Green World
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Green World

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Green World

Hey all,

This is my first post on ConceptArt and thought I would share two environments I've worked on this semester in school for an energy efficient eco friendly sci fi world.

I feel sort of empty handed as there are so many good artists posting here, but alas, such is the path to improvement.

Anyway I look forward to meeting and learning from all of you.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The second one is the best. The first one needs more variation in light and color. Neither of them really look finished, however.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your input

What might you suggest could be the finishing touches for these as I'm sort of at a brain freeze at this point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello again
    I don't see a lack of finish personally - I think it is more the lack of focus that is missing. Especially in concept pieces like this you should think about what your main point is and lead the eye towards it.
    Amount of detail is one way to attract the eye. So right now you have detail evenly distributed - sometimes you have even more detail in unimportant places (city in the background in the first piece, and the plants in the foreground there) and less in the part that should be of importance (naturally the characters in both images).
    It feels like you're a bit scared of the characters - reference will help you there.

Overall I like the images - they have good compositions and nice ideas in them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Thomas

Ya I've sort of gone into these pieces with the environment more in mind and the characters used more for a sense of scale, but I can see what you mean that their lack of detail is hurting both pieces. I'm going to go ahead and design them more. Do you think more of a strong focal point will turn the attention away from them in future pieces?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Image 1.
    - Very nice use of atmospheric perspective in terms of value.
    - I actually like the color palette you used, as it's very soft, warm, and inviting instead of the typical "cold" used in futuristic design.
    - The effect of the glass rooftop in the foreground was nicely done.
    - Compositionally however, my eye is drawn towards the top left corner, and out of the picture frame. It's the combination of everything pointing towards that corner, the light source being located there as well, and that there isn't much of visual interest outside of that area. I don't think the grassy hill is currently doing much for the image.

2nd image
    I actually feel this piece might be the weaker of the two.
    - The sky is very lovely and visually stimulating, but the ground, water, and buildings just don't reflect the color shift as much as they could.
    - The transport tube is really lovely, and also very interesting to look at, but looks strange in terms of perspective.
    - There are a lot of soft edges on the structures, which makes some of the shapes blend together.
    - Once again, it's compositionally weighted towards one side, with a lot of elements pointing directly toward the light source. In this case however, the red in the sky does have enough visual weight to pull the eye towards the other side again, but there isn't as much to see.

These both are quite nice though, and am looking forward to seeing more of your projects here in the future!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Spivak000 View Post
    Do you think more of a strong focal point will turn the attention away from them in future pieces?
    Hm, maybe. It just feels like a natural thing to put the characters in focus - but might not be the way you want to go of course. Then again some of your choices seemed to show me that they are the focus: They are in the centre of the first image - in the second one they have strong highlights on them.
    In both images their silhouettes are very strong contrasted to the background. And they are very crisp.
    If you want to highlight the architecture, then you can use all those tricks on the buildings.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.