Thread: Crits Wanted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Crits Wanted

Hi guys,
    Let me start off by introducing myself:
    I am a freelance artist who has worked as a display designer,
    some illustration (nothing major), a little theater set and prop design/construction, and I have exhibited my work as a "fine artist". I work in traditional materials: graphite, ink, pastel,charcoal,acrylic paint, and watercolor, as well as digital mediums.
    I do sculpting (from wood, styrofoam, clay and paper mache)and a very limited amount of molding and casting.
    Most of what I do has been a solitary self-taght endeavor, although I do have an Associciate's of Arts degree (Art Foundations), a Computer Graphics Technology cert, and I am working on a CGT associates degree, currently.

Whew!! O.K. that takes care of my background. what brings me to the Critique Center, is because I feel I've hit a very hard, very impassible brick wall in my artistic career

Some of my known issues are:
    Structure/Construction of form.
    Proportion and perspective.
    Value and lighting. ( I tend to make things too dark and heavy)
    Composition.
    And finally, speed. I need to get faster.
    I know that is a quite a laundry list already, but I am dedicated to improving.
    I need suggestions about what post here first... Something that might help people catch some problems, which I wasn't aware of, or have suggestions as to how to improve. For starters Ihave a sketchbook thread, a sculpture thread, and a storyboard thread (It's the last post on the first page...i know they are terrible) I have been revisiting the basics:
    anatomy (been studying Bridgeman and Loomis)
    basic geometric shapes, and how they relate to the building of all forms.
    I'm really looking forward to some constructive advice...
    Thanks, so much

Zombifried

"Try not. Do or do not!! There is no try"
    -Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

zombifried's sketchbook
    zombifried's sculpture thread
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The critique area is generally for one specific piece you want advice on. It's a bit unfair to expect others to give you crits on all your stuff.
    You have listed what you are bad at, so go improve, your proportions and things are improved by sketching from life/photos. Value and lighting, you already said what you are doing wrong so just try to stop doing it. As for speed, it comes with practice like with most things. Try posemaniacs.com, they have 30/60/90 second pose generators that will help.
    Look at other peoples work, and take the time to look through the forum at all the tutorials and things because they have everything you need to know about pretty much everything. Better yet, buy a Massive Black video tutorial. Within about a month or so of casually browsing this site, i had half an A4 notebook full of tips and advice on everything you listed
    Keep studying Loomis, and Bridgman. Just keep drawing stuff, everything any anything.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow...
    First of all I apologize for not being clearer.
    i did not intend for any one person to make critiques on all of my work. That would be unfair. No, I would not ask that. I just wanted someone to get a feel, a general overview, for my work. Usually, a problem uncorrected gets repeated in each piece.
    So that being said, I was hoping for someone to pick up on something I had missed , or have a suggestion as to what to work on, which you did, and I thank you.
    Thanks for all of the advice and for your patience with me. I apologize again for the misunderstanding.

Last edited by zombifried; March 10th, 2009 at 12:45 AM.
    "Try not. Do or do not!! There is no try"
    -Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

zombifried's sketchbook
    zombifried's sculpture thread

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.