My creatures/characters modelsheets
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow My creatures/characters modelsheets

Hello CA. Even thought this is my first post here I have been around here for a long time looking at other artists works. I used to post my drawings at Deviantart before but people never gave me critique there, just the typical "nice" comments and others got angry when I gave them critique to their work. Hearing other people that had the same experience there and watching how nothing changed there and how the best works were always fanart or just unfinished sketches made me move my drawings to this place. This place has a lot of proffessional artists and I'm sure that here I'll be able to improve my drawings for a good portfolio.

Here are 10 modelsheets that I recently did; I don't have any more original drawings done in the computer since I used to do fanart before (I did it to raise my popularity in DA in order to get more comments It didn't worked after all). But I have a lot of sketchbooks of creatures and random ideas for characters that I can use to do new ones.

I have bigger sizes of these drawings but I think that these are fine right? By now the only person that I have asked for critique has been my animation teacher so I need the opinions from other people too. I like to change the style after every 10 drawings; I decided to start with something simple.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sinya; March 28th, 2009 at 03:40 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sinya> Honestly, "nice" is a good descriptor for your pieces. Sorry DA was such a let-down for you. I think you'll find this site a bit more helpful. Though, you definitely have to put in what you want to take out of it. The more you help others, the more you'll get help on yours. People are more professional here, for sure, so keeping a professional attitude will take you far. As a small crit on asking for crit, it helps to be specific on what you're looking for. Painting Technique? Composition? Character Design? Presentation? The options are endless, and most people aren't willing to spend an hour on a crit the way I do. LOL As I tell everyone I crit, take or leave anything I tell you. If you don't see it as help, it will probably cause more frustration than improvement. I don't consider myself a master, but I've been through enough instruction and professional critique to have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Technique

I'm seeing a good progression, as I look through the pieces. I assume the top turtlish piece is the most recent. The painting technique feels the most evolved, as far as skin texturing goes. You might consider adding some texture to the upper parts of the legs, the way you did with the tail. That, or take the texture off the tail. I know texture for 2D animation is kept pretty limited for ease of painting the frames. If it's for 3D animation, GO CRAZY! As it is, it feels slightly unfinished. I like how the front claws came out. They have a more painterly feel. Remember, shadows get desaturated. The bulk of your saturation will come in your mid-tones. You do a good job desaturating your highlights, but your shadows don't feel like they lose any color. I do like that you don't go straight to black, for model sheets, but pulling out some saturation will give it a more realistic feel, if that's what you're going for. I do like how your upper three designs incorporate more variety in color. It gives them more interest and personality. The lower ones feel flattened and less eye-grabbing.

Layout and Presentation

I notice a distinct lack of 3/4 views in your sheets. While front/side/back might get you a technically accurate 3D model, an angled view will exponentially help get across to the animators/modelers what you had in mind for the design (trust me, I speak from experience). I know some studios will let you get by without doing a 3/4 angle, but the big studios require a higher standard. Check out some Disney model sheets if you can find them. I'm pretty sure you can find a few online, or maybe someone here can hook you up. I don't have the ones I worked from, or I would show you. Also, Every pro model sheet is going to have some text information: Name of the character, Project they're associated with, Relationship to the main character, etc. With yours, I might actually give an evolutionary description (reptilian, amphibious, mammalian, avian, etc.). You could even get creative and give them a binomial nomenclature in Latin. I do want to say that I really like the head views in the sheet for the dark skeletal girl. An animator/modeler would really appreciate that level of effort.

All this crit aside, these are easily professional. All I've mentioned is just an effort to get you to push it even further. Keep up the good work!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Okcyde For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i agree w/ Okcyde an i think you might enjoy starting a sketchbook its very helpfull cheers'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sinya> Honestly, "nice" is a good descriptor for your pieces. Sorry DA was such a let-down for you. I think you'll find this site a bit more helpful. Though, you definitely have to put in what you want to take out of it. The more you help others, the more you'll get help on yours. People are more professional here, for sure, so keeping a professional attitude will take you far. As a small crit on asking for crit, it helps to be specific on what you're looking for. Painting Technique? Composition? Character Design? Presentation? The options are endless, and most people aren't willing to spend an hour on a crit the way I do. LOL As I tell everyone I crit, take or leave anything I tell you. If you don't see it as help, it will probably cause more frustration than improvement. I don't consider myself a master, but I've been through enough instruction and professional critique to have an idea of what I'm talking about.
    I know that some people said that because they liked my work but those were the comments for every drawing. It was the same with others people work, sometimes it was because they didn't know much about art or because they were just interested in getting pageviews and raising their popularity. I sure won't have problem in giving critique, when people want to I can even help with advice in small details.

All the options that you added are good for me to recieve critique. Now giving especific details of it I would like to know what my modelsheets miss regarding their presentation, like what they should have if they were going to be presented in a job. Also I would like to know if their character desing is good to animate, not in details, more like if they can walk right or move well with their proportions in order to make them look credible and realistic.

Technique

I'm seeing a good progression, as I look through the pieces. I assume the top turtlish piece is the most recent. The painting technique feels the most evolved, as far as skin texturing goes. You might consider adding some texture to the upper parts of the legs, the way you did with the tail. That, or take the texture off the tail. I know texture for 2D animation is kept pretty limited for ease of painting the frames. If it's for 3D animation, GO CRAZY! As it is, it feels slightly unfinished. I like how the front claws came out. They have a more painterly feel. Remember, shadows get desaturated. The bulk of your saturation will come in your mid-tones. You do a good job desaturating your highlights, but your shadows don't feel like they lose any color. I do like that you don't go straight to black, for model sheets, but pulling out some saturation will give it a more realistic feel, if that's what you're going for. I do like how your upper three designs incorporate more variety in color. It gives them more interest and personality. The lower ones feel flattened and less eye-grabbing.
    These modelsheets are more for 3D animation, I didn't add texture to the upper part of the legs of that modelsheet because I wanted to leave those parts looking more like the human skin than other animal textures. It's the same for other creatures that don't have a lot of texture; I add it depending on their types of skin.
    Yeah looking at other people's conceptarts I was able to see how adding black or darker colors made their drawings look more realistic. Unfortunately I learned that when I was almost finishing my 10 modelsheets so I decided to leave it as a style (cartoony style probably since they don't look realistic). I'll add more saturation to the next modelsheets that I do and I plan to add a different style after every 10 drawings (10 in order to be able to master it).
    Layout and Presentation

I notice a distinct lack of 3/4 views in your sheets. While front/side/back might get you a technically accurate 3D model, an angled view will exponentially help get across to the animators/modelers what you had in mind for the design (trust me, I speak from experience). I know some studios will let you get by without doing a 3/4 angle, but the big studios require a higher standard. Check out some Disney model sheets if you can find them. I'm pretty sure you can find a few online, or maybe someone here can hook you up. I don't have the ones I worked from, or I would show you. Also, Every pro model sheet is going to have some text information: Name of the character, Project they're associated with, Relationship to the main character, etc. With yours, I might actually give an evolutionary description (reptilian, amphibious, mammalian, avian, etc.). You could even get creative and give them a binomial nomenclature in Latin. I do want to say that I really like the head views in the sheet for the dark skeletal girl. An animator/modeler would really appreciate that level of effort.
    Thanks for that advice, I saw 3/4 views before in modelsheet but I thought that they weren't necessary for these, I want them to have a proffessional look so I'll draw them now. I'll also give them a name and add more information about them as you said, I actually already did some of it before in order to know how they should look making reference to their living habits.

Yeah, the dark skeletal girl was supposed to be more detailed, I looked for extra information regarding anatomy and dino skeletons for the tail and other parts, I was even going to give her a pose sheet and write more details regarding her number of bones and the right lenght of them. It was just I way to show how detailed I could get with the modelsheets. But I got tired with the amounts of details that I gave her since I colored her on ilustrator with the pen tool (but then I had to fix some things in photoshop), it was just done like that for practice.

Thanks for everything! Now I'll start to work on those things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is something like this better? I'm not sure of what type of font I should use for the letters thought.

Also I gotta say that my main languaje is not English, I write first the descriptions in Spanish and then I change them into English so I'm not sure if I have spelling mistakes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a thought about the text: be carefull of the text colour and the background colour. It is easy to read at the top where the background is darker, but it gets more difficult to read as you go further down the page, where the background is lighter. Pics are nice though ^_^

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.