Tips for learning to draw from imagination?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tips for learning to draw from imagination?

Hi,
    I'm a hobbyist 3d modeller and the lack of ability to draw from my imagination really impairs my ability to translate my concept ideas to a drawing then to a model. Usually I'll end up asking a friend to help me out with a concept or just model without one.
    I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or resources to help learn to draw from imagination.
    By the way, the reason I specify from imagination is that I actually can draw quite well, but only what I see. If my subject is in front of me I can make a pretty good drawing of it with good shading, perspective, proptions etc. But for the life of me I can not render anything from my imagination.
    Any tips?

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what Manley told me once... Its all about telling a story, when concepting... First thing is think of something generic.. like.. lets go with Ogre...

what is the first thing you think of when you think of Ogre.. Okay..

BIG, Harry, Leather loin cloth, maybe a pouch, possibly green, but mainly tan, big nose.. maybe.. etc. VERY GENERIC!

NOW make up a story around him... start giving him charecter flaws, give him personality...

-How does he walk, what does he wear, what kind of weapon does he use.. is it a club.. well if its a club what's unique about that club.. does it have notches in it for kills.. does it have spikes.. whats the club made out of.. is a it a full on Tree sapling.. with roots.. does the tree have an engraving in it from a couple who placed there love for one another in it... Okay about him.. How does he walk.. does he have a gimp.. or does he stand tall.. Is this a smart Ogre.. or is he a dumb bafoon... Does he have a patch over his eye.. or is one eye bigger than the other... how are his teeth.. BUCK? Overbite? Is he Harry all over or patches.. Does he have a necklace with eears on it, or heads.. maybe skulls... any tatoos? Why does he ahve a tatoo and what does it represent? He have shoes? or wrapped feet... Does he have battle wounds? How old is he... Is he thin... or fat and massively overweight?....

Begin to tell a story... think of features that make him unique and different then every other ogre out there.. but THE FIRST OBJECTIVE IS!!! MAKE SURE PEOPLE RECOGNIZE A. THIS IS A OGRE... THEN B. WHy he is different and unique..

Good luck...

Tell a story.. draw a picture...

peace,

-mike

PS Check out... Don Seegmillers book,

Link:
    Don Seemiller boog on Amazon

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I still suck at drawing from my imagination, but one thing that has helped me get better looking drawings is to imagine the object as a three dimensional object in my mind. Then I use either lines or tones to define the form. Defining the form helps the object to look more realistic. You also have to take into account what the lighting is like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In all forms of illustration and conceptualization, The process is always made simpler by thinking and starting with "primitive" or basic shapes. Think of the most fundamental shapes, then modify them and or combine them in ways that are pleasing to your eye. This principle applies to both Illustration and 3d modeling. Never think of detail until you have a silhouette or "shape" that is pleasing to your eye.

www.geocities.com/madpencil2003/Concept

www.madpencil.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try relaxing a bit first. If you're all uptight when beginning a project, feeling you have to perform, the best you can hope for is technical excellence that is somehow flat and uninspiring. If, as in your case, you are still building up your basic skills (and who isn't really?), such frustration will kill your abilities.

Art is a skill that can be called up at will, but that only happens when you train yourself to let it sort of flow, rather than dragging it out by the short hairs.

Try thinking of patience of this kind as another skill to develop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all these tips, this is really useful information. I'm going to give this a try and see if I have more success.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try not to "think" about it. Just move your pencil. That voice in your head will probably keep talking, but don't force it to think about your drawing. Like I can talk on the phone or think about my schedule or whatever the hell is on my mind while I let my subconcious and "feelings" form the drawing.

It helps to relax too. Try some music, a drink, a nice chair, ect and just let it come out on it's own.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello wglwill,

Im in the same boat as you...i have these ideas but for some reason i can't put them on paper. I thank all of you for the tips and i will try to put them to use. I do have one other problem. Ok sometimes i do get this pretty good character drawing in a front view pose but i have alot of problem drawing its side profile. Do you guys have any tips for that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is more of a technical barrier than just getting things from your head onto paper. Try finding a gppd anatomy reference, and learn the proportions of the body. Then practice using this knowledge by drawing people in a lot of different poses.

Some of the trouble beginners have is not having a solid enough foundation of practical knowledge. They have an intuitive image in their head, but translating that into a visual image requires an understanding of what looks correct to our eyes. The images in people's heads are actually a lot less visual than they imagine. You can't really "check the image" and see if what you draw is correct or not. It gets created as you draw. So learn the technical skills that will allow this process to happen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you so much for the info. I do have to agree with you. I haven't drawn in a while and i really want to pick it up again. I started doing 3d modelling in my spare time but soon realized that modelling will be much easier if you have good reference material, meaning a nice front and side profile. I would love to create a big ogre type creature but i really need to get my ideas together and learn how to draw both front and side poses to match up.

Thanks again for the info

PS: Does anyone know of a good book on drawing ogres and other similar creatures?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brad. Have a look at your local Games Wrokshop store and pic up a little minature Ogre. That should help you out quite a bit.

For any 3D modellers, check out these two sites.

www.3d.sk (warn nudity)
    www.fineart.sk (warn nudity)

I think that starting off with reference is very important. I learnt to draw thanks to Playboy. If I could have found some decent male reference back then, I would probably be a lot better at drawing males today

Start with life drawing. Once you are comfortable, add your own twists and ideas. Then just start making characters up from nothing.

.: I am a Middle Class Member :.

Members who have read this thread: 5