Sketchbook: The Sketching Scribble - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @B-man - Trying to get back into watercolours. It's been AGES since I've painted properly. I blame it on a decided limited attention span. Never thought I'd have better attention for digital stuff.

@Blackspot - Thanks for dropping by! ...I tend not to update because I work in sketchbooks, and I don't like scanning...

@Kiera - I've seen someone online using Moleskin for watercolor. I may have to take a closer look as they're a nice size to work in. It's just the paper's kind of tetchy.

@sir lean - I used to be a one trick pony - never worked in anything but graphite and nearly had a heart attack when I was forced to explore other mediums - which really didn't happen until University. Sad, right? Now I switch back and forth depending on what I want to accomplish. It's great!

@jatherip - Thanks!

Sigh. I really ought to be OUTSIDE painting. But I don't like painting outside. It's just not a habit I've really gotten in to yet. I think I will try to change that though - carry a small kit around always so I can pretty much just sit down and sketch. I've purchased Winsor and Newton's Bijou box which is brilliant. Not quite as brilliant as the Altoid-tin palette that Glenn carries around, but it's pretty damned close.

Finally got around to scanning some stuff in. Been sketching in watercolors in the evening from books. Also...finally set up now so that I can paint at home on a much larger scale. Time to start refining and getting some finished pieces done - thought out and executed. I'm a sketchbook doodler. I seem to have a lot of trouble executing finished ideas. It's a hit or miss with me. I mean, I finished a number of the Monsters pieces, and the dinosaur piece was planned...but notice it's not finished...

Also, had a good day in London at the Wellcome drawing session. It was a refresher course for me - did stuff I haven't in a long time - changed how I held a pencil, drew with two hands, blind contour. I should do more of that sort of practicing stuff. It's good for the brain.

Anyway...newish stuff.

I really can't stand this model. he has the most limited repertoire of poses I've ever dealt with, and I think he mostly uses the time to 'cat nap'...
    Name:  scan0005.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  85.9 KB

I was so annoyed that I buggered up the standing lady's hand. I had it a lot closer to right, tried to 'correct it' and messed it up big time. stupid.
    Name:  scan0008.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  156.4 KB

Attached Images Attached Images                
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of portraits and a load of shit.
    ...got tired of drawing the model and opted to doodle the other people drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies! They're all looking nice!

I esp like those watercolor portraits in the last post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Sublimus - Thanks man.

Just some sketches from Wild China, BBC book on Chinese natural history. It's a chance to practice watercolor and get back into the feel of it since it's been ages since I've worked with color. Some bits work. Some bits don't. But at least they're starting to improve to the point where I'm considering switching to proper paper instead of the crappy thin cartridge paper which isn't great for water stuff.

Name:  scan0020.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  511.7 KB

Name:  scan0021.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  302.6 KB

Name:  scan0022.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  356.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just need to get better at scanning. -_-
    Lots of other work done. Just not up and available.
    But...practicing with PS.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchiness

Sketches from life drawing. Somethings worked. Somethings didn't.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Notes from Sketchbook Clinic with George and Carl

Don't know if anyone ever stops by. Will post these with the lecture materials later. But they're here too. Either way...notes from the Sketchbook Clinic from November 28, 2009

ps...I have spelling issues. Just so you know.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Freddy Scribbles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure that I really like how this came out.
    The values got too dark too fast and then the paper didn't take glazes well because I kind of damaged it when i stretched it.
    Wish I had spent more time on some of the details etc etc.

Mostly must try to find a paper that doesn't go scratchy and takes washes well.
    Must also figure out why the glazes got so dark so quickly in the first place.
    Massive anatomy issues. Oh well. At least it's something finished. O.o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last night of life drawing for a month.
    Not bad. Not great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The kid standing on the dragons head. Hilarious
    I love those washy figure paint studies.

Post 51 - I likes, esp the multiple birds. Watercolours *drool* (I got to ask, What type of paper are you working on? )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dwardo - The paper used for the watercolor studies in #51 is just big cartridge paper that you can buy in big pads. I tore it down into smallish pieces for the studies. I'd give you exact measurements but I still don't really know the A# European system. Oops.

Ironically...I actually liked that paper for working on better than the fancy watercolor paper out of a mixed pack used on the CHOW 182 piece. But I think I damaged that paper when I stretched it so who knows. The washy stuff is just pen and ink worked with a water brush pen.

But hey, thanks for stopping by!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bloody HATE typography. I had one teacher once who came as close as anyone to getting me really excited about type and letter face as she specialized in typography and the movement of letters or something like that. I knew I hated typography and was subsequently thrilled to have someone teach me to love type. Unfortunately, most of the students decided they didn't like this teacher because there was an inordinate amount of 'unimportant work' and switched sections, and so the class was canceled due to attendance. University 1 plus oodles of dollars, Autumn Nil.

UGH. At any rate, I don't consider myself a designer but people keep pushing me to work in design as they see it as a more 'lucrative career' option. WTF. So, still hate type. Still fail to have any real interest in branding sort of design type thingies. BUT...this was thrown together very quickly for my little sister. To date her group hasn't 'clicked' with any of the designs. Mind you, I only got a functional, somewhat specific brief, after they realized what they didn't want. 'We want a wine bottle as the i!' But it's family, what can you do? And she's actually been really, really nice about it. And...going to stop whining. I did point out that Re-wined only made me think of video casettes - rewind. Guess they failed to make that connection when they created their company.

At LEAST I could make another graphic they were using a little nicer looking. It was a horrid CGI stock image with an equally horrid white cut out square for the label. Now it's a little less horrid.

Last edited by Freddy Scribbles; December 7th, 2009 at 07:57 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by the sketchbook.

I'm loving yours. You need to get better at scanning

I don't really feel typography either, especially when it comes to moving around blocks of the things, which is why I don't want to be a graphic designer as a career.
    However, I would be willing to do it before I break in as an illustrator, like so many before me.

Great studies. Stop being cheap and get good paper for your watercolors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Hamsta - I know ...i've sort of stopped using cheap paper, but it's still good, particularly slightly heavier grade, for sketching. Problem is, I like how the cheap shit takes water better than some of the high priced stuff I've been using. I've got a few different kinds of paper I'm working with now, and I seem to have a lot of trouble with it going fuzzy. Maybe just not stretching it right. May try what this artist Stephanie Puimun-Law does and try illustration board since it should be strong enough to withstand washes without doing the fuzzy thing like what I've been working with. who knows. Thanks for stopping by!

WIP for CHOW Dragons Egg. Will try to post another later. Got some of the initial washes down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My Chow entry.
    Still fighting with watercolors.
    UGH. Why did I ever stop painting?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you're *good* with watercolors. They're also my favourite medium so it's all the more pleasure to see you working so well with them.

The details in the tree and the egg are amazing, as are the background figures and the way you used color there, but it weakens the dirt/rock behind the girl. I think going a bit more detailed and dark there (with a purple-ish grey calling back to the tree coloring maybe), especially on the right corner, would lessen the effect and have the girl and the egg pop out more, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hoorah another watercolour fan! You have some really lovely studies. The last painting is looking much fresher than the Morrigan one, it isnt muddy and you can see all the different colour glazes. Definately fork out a bit more for your watercolour paper for final pieces, but for sketches I always found the cartridge paper I buy for sketching works quite well.
    I wanted to try illistration board but I cant seem to find out what its called over here, or if it even exists here.
    What do you mean by fuzzy? The paint bleeds out or something? You might be soaking the paper for too long, doing so removes all the coating and it becomes too absorbant = muddyness. Right now I use HP 200lb, and I generally soak it in lukewarm water for about 5 minutes and stick it onto my board with butterfly tape.

<_< >_> -----> Sketchbook

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RedSquirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches keep going.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the dynamic flow in the 'Star' sketch. Small crit : her feet look rather broad though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flashback - Thanks
    Wim - There are a lot of things wrong with that sketch. LOTS and lots and lots and lots. The big feet were the only mistake that was intentional Arms are way too long. Oh well. New pose is being used anyway.

___

The Empress

There are a few things off here. Originally there was going to be a little bird on her hand. Not sure. This may have to change. Wanted to go for Voodoo lady/Earth mother sort of thing.

Name:  Empress01B.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  40.2 KB

Updated version of the Star. Key words - trance, dance, hippie, youth, nature. Also, about halfway through had Sandman's Delirium in mind.

Name:  Star02.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  203.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really liking that chow!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Team Chow II Update.
    Sorry for odd posting technique - didn't want to double upload just now.
    Alternatively, click the link to go directly to the post: Chow Update
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy Scribbles View Post
    Sketchy mc-sketch-sketch

King of Swords reworked for Flash render
    Attachment 890502

Initial sketches for Empress drawing from African fertility masks and 'voodoo' Haven't actually decided what to put in her one hand.
    Attachment 890504

Attachment 890506

Gesture for Star rework
    Attachment 890507

Star lines sans flowy dress thing...her back appears to be broken. Oops. Might have to fix that...
    Attachment 890508

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vector work is slooooow
    and life is busy
    Oh Bother didn't finish. Not even close even tho I've still submitted because I've 'finished' one of the images. Empress

There are things wrong. There are things I don't like. May get rid of the lantern exterior glows because all it does is create a whole lot of lighting 'issues'

oh well. back to stuff

Also...it's really annoying that 'Flash' isn't an option under 'media' for all categories. I guess that omission would be fine too except there's no 'other' option either.

So...I've just been listing everything as photoshop.

Edit: There also seems to be color issues. Could someone let me know how the colors look on their comps? My non-digital work computer shows very low contrast and has greyed everything out. So the background/figure are almost equal in color and the green cushions are almost brown.

Last edited by Freddy Scribbles; February 2nd, 2010 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the Empress card except the chicken better watch out!

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The 'Other...' option is there for me, it's the very last one!

Anyways, I like your flash work, it has such a fun feel and your Empress has lots of character! She's adorable. I hope to see the Star complete, too, because it has gorgeous lines. I think you should try to reference her hand (the one pointed upwards) 'cause it looks a bit too short - or too wide? - compared to the other.
    Awesome work anyways, good luck with the competition!

Last edited by Ariel9; February 2nd, 2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: I always forget that '<3' becomes a loving face instead of staying a little heart.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Liking it very much so far, I feel it has a lot of potential. Hit us up soon with an update, no real useful crit to give from me at this early stage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy Scribbles View Post
    ...that being said...not happy with this. Happier than I've been with some older painting attempts. But painting's just not my thing. I think it goes hand in hand with my aversion to certain tactile mediums like oils and acrylics. I like my pigments WET and runny. Maybe learn to paint. Than learn to paint digitally? Or it's all the same lesson really.

May go in and recolor this in a more graphic style. We'll see.
    So when painting, you prefer watercolor over oils and acrylics ? Regardless of your medium of choice, you'll still need to know the basics of painting (value, saturation, color temperature, ...).

The following is a quote from Todd Lockwood, and can be found on the FAQ page on his website.

"To be honest, I donít think I would do well in Painter if I hadnít learned to paint traditionally first. Also, I believe there is a tendency for young artists to think that computer programs will solve their problems for them, but you still have to learn how to see, and you still have to know what makes a good painting. (...) "

Hope this helps,

Wim

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Freddy - love your watercolours (and your other stuff too, but i'm always dead impressed with watercolours as i don't do them!), i've added you to twitter - hope you don't mind.
    Whats the ethnique thing when its at home?

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do
    With your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

My Website

Sketchoholic - GET INTENSE!!!

Crimson Daggers - Meet to draw together

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty much inactive here. Just too many other places I have to update that somehow took priority. And I really hate the CA attachment manager. With a passion. But here are a few pieces I've been working on.

Submission for Ethnique 2010 - Women Legends
    Contest held by ArtTalk.ru and hosted in the US by CGHub.com
    Character - The Little Mermaid
    Title: Sea Foam
    Medium: Watercolor on illustration board
    Size: 19.5x12
    15 July 2010
    Name:  DesatJPG.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  85.6 KB

Title: The Little Mermaid - Transformation 1
    Medium: Watercolor on illustration board