Thanks

The elusive painter 6?

Hi there, I'm fairly new here but I've been driven here in search of some possible answers from a community that just might be the only one out there that could help!

Long ago I had purchased painter 5 (those horrible over sized floppies)
    And now I'm trying to find painter 6 or 7, but some of the sites I'm finding them listed for astronomical prices!
    I'm a starving artist who is just trying to get by, since it is such an old program, is there anyway to track it down for a more decent price? (Free is always good, haha) but seriously, I am really in a bind here looking for it. I would like to buy it officially, but not for a lot of the prices listed by private sellers on amazon or ebay!

Thank you for your time, and I hope this is in the right topic..>.>;;
    P.S.
    I'd like to post some of my work soon, but unfortunately I was a conformist and joined DeviantArt years ago and had all but that to stick with..*shudder*
    Thankfully I no longer use that service, so keep an eye out for me here!
    (Just incase you are bored or interested: http://hikoriku.deviantart.com/ )
    -Kim

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I lucked out and got Painter 6 off ebay for like 30 bucks along with 8. Problem is, I can't seem to update 6 to 6.1 the process freezes when asking for a reboot (not my computer, but apparently there's a hanging update process)

Thanks
    You should have been at the right time, there was a bunch with the can on ebay for 60 bucks some years ago, now it's almost impossible since people who got it don't want to let go, it's by far the best version all around, granted that the current versions have features that are missing in 6 but all the main tools are there anyway.

The update is essential, try a clean install, I've never had any problems updating it, I've also bypassed the memory issue, funny enough I'm getting that message in Painter 11 when playing around with the dry media brush features, I've completely uninstalled Painter 11 yesterday and until they get their act together I'm back to my trusty Painter 6.1 setup which has served me well for over 4 years, if Corel was smart the would sell Painter 6 as a lite version, make it only save to Riff and Tiff, remove the extra junk, let the palettes undock and fix some other stuff like the memory issue, people would be buying this version like crazy! Ok enough day dreaming back to work...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Portus View Post

The update is essential, try a clean install, I've never had any problems updating it, I've also bypassed the memory issue, funny enough I'm getting that message in Painter 11 when playing around with the dry media brush features, I've completely uninstalled Painter 11 yesterday and until they get their act together I'm back to my trusty Painter 6.1 setup which has served me well for over 4 years, if Corel was smart the would sell Painter 6 as a lite version, make it only save to Riff and Tiff, remove the extra junk, let the palettes undock and fix some other stuff like the memory issue, people would be buying this version like crazy! Ok enough day dreaming back to work...
    It would be nice to make a portable version of Painter, which is why I bought 6, it's easy to install on a different device (ie like a portable hard drive so I can take it with me). Only problem right now is getting it to once again recognize a second tablet....blah.

Painter 6 is ok though, it will do what I need for sketching, but honestly, I do like the other brushes in later versions. The watercolor brush is still cheesy as hell.

I was able to get it to update. I had used the fixit without knowing about the patch, so I did a reinstall. It was a bit tricky because the drive it was originally on, the letter changed. So it wouldn't let me install until I had re-assigned the drive letter it had in its logs :/

Now to get it to respond to a second tablet...meh...