Sketchbook: Gorgonzola's Noodlin's! - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Gorgonzola's Noodlin's!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr-Joe: I actually haven't used Painter in about a year, maybe a little less than a year. My inkwork now (like the stuff I posted over on the ink thread,) is done with a good old fashioned sable brush and india ink. Color work and digital pencil work is done in photoshop, and any sketchbook pages you see with pencils are either my mechanical pencil .09mm or prismacolor col-erase, white, red, and dark brown.

Planning to post some more images in a few days, just been busy with the holidays around the corner.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some rough pose ideas for an upcoming dinosaur sculpt I'm planning to sell.

Name:  carno1.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  118.3 KB
    Name:  carno2.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  117.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoo, been a looooooong time. I need to scan some sketchbook pages to catch up on posting, but in the meantime here's some stuff here and there that I've been doing.

Name:  farbebuch200Res.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  168.6 KB
    Name:  farbebuch200Res2.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  256.6 KB
    Name:  limniad4.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  436.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aweasome scketchbook mate nothing to say just thx to share your art :>
    cheers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to David79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks David79! I'm a big fan of the work you have going on over on your sketchbook.

Some more shit I quickly scanned in, mostly women.

Name:  sketch019.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  332.4 KB
    Name:  sketch020.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  254.4 KB
    Name:  sketch021.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  247.2 KB
    Name:  sketch022.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  234.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...WTF? Why is this thread rated only four stars? Everything's so beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous heft/form, great lines, great ink, great cartoony distortion, great colors, great style, great ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work in here. Love these long running sketchbooks. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Diamandis: Hahaha, I have no idea, but I'm not bothered. If the work gets better, then the rating goes up. Thanks though for the praise!

cfhd: Thanks!

So I finally had a chance to try out something I've been meaning to do for awhile - record myself drawing. This is a series of photographs collated and combined into a timelapse video of me doing an imaginative charcoal drawing. It falls back on some "safe" shortcuts and structures for myself, but this was more a test to see how well I can pull off such a thing. Right off the bat I noticed a few things:

- I need to turn off autofocus. Did not even think about the fact that the camera would occasionally refocus on my shoulder.

- I'll need to devise better framing to avoid those vertical black bars on either side, since I usually hate when people submit videos with vertical aspect ratios.

- The photography timelapse is really only good for timelapse. If I want to ever do a video explaining a process or something, I'll most likely do normal video and put voice audio over it.

I was thinking of starting to do a few of these every once in awhile, just to make myself more accountable for drawing and also to review my own techniques and see where I can improve. Does anybody have any thoughts for things they'd like to see? I'm pretty much winging this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unused Dryad Concept for the Artorder Nymph Challenge. Still going to finish it up.

Name:  dryad.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  157.4 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gorgonzola For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on the Dryad - final colors, just need to add text. I also have to get around to scanning in some sketchbook pages so I can post them up!

Name:  dryad2low.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  221.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished the Dryad concept.

Name:  dryad3low.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  279.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So..much inspiration I looked through this entire thread. I'm preparing to head to SCAD this fall and building up my portfolio and seeing some of this just gave me just a bit of an idea of what to put in there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JStorm View Post
    So..much inspiration I looked through this entire thread. I'm preparing to head to SCAD this fall and building up my portfolio and seeing some of this just gave me just a bit of an idea of what to put in there.
    Hey great! JStorm, what are you planning to pursue over at SCAD? I can maybe answer any questions you have if you're planning to head through the Sequential Art major.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgonzola View Post
    Hey great! JStorm, what are you planning to pursue over at SCAD? I can maybe answer any questions you have if you're planning to head through the Sequential Art major.
    I want to do Sequential Art/Animation but I kinda need to know what to include in my portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JStorm View Post
    I want to do Sequential Art/Animation but I kinda need to know what to include in my portfolio.
    Honestly, when it comes to applying to SCAD, they do not require a portfolio. Now, if you're planning on shooting for some scholarships, then yeah, you DO need a portfolio, or exceptional grades, or a mix of both. Make sure this is still valid though, since it has been...8 years since I had applied.

I was able to get a scholarship that was a mix based off of my grades and portfolio. My portfolio at the time was a mix of still life studies, figure studies, some half-handed mock concept art/fantasy art, and some finished pieces that were illustration pieces I had completed in my AP art class my senior year. Sooo...yeah, it was a bit all over the place.

Were I to do it again, I probably would have cut out about half of my pieces, but I was naive and not too aware of what to do/what not to do. There are a few threads around here on CA that talk about high school/entry college portfolios, which should give you a good idea what's generally accepted. Do a search for "high school portfolio site:conceptart.org" on google, that should turn up some results.

I'm inclined to say that you should demonstrate a knowledge of observed drawing - figure drawing, still life, that sort of thing. If you have some finished pieces, you can consider putting them, but really think hard about if they're up to snuff with the foundation stuff.

I do remember someone's portfolio was comic work she had done personally as well as a webcomic she was working on, but she was incredibly exceptional in skill compared to the rest of us. Assuming you have about the same amount of skill as most high school level people, foundation drawings and studies are probably you're best bet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgonzola View Post
    Honestly, when it comes to applying to SCAD, they do not require a portfolio. Now, if you're planning on shooting for some scholarships, then yeah, you DO need a portfolio, or exceptional grades, or a mix of both. Make sure this is still valid though, since it has been...8 years since I had applied.

I was able to get a scholarship that was a mix based off of my grades and portfolio. My portfolio at the time was a mix of still life studies, figure studies, some half-handed mock concept art/fantasy art, and some finished pieces that were illustration pieces I had completed in my AP art class my senior year. Sooo...yeah, it was a bit all over the place.

Were I to do it again, I probably would have cut out about half of my pieces, but I was naive and not too aware of what to do/what not to do. There are a few threads around here on CA that talk about high school/entry college portfolios, which should give you a good idea what's generally accepted. Do a search for "high school portfolio site:conceptart.org" on google, that should turn up some results.

I'm inclined to say that you should demonstrate a knowledge of observed drawing - figure drawing, still life, that sort of thing. If you have some finished pieces, you can consider putting them, but really think hard about if they're up to snuff with the foundation stuff.

I do remember someone's portfolio was comic work she had done personally as well as a webcomic she was working on, but she was incredibly exceptional in skill compared to the rest of us. Assuming you have about the same amount of skill as most high school level people, foundation drawings and studies are probably you're best bet.

I'm definitely shooting for a scholarship and I'm transferring there from another college, but I did take up some other art classes from the school I graduated from which I'm really hoping the credits would transfer. It was a mixed bag of things[looked at my older artwork today it was mainly observational and still life] itself but I'm thinking I should add in some of my newer drawings and newer concepts to the portfolio I present to them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketchbook man! Really dig your style and line-work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Setheriel, Karl Schulschenk, dessinateurimpulsif: Thank you all!

JStorm: Definitely make sure you're showing the latest and greatest, but that applies for anytime you're showing a portfolio. You seem to have a pretty good mental grasp of what you'd like in it, so I'm sure you'll be fine. I'd still say for an academic portfolio you should have some observational drawing/painting in it if you're able, because that always seems to win some bucks here and there, but if you've got some more stuff that shows the sort of thing you're interested in, I'd definitely say go for it.

As for credits transferring, good luck with that. I remember them being incredibly stingy about it, partly because the credit set up is different from most other schools (If I remember right, all classes are...5 credits each, I think?). My roommate throughout school transferred in with an Associate's degree, and ended up only being a semester ahead of me because they tossed out a lot of his credits.

One other thing I'd suggest - You expressed interest in Sequential Art and Animation, which cool, great, I can't recommend the SEQA department enough. I'd also suggest maybe filling out some of your extra classes with some from the painting department. I honestly didn't realize how much I'd need painting as a skillset when I was younger (out of ignorance and stupidity, mostly), and I wouldn't feel as if I had to play as much catch up if I jumped on that when I had the chance. The SEQA department is great because you'll come out of it a great draftsman if you put your dues in, but you should really round out some of those draftsman skills with some painting experience. Just my two cents, so you can take it or leave it. Which campus are you going to?

And since I didn't want this to be the third post in a row without art, here's some rough studies I did in photoshop. Adobe reworked their color dynamics tab in CS6, and holy hell does it make a difference. It's what got me to stop using Painter permanently.

Name:  farbebuch200Res0.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  96.4 KB
    Name:  farbebuch200Res1.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  86.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some good info on here man and I really appreciate it, I'm heading to the Savannah campus.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JStorm: Savannah is nice, though the fall semester can be a bit miserable early on because Savannah is stuck in summer until late November, and their summer is blazingly hot and humid. Combined with some occasional thick smells from the paper mill and it can be awful, and biking becomes a humid nightmare. All the professors though in the SEQA department over there are great and will make you work if you show the initiative.

Here's something I was working on recently: A zbrush model of a Carnotaurus that I'm planning to sell over at Shapeways as a model. I wanted to do two poses, one that was your standard running sort of pose, and another that was more relaxed, like it was just looking around or sniffing the air. I had a lot of issues with the topology in this one, so in the future I think I'm going to start my models off in Blender and box model them to get a rough approximation, then finish it out in Zbrush.

Name:  Carnotaurus Relaxedlow.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  102.7 KB
    Name:  CarnotaurusRunlow.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  86.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I'll definitely work hard, but I'm from the SC I can handle the humidity lol......I think. =/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally scanned some stuff in from the old sketchbook!

Name:  sketch025.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  225.2 KB
    Name:  sketch026.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  356.5 KB
    Name:  sketch027.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  348.7 KB
    Name:  sketch028.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  357.4 KB