Sketchbook: I gots the potential (Last Title Change I Promise!) - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I gots the potential (Last Title Change I Promise!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even if this is a master study, I would still definitely watch your proportions, also, link the study, so I can compare the two.

Also, your anatomy seems borked in places. Namely, the legs look kinda flat, the shoulders look above the body itself. The face isn't terrible, but I'd watch the shading as it looks like its made of watered clay lol.

Your coloring on the fire part of the breastplate looks nice though

Just remember to do prelim sketches to get your anatomy right before diving in

Glad to see you finishing school though! I just finished mine myself -.- it was overly tiring in the end.

Keep posting though! You can only improve more and more

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teeny tiny update, I do want to keep this SB going. I drove a lot today, mainly searching for jobs. Seems like life has been taking precedence over my art, but hopefully once I get things sorted out I'll be posting work on here more often. A very quick study of a hand holding a katana done in photoshop. Keep your critiques coming. The SB will only get better if I know what I'm doing wrong!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one done mostly from imagination. Today was annoying >_<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My quick assessment is that you need to put down the buliding blocks first. Use basic shapes etc to build your figures. See Bridgeman, Loomis, tons of cartoonist etc for their theories.

Even lifedrawing benefits from throwing down basic lines and shapes first.
    Your hard on yourself and want to improve quickly, don't worry about photoshop, grab a pencil and just go crazy. Sketch alot, if a pic isn't working, start another.

Look forward to seeing you improve.

my sketches here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997

www.sevans.co.nz , visit them or a puppy dies!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SEVANS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well.... :|

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey its a naked lady! I made note of some of the errors I made. Done from a reference of course. I need to do some more studies :|

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats a really tough angle above... I like the fist though, it looks correct anatomically. :3

Keep going, your coming steadily.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing slump. Too tired to do anything about it now. Maybe tomorrow...

Edit: Tried to make blaaaaaakman from the "What Does Everybody Look Like?" Thread look like Solid Snake. I had fun drawing it .

Last edited by AeonPhoenix; June 19th, 2009 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't really been all that enthusiastic about drawing as of late, so very few updates. Even if you can't comment on a lot of the work I have here, I appreciate any input you guys can give me about what I should try to work on. Maybe that'll get me going again. Until next time

FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Nobody made good art by coloring in between the lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought I'd give my opinion on Death, seeing as how it's been on the news an awful lot as of late : |

FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Nobody made good art by coloring in between the lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I couldn't agree moar!

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Matte_Art about working on your proportions. Basically, the thing I think would help most is to check/compare stuff to other stuff more. So, instead focussing on just an arm, or just a part of the back, or just a shoulder or whatever, keep checking what you're currently drawing against what you've already drawn, and the reference you're drawing from, and what you intend to draw next.

Compare everything against everything else, paying attention to where lines meet, how big things are, how far away stuff is from other stuff, and so on. It could be said that all of drawing is comparing: comparing the reference, or image in your mind, with what you're actually putting to paper (and then correcting it when they don't match up).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm not dead!

I worked on this for five hours nonstop. It's not even close to being done. Thought I'd show you my progress so you could help me out. Medium is Photoshop.

FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    work on structure, and your drawings will improve greatly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    May I present to you all, my horrific attempt to draw Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. A true gentleman, and one who's visage I have failed to portray. It was still good practice, though. And damn it do I love the pose. Took me an hour. Which is what I was aiming for. I need to start setting deadlines for myself.

FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good sketchpad so far I'd say.
    Just keep up the anatomy practices. Look in mags, on the internet, posemaniacs too and oh- plenty of self portraits! That way you'll have lots of varied refferences.
    You're showing signs of improvement already though so keep up the good work!

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So far so good, but you should concentrate more on your figure right now,and that is, your rhythm, your proportions, and your anatomy.
    Posemaniacs really helped me with the first two, and bridgman, loomis, a bit of vilppu helped with the rest.
    Check out this list, if you haven't already.

I also see you working hard digitally, so here's a little note on light and colours. There's tons more about that, but i found this very informative, and helped me find a starting point.
    Hope it'll help you too.

And thank you for your comment, down in my sketch book.

Cheers

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i like your sketchbook title. i agree with it alot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been very on and off with this sketchbook for a lot of reasons, partially because I was rather immature a year ago. But I realized that when it comes down to it, I have to try damn it. I can't be afraid to learn how to draw and do things, and a failed attempt is better than to never attempt at all. That being said I've really gotten back into the swing of things. I've been forcing myself to draw everyday, regardless if its for 10 minutes or 5 hours. I used to waste a lot of time with this stuff, and I really felt foolish. But I'm ready to move on, the past is in the past, and the present is what I can control now. I've decided I'm really gonna focus on studying the human form, because when it comes down to it I really enjoy drawing people. That is the stepping stone upon which I will improve my overall skill. I appreciate the comments of all of those who have come here, and I hope that you will stay to see me improve. I am glad there are those who believe in me, but most importantly, I believe in myself.

Anywho these two studies are ones that I'm proud of, despite the errors. I have noticed some slight improvements in my technique as of late. For one I draw much lighter, much looser, and I don't use chicken scratch lines. I apologize for the shitty image quality, our scanner is broken and this camera is the only thing I got. I am getting some money from a job I'm finishing up, so I figure I could use it to get a scanner for myself ! But I'm talking way too much.

FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think the studies are great, especially the second one!

I used to have a hard time drawing too because i felt scared to put myself out there. I thought to myself that ide rather just not draw than to try really hard a suck.

But what really helped me was to set daily goals for myself. My first one was to draw every day. My second goal after a few months of doing that was to do a self portrait every day, and now it's to do a certain amount of sketch-booking every day.

Basically it helped me to focus more on the process, the long term goal, and the act of drawing rather than what i was producing. Because if you try to find happiness in everything you create its easy to get discouraged if you dont think you're good.

So ive learned the joy of drawing and interpreting things. And even if i only like a little scribble that i randomly doodled on a napkin, and hate the stuff i call "finished work" im happy either way because i enjoyed the mental state of drawing.

I am honestly seeing that as an artists our work will always be up and down. One day i feel like i can do anything, another i cant even draw squiggly lines right. But the thing is that it is impossible to see our true growth day to day. So starting self projects/challenges allows us to embark on a journey, the end of which we will be able to see considerable growth.

So maybe this will help! I hope!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JakehC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been feeling a little stagnant over the past week or so, but still making sure that I draw as much as I can, and that I don't go a day without drawing. Can't worry too much about getting better, it'll happen if I keep on drawing. Been doing mostly gestures, friend of mine says I should limit them to 30 seconds. He also says I should give cross contours a try, so I think I will. For now, here are some of the gestures I've done. I apologize once again for the terrible image quality. I know that I really want to draw fantastic stuff, but I would rather focus on learning the basics now so drawing awesome stuff will come more naturally to me. But I am talking way too much again.

FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another study, I totally messed up the shadows : \

FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This study I like. I fucked up the background though, but I was more focused on studying the woman. Forcing yourself to draw everyday, after spending years of telling yourself that "you can't draw" is one of the hardest things in the world. But truth be told, nobody ever got better by sitting around doing nothing.

FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Still Life I did. I didn't focus enough on the composition, and I could of blended a lot better.

FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not as organized with these posts as I'd like to be. And I probably need to do more studies. Can't be too critical. But I still should probably be doing studies

FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What started out as a study has now become something more. Not done yet Based on this reference:

FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this wrestler dude. I'd suggest making a separate layer where you lay down this guys masses in lines to get a better sense of form. Also have in mind the primary light source if you are going for your own direction with this.
    I hope this helps, keep it up!

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh nice coincidence I have done a study in my sb of Bronson too - although a fair while ago now.

Kudos for starting the sketchbook, and I know what its like to be searching for jobs and how it takes over your art! Personally I have just one tip for you really:

forget about sketching digitally until you can sketch traditionally with a pencil/pen. It is much much much easier to sketch traditionally and the only people who can sketch digitally well are those who can also (usually first) sketch traditionally. Just a piece of advice which should help you improve at a faster rate.

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotor View Post
    I like this wrestler dude. I'd suggest making a separate layer where you lay down this guys masses in lines to get a better sense of form. Also have in mind the primary light source if you are going for your own direction with this.
    I hope this helps, keep it up!
    I actually redid this painting cause I messed up on his body, and it's looking a lot better so I can't wait to show that when its done.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasM
    Ahhh nice coincidence I have done a study in my sb of Bronson too - although a fair while ago now.

Kudos for starting the sketchbook, and I know what its like to be searching for jobs and how it takes over your art! Personally I have just one tip for you really:

forget about sketching digitally until you can sketch traditionally with a pencil/pen. It is much much much easier to sketch traditionally and the only people who can sketch digitally well are those who can also (usually first) sketch traditionally. Just a piece of advice which should help you improve at a faster rate.
    I happen to agree with you, but I find the tablet to be tempting now that I know a little more about how to use it. You do happen to be right. I am making it a habit to sketch and practice on good ol paper.

Last edited by AeonPhoenix; January 24th, 2011 at 03:17 PM.
    FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    INCOMING!

And this study, which I've sort of abandoned. I took a tad too long on it.

Last edited by AeonPhoenix; February 1st, 2011 at 03:13 PM.
    FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.