Sketchbook: I gots the potential (Last Title Change I Promise!)

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I gots the potential (Last Title Change I Promise!)

I never thought I'd even try this, but here I am. Anywho I'm Aeon. I'm 19 years old, and am currently enrolled at New York Institute of Tech (hopefully I'll be leaving here soon, not liking it that much so far). I'm going for a degree in Computer Graphics, and I would like to be a concept artist, mainly specializing in humanoids. I've discouraged myself from drawing at times, frankly cause I can get a tad hard on myself, especially when it comes to my performance. But I think I'm getting over that. I know for a fact that I'm nowhere near the level I want to be, so I started this up. I'll try to update it as much as I can. So to start off with, a random sketch of a robot that I did in Photoshop. I'm more of a traditional pencil and paper guy, but Photoshop does indeed have its uses. BEHOLD!!! And this took me somewhere around 15 minutes or so to do...probably less.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by AeonPhoenix; June 25th, 2009 at 01:48 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a sketch I did a while back...except I tried inking it..I really tried to put some effort into this one. I would have more, unfortunately I lack a scanner, and a camera. Hopefully if I get some more money I can invest in one or the other.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just keep practicing on that tablet, I'll be np in a few days or so, and photoshop is your friend, if you feel more comfortable with pencil and paper, lay a piece of sketch paper over the tablet and draw, I find that helps. Humanoids huh, well suggest life drawing classes of photo reference studies, human anatomy of course along with the various creature types you wish to draw, mainly just find a focus of where you wish to go. Good luck in the future.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Izer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your words of encouragement, as well as the tips.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like I'm trying again. (GASP!) I tried a Self Portrait. I got the likeness down, but in terms of other stuff like details and whatnot, I kinda missed. This took me around 35-40 minutes to do. Critique it and lemme know what I can improve on. It was done in Photoshop using a Wacom Bamboo Fun Tablet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was pretty unhappy with the self portrait I first did. So to make up for it, I did another one. I think this one will make seem way more attractive....Laaadiiies. x3. This was done in Photoshop if you didn't already figure it out...as for how long it took me?....Hell I was so into it I wasn't even paying attention to the time. Lets say 1.5 hours?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Expect me to post some gesture drawings later today. I would do it right now, but my overlords are nagging the hell out of me to clean my living quarters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here they are. I think I need a bigger sketchbook. Also a better camera (I used my phone), and a scanner would help me out a lot. But I'll have to make due with what I have for now. I need critiquing. Please don't hesitate. Better I know what I'm doing wrong now then later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey just keep pushing with those studies, you'l have skills in no time!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Senor Crazy Skull sat alone, floating aimlessly through a yet undiscovered dimension. Although he was cursed, he hoped that somebody would come along and touch him. The End.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Allright. Here is a picture that I'm not proud of. I did a portrait of another guy from a reference. Tell me everything that is wrong with this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A very nice job so far... It's looking like you still need to work your basic studies... Understanding the tools of the trade is quite possibly the most important thing for an artist. Our tools are not mearly the page and pencil, the wacom tablet and photoshop... but also the intangible tools... Form Function(which dictates form) Structure and Tone/Color.

Keep at it, Its an awesome journey and the process is always more important than the outcome.
    -shawn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am glad that you are joining us at concept art... we don't bite... too hard ;p

Anyway, definitely begin doing loads of studies like on post #8.

I'd suggest that you also try out doing some studies in real life, but if you don't have absolute access to that, you can try copying poses from of course: posemaniacs.com, or even hel-looks. They are both great sites to begin learning off of. hel-looks is more so for learning clothing and styles. But it's a great resource regardless.
    I'd honestly steer clear of photoshop unless you are merely looking to it for playing around and focus on the serious studies, again like post #8. They might be boring, but I guarentee, do 10 a day, 30/45 second studies, and you will see improvement drastically in a couple of months.

Just don't forget that art is supposed to be fun, so try out some experiments from time to time just like you have been, but don't leave out the studies!

Good luck!

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys so much. So far since I decided to make this sketchbook, I have gotten nothing but help and support from the CA community. I also have a small picture that I did in my RL sketchbook to show you. I may just go over it in Photoshop, cause its really hard to see. Just trying to see how good I can draw faces from a reference. Personally the picture looks a tad too anime-esque for me. :|

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More gestures from posemaniacs. I love that site so darn much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey lookin good AP, posemanicas is a good idea as matt art said doin life studies is a good idea, even if you cant like go out amd find people on the street ask your family to pose for a few secs, or just find a mirror even if its small (you can do eyes nose ears etc with small), or just put out your arm or hand and draw it, even doin something and i do this, stand up and make a pose, hold it and try to visualize from what ever angle you want to draw - what you look like in that pose, and try and remember it and draw it, you can do any angle just try to move around till it feel rite. Doin still lifes will help as well, cups, chairs, tables ETC, move around the subject and draw it, it will help you get used to a 3d object.

For portrait drawing i suggest doin your own face (yes it can be dull to do that) or just googlin' some people at random and drawin them, you can even find like mass faces and draw each (something like this, its high res: http://www.boingboing.net/images/Vid...me%20Faces.jpg ) or even takin a simple 3d program and opening a base head model and move it around and draw it you can make up details as you go (if it has a light function try to understand how light hits the objects, also doing simple geometric shapes and rendering them in various lighting will help when you get to this more complex stage such as the face. Anyways keep on drawin'and remember to have fun no matter what.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nicely done so far... Keep getting the poses down. If you are having trouble understanding the pose, get in it yourself. I actually mean set yourself up and stand in the very same pose you are trying to create. you will get a better feel for gravity and movement.

edit; damn Izer beat me to it... *snap*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man I'm putting too much stuff on here. Updated that anime-esque portrait I did earlier, transferred it over to Photoshop. I'm not sure what else I'd want to do with it. Anyway here ya go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it up! I'd recommend focusing on sketching in your sketchbook from life before you worry about photoshop. I found it added a whole extra layer of complication for me

Looking at the woman you have drawn from a reference, you're drawing what you think you see, not what you do see. Getting past that is easier said than done and you just have to draw from life or photographs until you crack it! Also, don't be afraid to shade things in

Have fun! And good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Friends I know I have a long road ahead of me, but the future is bright and full of possibilities. I'm gonna scan in stuff starting next week, cause I get to go back to classes (YAY.) This gives me access to a scanner, which will allow you to better view my non-photoshop/tablet based work. I also have school work to catch up on so better get on that. Toodles!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scratch that. I'm a lying son of a bitch. Here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first post with a half naked lady. I'm so proud.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I drew this from my head, no references at all. It still sucks though :|. Didnt even take me 10 minutes. Done in Photoshop. Woo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, AeonPhoenix. Nice practices so far. Have you studied Andrew Loomis? Loomis books are full of information on anatomy and proportions; you might look into it. Keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok man im only focusing on this piece: http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1237578573

Ok head to toe, you are on the rite track. The head in yours is titled in the wrong direction and turned to much to the viewer(look at the ref her head barely shows the opposite eye and left plane), the angle of the refs head is looking down so you can see the top of her head(also the shot as a whole is a downward angle, keep that in mind), the body just isnt long enough, so something quick to fix that (and most people use head measurements) measure the head length and from just past her chin stack the heads on top of one another, now this is from the back view so you wont see the nipples but write where then 2 heads meet in the middle are her nipples and breasts on the front, his is also the widest part of the ribs, so from there they taper down, now her arm is doing the same thing its just short, even pulled up like that it falls short, so ez fix same thing use head length (also note that from a standing position from shoulder socket to elbow is about 2 heads, elbow actually falls at the navel or just above) so just measure it out and where then 2 stacks of head stop is the elbow, remember to start at the shoulder socket though, im not really sure whats going on with her legs but from the picture just make a triangle with the body from hand to butt then straight out, or just divide the backside in half and go out form the right side. All in all what matters most is the angle, i you mess up the angle you can't exact get the proper proportions to the pic, you can however make your own proportions from the angle you have made. Hope this make some sense, it mite be ezer to use head size boxes, this way you can under stand the width of the body and arms ETC, the body should be and this is like default measurements, about 2 heads wide. Try and keep as try as you can to the reference as well. As i said in previous posts and i l repeat i would start with simple objects and still life setups before going onto humans. Hope his helps, keep it fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried drawing someone elses face besides my own for once. This was done in Photoshop. If you can't recognize who that is then either you don't know of him, or I did a horrible job with this portrait. I was really pissed that last week I didn't really find the time to draw. I was stuck taking care of some college work. I might go back and fix this one up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really tried to slow down and pick out as much detail as I could with this one. I know its hard to tell, but that is Uma Thurman from Kill Bill. I had trouble catching the likeness. I hope people will critique the fuck out of this. I have to head to class. Later guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick comment: Newest two are leaps and bounds from your original pieces. Sometimes it's great to just step back and really observe your subject

Keep at it!

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tis true, I guess. Though one thing about the piece that I'm not sure about. I've heard a few tell me that there is a problem with the eyes I drew in the latest sketch. I can't really figure out what it is : |. If you have any idea please lemme know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, its been a while hasn't it? College has kept me nice and busy, but its ending in two weeks, woo! I do plan on updating this more often once classes are fin. I do have a HUGE update...I don't think this is really a sketchbook piece, but this thread needs to get a refresher. I had to do a large scale reproduction of a master drawing, altering the image in some way. I took a guy and basically gave him Knight of the Blazing Sun Armor. If you've ever played Warhammer Online, you'll recognize what he's wearing...this paper is huge, and the medium is oil pastels. God knows how long it took me to do this thing. It was hard, but I feel like in the end I managed to do what was asked of me. So I share it with you! Don't feel afraid to critique it, I know there are plenty of things that could be improved upon. Also crappy camera phone..yay

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.