some problems with the nose length and the eyes that are a bit crooked and small.
    Your digital paintings are very good, if you have problems with the colour you might find some tutorials, just keep in mind that skin has a lot of different colours in it, especially with different light sources, so try a bit of everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your stuff is very good! I especially like how you rendered in the shading!

Everything is better with dinosaurs.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1