cthulhu
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cthulhu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cthulhu

work in progress, everything is not fully rendered.

Just wanna hear your option, if there big misstakes that needs a fix and how you like it in general.

The major part which is not completly done yet are..

The Water, clouds. Mountains, the tree and some forground rocks.

Doing this for a friend and yeh I really like this piece so I really wanna fully study and understand this piece and really work out those issues.
    probably going into my portfoilo once im done with it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The way of how he stands if what bugs me. You should open his legs to sides, make him look like he feels his weight. No one can stand well in that straight pose and less when you have that belly o.o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeh thats true, been struggling on those legs, I never was happy with them.
    I guess you mean abit like a sumo wrestler.
    I will try get some more reference and get those legs to work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the piece. As Sinya spots, legs can get some rework.. I'd also point out that arms so stiff against body make it looks more made of stone and less alive..

Wonderful colours btw

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

really nice rendering on chthulu. FG feels a little flat in comparison, but overall looking pretty good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the atmospheric perspective on the monster. You may even wanna play that up a bit more. I agree with the weight, the monster kind of looks unnaturally stiff in posture. Also a few of the highlights in the bottom left on the rocks or grass seem to stand out far more then I would expect. Overall, I really like the way it's going. Facial tentacles are looking good. The view is kind of disorienting, dunno if that is bad or good, I think I like it. Oh, also the other men bowing appear rather unaffected by the big yellow light in front of them. Keep working, it's looking good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its a nice piece, it has a lot going for it. The only thing I would really push now is the detail in the foreground. The grass looks fine, but the rocks are vague. Get some detail on them and it will help push the depth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I painted abit on top of this .jpg to see were to go with the pose, as I felt I didnt really need to work in the orginal psd to do that, will just have to repaint it later, so take it with a grain of salt, im just trying to get the pose working, which is my main corcern at the moment.

uhm yeh I struggle quite alot with the pose, not sure if this was the solution for the issue.
    But I hope he feels the "weight" now, also tried to lift the arm away from the body too.
    But yeh if you got anything to say abit the changes, feel free to do so!

as for the other issues, I pushed chtulhu away abit more, u might just notice.
    as for the forgorund there will be more work there, probably gonna do some branches and highlights on that tree, and working those rocks up.

And yeh some refining of cthulhu's wings are also needed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_d-N1ING5g6.../orcDisp.2.jpg
    Here is an example I found of a larger creature who has a gut to support. It seems to me like the hair and shoulders are further back where as the stomach sticks out further.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update I guess, Thanks threecharles for that picture, well I definitly see that he doesnt look like a fat guy in those earlier pictures, more like a pregant guy.

So I tried to repaint that and change the pose abit, should look better now I hope, unsure at the moment if it is good enough. might be still some issues is hes body, but i gonna have a break now and do some other paintings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're having trouble with the pose, you might try doing some simple gestural studies of larger fellows to try and figure things out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the movement of the gesture much better, but the head body relationship still seems odd. May be caused by refinement issues since the head is much more refined then the body.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks great, but I think the angle of the painting is far too tilted. Tilted slightly is fine. Tilted like this makes it an effort to see what's going on. I had to orient myself with the artwork, and it still hurts to look at it.

I strongly suggest that you tilt it counter clockwise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something about it reminds me of Tim and Greg Hildebrandt's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    foreground still too rough, i do agree far too tilted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually think that making the pose more dynamic the way you have totally detracts from the lumbering-mass quality that you had earlier. I love H.P. Lovecraft and the original pose spoke way more the subtle, reserved nature of his work. Giving him a sumo-wrestler stance, or any sort of aggressive stance, makes him too active. Cthulhu isn't an oversized warrior, he's an enemy of the Old Ones, an Elder Thing, he doesn't need to be physically aggressive -- he just needs to be. In the original post, he looks like a menacing fat man standing in a doorway. That's awesome.

- O

Last edited by ModurnDae_OZEL; March 15th, 2009 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just realised how mutch this picture has changed since last time I posted, Anyway I hope not for the worse.

Thanks everyone for the crits! it has helped me alot to see whatever I didnt see before.

Uhm yeh I went back to hes original pose, mainly because I somewhat liked it and it was sort of the orginal idea, I wanted him to stand in a very misty area almost like he could vanish out of sight any second.

or as if just appeared for a second or too just standing there, abit creepy thing.

Anyway its getting closed to be done, it still might be a few last minute changes im gonna do, as im not fully satified with everything just yet, chtulhus head/shoulder area, I will probably try get some reference and try fix it with some liquid tool.

Last edited by UnidColor; March 22nd, 2009 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One note on the Cthulu's skin texture- I'm confused as to why his skin is completely dry and cracked-looking when he has just emerged from centuries of sleep at the bottom of the sea. I recommend you at least add streams of dripping water glistening in the moonlight or something like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your most recent one looks much much better now. It gives Cthulhu that aura of terrific majesty and size.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot spotfrog and Jie Kageshinzo!

I hope u like this update than.

Added the water effect and glossyness to the monster!

Added some rain falling from the sky, ( its not raining but, water dripping)
    Thanks again spotfrog for suggesting it!.

Changed the face, shoulder, stomach and made hes right tit abit bigger, Also suggested abit more of hes arms and changed the pose abit, not sure if it brings anything good too the picture, but he might just look abit more alive.

Plus added some more spikes to hes wings, more evil!

This painting as been such a pain in the ass, hard and alot of struggle, but I feel like I have learned alot by doing it

Still something odd with him, It might be the upper arms are abit to tall.

Last edited by UnidColor; March 22nd, 2009 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok. Very cool. But-the following confuse me: It's raining, but hose look like snow capped mounts in the back ground, and the colors i the top half of the piece re-inforce the fact that it feels cold as hell there, yet where the "sorceror sp?" is standing there is tall grass. It looks too cold for grass and too cold for rain? The pose in the bottom one of the creature is really good, in the 3rd one as well, but it looks like the creature is looking beyond the people, rather than at them. I really like the etherial feel of the piece and it's clear you have skill, just food for thought. keep up the good work. I'd liek to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wonder if it would be better to have the creature looking at your wizard, right now he's looking just straight ahead while there is this giant light projecting from the wizard, just give it a shot and see if you like it better. Maybe have that right hand projecting out or holding something and we get to see its effect on the surrounding environment.

im trying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking that's not rain but energy or something?

Anyway, I love it! Totally awesome! Totally Lovecraft!

- O

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This piece has improved so much, it's getting insane. You will have to post it in Finally Finished!

but, the angle is still hurting my eyes..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok lets see here, the final update before bed atleast.

I tried my best to adress the problems, once again thanks everyone for your comments.

So here is the list of what changes I made.

• First I tried to adress the problem with the tilt on the picture, making it hard to read, so I tilded it quite abit more horizontal, its the second time I do that, hopefully it should be alright now, or close to it.

Yeh I had to add some more canvas to do that, so you can now see more of the tree/chtulhus wings.

• I also tried to make sense of the enviroment, so I added some snow, which gives like a second element of intresst on the forground and ties it with the background, But i sort of didnt want to have snow on the tree, so I experimented and made so the spell the main guy is casting, is lifting up the snow. thats why u can see grass! does it makes sense?=).

Well if its weird or if it doesnt work, I got it all on a second layer, one click to remove it all, I guess, but I think its kinda cool.

• I guess I refined various of stuff, the water, added some small branches to the forground, added some more red light in cthulhus wings to make him more alive. And yeh added two spell books on the stone next the the big tree..... if u see it hah. stupid detail only for fun.

• and last I tried to make chtulhu head tilt more towards the spell light,

• Made cthulhus upper-arm abit shorter.

• and last I removed some water drippleds above chtulhus head, its not raining but its water dripping off hes body after coming up from the water.

A thing I was thinking off would be to add "ice blocks" in the water, to indicate it would been an ice there before chtulhu broke it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it. Look'n good. Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is looking great! I like the adjustments you made to the most recent image.

JanDegler is offline ** ..Reinvent yourself every day.. ** Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice progress here!
    Congrats!

I always loved HP for his Cthulu mythos... it a fascinating theme that I always wanted to illustrate...
    Nice to know that there are also others...

Cheers and keep it uP!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving how far this has come since the first post.

What I'm loving less is the waves. They look a bit like feathers to me, and if you're submitting it as a portfolio piece, I'd suggest taking a look at some references and working off of those. I'd also suggest ditching the lifting of the snow. maybe have it blowing up and away in powdery form at the edges or something, I think they're distracting the flow of the image atm. I'd like to see an hinted at outline of Cthulhu's hand in the fog, so it doesn't look like you're hiding the hand intentionally.

You're such a strong painter though, and I really want to impress upon you how lovely this image is getting. It's just going to be gorgeous when it's finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really liked when u could still see the legs, you should atleast make like one leg show trough the misto r sometinhg, other then that its totaly badass, love it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.