The Artist's Reading List - Page 4

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    I had to get this one for class. It's a good one. Oil Painting Secrets From A Master by Linda Cateura and David Leffel

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    More good education.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Learning to see

"...the ideas are what matter most" Doug Chiang

Thanks
    I was wondering if anybody here knew a good reference book about insects, I'm not aware of any myself even though I would love to study drawing them.

Thanks
    I would like to mention Jack Hamm's "Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes".
    I didn't find the title grabbing at all but after JeffX repeated mentions of it, I bought it and am currently working my way through it.
    For a beginner I think this is awesome indeed.

The entire book is based on pencil as a medium and only few pages deal with types of paper- no fancy schmancy about tools, you can just start working with sheet and paper.
    I especially recommend visiting http://www.wikipaintings.org/ while reading the book, because certain tasks in the book are to look at master paintings and try to find the point of entry and follow-through in the composition.

In comparison to various books on landscapes and composition, I found this the most straight-forward and best suited for a beginner.

(thanks JeffX)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    obrigado for the links.

Thanks
    I have a lot of books about film-making, this is also kind of art. I plan to buying some good drawing book.

Thanks
    What about ''Discovering Oil Painting'' by George Cherepov? http://www.google.gr/imgres?q=cherep...,r:13,s:0,i:90

Has anyone ever seen what's inside?

Thanks
    Wich of these ones is the best for a starter? I want to learn figure drawing, but i don't understand how bridgman works..

Thanks
    For information on traditional painting and working the materials used, I'm using The Artist's Handbook by Ray Smith and I'm blown away by how much information there is on mediums like Gouache, watercolour, oils, acrylics, pastels, etc. I'm looking at the first edition and I know that older books generally tend to be written more thoroughly so I don't know how much they've changed in the third edition, but definitely worth a look if you're looking at molecular mediums.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Just picked up Ken Hultgren's book online. For under $5, it was a no brainier. Covers: Horses, Deer, Cats, Cows, Bulls, Giraffes, Camels, Gorillas, Pigs, Dogs, Foxes, Kangaroos, Rabbits, Squirrels, Elephants, and Bears. Ken breaks the animals down to simple forms and builds them up.
    Name:  KenHultgrenHowtoDrawAnimalsbook.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  84.7 KB

Thanks
    Godly thread. Tracking this.

Thanks
    I desperately want to become a concept artist, despite only having started taking wanting to learn art seriously at 18 and now 20 still grappling around with the basics of drawing and currently only traditional media before i get more towards the later fundamentals/how to do full characters/environments/etc.

(now despite my rather unorganized an frivolous attempts to study all this time, lets just pretend i'm going from scratch)
    Many people have stated the very first thing to be focused on is drawing from life (which apparently even applies to people who wish to become solely focused on a certain style and not photorealism humans/style, me personally wanting to learn fictional concept art), but i will have basically no opportunity to draw people from life, plenty of objects/places/things/etc but no opportunity for people.

Despite this, once i've done quite an amount of drawing from life/observation of objects/places/things/etc i will eventually reach the stage of needing to learn figure/anatomy.
    I have been studying "Figure drawing, design and invention" by michael hampton but apparently it turns out that it's geared more for experienced artists,
    So i have recieved suggestions for two different things in terms of figure/anatomy books as a beginner before i move on in my learning process towards learning concept art.

1) Andrew Loomis's "Figure drawing for all it's worth" + and it was suggested i buy "the Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist" as technical book, whatever that means, to go with the andrew loomis book.
    2) Drawing on the right side of the brain.

Which one would be best for me?

"I have offended God and mankind because my work didn't reach the quality it should have." - Leonardo da Vinci
    "A subhuman pathetic coward tolerates or accepts a life of mediocrity/failure in suffering or stagnancy, A decent person chooses death" - P.S.C

Thanks
    Maybe you need to show some of your drawing instead of this. I started at the same age as you and had some of same time management skill issues as you, but its shouldn't matter anymore, because its in the past. And a lot of famous artists that you know of started late. There is a comic artist named Rivkah who started drawing in her mid 20's. Google her and look at her stuff.

Last edited by karta tajba; February 12th, 2014 at 01:31 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to karta tajba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subhumanfailure View Post
    I desperately want to become a concept artist, despite only having started taking wanting to learn art seriously at 18 and now 20 still grappling around with the basics of drawing and currently only traditional media before i get more towards the later fundamentals/how to do full characters/environments/etc.

(now despite my rather unorganized an frivolous attempts to study all this time, lets just pretend i'm going from scratch)
    Many people have stated the very first thing to be focused on is drawing from life (which apparently even applies to people who wish to become solely focused on a certain style and not photorealism humans/style, me personally wanting to learn fictional concept art), but i will have basically no opportunity to draw people from life, plenty of objects/places/things/etc but no opportunity for people.

Despite this, once i've done quite an amount of drawing from life/observation of objects/places/things/etc i will eventually reach the stage of needing to learn figure/anatomy.
    I have been studying "Figure drawing, design and invention" by michael hampton but apparently it turns out that it's geared more for experienced artists,
    So i have recieved suggestions for two different things in terms of figure/anatomy books as a beginner before i move on in my learning process towards learning concept art.

1) Andrew Loomis's "Figure drawing for all it's worth" + and it was suggested i buy "the Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist" as technical book, whatever that means, to go with the andrew loomis book.
    2) Drawing on the right side of the brain.

Which one would be best for me?
    Buy the Loomis books. Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is only useful for the complete and utter beginner, and half the text is questionable (although the exercises can be useful). If you are really curious about it, it can be found in nearly any library where you do not have to spend money on it.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,988 Times in 2,554 Posts
    Strategic Intuition by Bill Duggan. It is a beauty...about learning to create more aha moments that change your life and career and work for the better. One of the best I have ever read...

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    reading a cool book my teacher told me about 'elements of drawing' by john ruskin :-)

Thanks
    http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Ideas-.../dp/0385344627

This seem to be more for people who are studying Product Design or graphic design. But its good because they show you examples of what a render drawing looks like and etc.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Draw-sketc...715074-4898802

Good for people who need to work on structure and form, and line quality and perspective. Its very technical though.

Thanks
    good thread, thanks for sharing everybody. I know a number of these from the list I got from my teachers. Some on here I have to check out for sure :-)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 223