Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: I gots the potential (Last Title Change I Promise!)

Thanks

I gots the potential (Last Title Change I Promise!)

I never thought I'd even try this, but here I am. Anywho I'm Aeon. I'm 19 years old, and am currently enrolled at New York Institute of Tech (hopefully I'll be leaving here soon, not liking it that much so far). I'm going for a degree in Computer Graphics, and I would like to be a concept artist, mainly specializing in humanoids. I've discouraged myself from drawing at times, frankly cause I can get a tad hard on myself, especially when it comes to my performance. But I think I'm getting over that. I know for a fact that I'm nowhere near the level I want to be, so I started this up. I'll try to update it as much as I can. So to start off with, a random sketch of a robot that I did in Photoshop. I'm more of a traditional pencil and paper guy, but Photoshop does indeed have its uses. BEHOLD!!! And this took me somewhere around 15 minutes or so to do...probably less.
    Last edited by AeonPhoenix; June 25th, 2009 at 12:48 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here is a sketch I did a while back...except I tried inking it..I really tried to put some effort into this one. I would have more, unfortunately I lack a scanner, and a camera. Hopefully if I get some more money I can invest in one or the other.

Thanks
    Just keep practicing on that tablet, I'll be np in a few days or so, and photoshop is your friend, if you feel more comfortable with pencil and paper, lay a piece of sketch paper over the tablet and draw, I find that helps. Humanoids huh, well suggest life drawing classes of photo reference studies, human anatomy of course along with the various creature types you wish to draw, mainly just find a focus of where you wish to go. Good luck in the future.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Izer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for your words of encouragement, as well as the tips.

Thanks
    Looks like I'm trying again. (GASP!) I tried a Self Portrait. I got the likeness down, but in terms of other stuff like details and whatnot, I kinda missed. This took me around 35-40 minutes to do. Critique it and lemme know what I can improve on. It was done in Photoshop using a Wacom Bamboo Fun Tablet.

Thanks
    I was pretty unhappy with the self portrait I first did. So to make up for it, I did another one. I think this one will make seem way more attractive....Laaadiiies. x3. This was done in Photoshop if you didn't already figure it out...as for how long it took me?....Hell I was so into it I wasn't even paying attention to the time. Lets say 1.5 hours?

Thanks
    Expect me to post some gesture drawings later today. I would do it right now, but my overlords are nagging the hell out of me to clean my living quarters.

Thanks
    Here they are. I think I need a bigger sketchbook. Also a better camera (I used my phone), and a scanner would help me out a lot. But I'll have to make due with what I have for now. I need critiquing. Please don't hesitate. Better I know what I'm doing wrong now then later!

Thanks
    Hey just keep pushing with those studies, you'l have skills in no time!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Senor Crazy Skull sat alone, floating aimlessly through a yet undiscovered dimension. Although he was cursed, he hoped that somebody would come along and touch him. The End.

Thanks
    Allright. Here is a picture that I'm not proud of. I did a portrait of another guy from a reference. Tell me everything that is wrong with this.

Thanks
    A very nice job so far... It's looking like you still need to work your basic studies... Understanding the tools of the trade is quite possibly the most important thing for an artist. Our tools are not mearly the page and pencil, the wacom tablet and photoshop... but also the intangible tools... Form Function(which dictates form) Structure and Tone/Color.

Keep at it, Its an awesome journey and the process is always more important than the outcome.
    -shawn

Thanks
    I am glad that you are joining us at concept art... we don't bite... too hard ;p

Anyway, definitely begin doing loads of studies like on post #8.

I'd suggest that you also try out doing some studies in real life, but if you don't have absolute access to that, you can try copying poses from of course: posemaniacs.com, or even hel-looks. They are both great sites to begin learning off of. hel-looks is more so for learning clothing and styles. But it's a great resource regardless.
    I'd honestly steer clear of photoshop unless you are merely looking to it for playing around and focus on the serious studies, again like post #8. They might be boring, but I guarentee, do 10 a day, 30/45 second studies, and you will see improvement drastically in a couple of months.

Just don't forget that art is supposed to be fun, so try out some experiments from time to time just like you have been, but don't leave out the studies!

Good luck!
    My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast