Need help choosing.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need help choosing.

well I have four colleges for art that I want to go to, although Im not sure if they are actually any good. So I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience at these schools and the programs? Or maybe just the schools themselves.

First program:
    http://postsecondary.humber.ca/10581.htm

Second One:
    http://www1.sheridaninstitute.ca/programs/0910/partf/

Third One:
    http://www.iadt.ca/traditional_arts.asp
    (iadt didn't seem to give any kind of clue at how much it is, but i presume expensive...)

Forth One:
    http://www.maxthemutt.com/isa_curriculum.asp
    (max the mutt doesn't seem to list the prices, but I asked here and its expensive compared to the other ones. Not sure if its more expensive then iadt though)

Thats all about it. If those dont work out I'm just going to go to architecture in Mohawk. I have a feeling though that I would rather go to Humber then the others.

Last edited by My57; March 11th, 2009 at 04:01 PM.
    My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out Laguna College of Art & Design. They have an animation program with faculty from places like Disney and Warner. Grads end up at Pixar and other studios in California. LCAD added a Game Art major two years ago (Blizzard is a big supporter, just up the road from the college). www.lagunacollege.edu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Max the Mutt's tuition is on line! Check out the website. For Canadians, year one is around $8000, which is actually very low for a private school that receives no funding from the government. We also have small classes, and, in my opinion the best conceived fundamentals year I've seen. You can judge for yourself by attending the year one show which will be on view towards the end of April.

By the way, I would suggest that you visit ALL the schools and be sure you see their year end show(s). Also ask if you can speak with recent graduates and current students.

If you check out the Max the Mutt thread you will find (towards the end) that one of our students offered to contact applicants wanting info. You could also post on the thread and ask students to either get in touch with you or answer your post.

If you haven't already had a tour, call Lisa Mamers and arrange a visit!
    Last: many of our illustration students have their portfolios up on " Zeros to Heroes" website. Search for "Max the Mutt," and all the portfolios should come up.

I hope you find the school that is the right fit for you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi My57,

I've met a number of former IADT students, a number of current and recent Sheridan and MtM students (as well as faculty), but I really haven't heard anything about Humber. I also know that none of these schools are in California!

I've yet to meet anyone who learned what they needed to learn to get a job through Toronto's IADT. I have met a number of people who incurred a great deal of debt and frustration attending. In my opinion it would be a waste of your time and money.

Humber looks like an okay introductory program, but I don't see a gallery of student work and there's too much emphasis on non-art courses over it's two years (two semesters of art history, college writing, business writing, humanities, career management could be useful in the second year, but the two general education courses could be a real waste of time depending on what you were allowed to choose from). That being said, it could be a low-commitment step toward a more advanced arts education somewhere else.

Sheridan is probably the strongest of the four you are interested in right now. The student work is strong, which is a good sign.

Meeting with fomer and current students is the best way to get a understanding of the environment you looking to become a part of, however, try to talk to students other than those publically volunteering, provided by the recruiter or in their first year of the program.

Hope this helps,

~Richard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its tough for me to go and see all the schools since they're in Toronto and i live in Hamilton. Well it is if you don't have a car and such. But anyways, I don't wanna get out of Canada for schooling and would like to work in Canada. I'm mostly interested in illustration, comics, and the such.

Max the Mutt may be cheap for a private school but even then its to expensive and i did see some works of the students in Humber on the site:

http://programs.mediastudies.humber....ork/firstbatch

its hard to find so i had to google it...

I'm not to sure about Sheridan... For the 2d Drawing part do they allow digital?

Its much to hard to choose a college. I'm not even sure if my mom will even allow me to go to an art school, I'm pretty sure that she believes artists don't make enough money.

Oh and I think the Humber program are only two years because they have the classes 5 times a week. Although I could be mistaken. I just remember what one of the spokes people said to me when I went to one of those college conventions.

I've yet to meet anyone who learned what they needed to learn to get a job through Toronto's IADT. I have met a number of people who incurred a great deal of debt and frustration attending. In my opinion it would be a waste of your time and money.
    I had a strange feeling it was...

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the link. The gallery's a bit of a mixed bag -- looks like there's a few Bargue studies stuffed in with photo manips. The life drawing is particularly unimpressive -- pretty lifeless and dull.

I've seen some digital student work from Sheridan Illustration, but I don't know what the faculty approach to digital work is, if there is one. It is better to learn how to do things traditionally and adapt to using digital media rather than the reverse. Despite most of my work flow becoming increasingly digital, I'm still called to draw on the spot in meetings.

The classes line up at 3 hours each -- not five times a week, otherwise the 21 hour week calculation would be considerably off. The course really looks like a part-time program on paper so you could go out and get additional drawing and painting training elsewhere while still attending, which would be for the better. My recollection of the Sheridan program was 30 hours a week -- but that's nearly 20 years ago.

Artists don't make enough money, but who does?

The question you have to ask yourself is what you're passionate about and what your priorities are. Do you want to be doing something you enjoy for a living or something that "makes enough money". I know my mom would have been happier if I chose to be a lawyer, but I wouldn't have been.

~R

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rpace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sure she means i wouldn't be able to provide for a family or something -_-"

anyways thanks for the feedback, I may choose Sheridan now. And i was wondering if you know any other good colleges? As a back up to Sheridan, somewhere near Hamilton and Toronto? I think Niagara falls would be to far for me...

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's where a spouse with a regular job and health benefits comes in!

Well, there's OCAD, but I haven't been impressed by anything coming out of there for some time. They seem too interested in being urban and hip rather than skilled and timeless.

There's Mohawk -- they have a comics program! It looks like it's two seperate 1-year programs. Heh. No idea if it's any good. I dug around and couldn't find a gallery of work. It looks a little more practical that the Humber course, actually, but much of the quality would depend on the teachers.

Check 'em out!

~Richard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm i did look into the mohawk one before as well, but wasn't to sure as they dont really have gallery's to look at. As for OCAD i'll be sure to check it out. Maybe as a forth option or something.

Quote Originally Posted by rpace View Post
    That's where a spouse with a regular job and health benefits comes in!
    ~Richard
    lol yaaaaa xD

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cant use OCAD as i dont think its governement funded xD

its not on the site that i use to sign up to.

ontariocolleges.ca or something like that. They dont have OCAD listed... Any others out there? i would like to have one more college before sending my applications since its costs 95$

actually OCAD is a university. Weird.

Last edited by My57; May 3rd, 2009 at 03:24 PM.

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Members who have read this thread: 1