C.O.W. #136 Beatific Dragon with Breath Weapon! --WIPs Posting Thread - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. #136 Beatific Dragon with Breath Weapon! --WIPs Posting Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A small update to my image. I'm working out a few elements in the image, whether I want them in or not.

Kev

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've added the thumbnail in as a placeholder. The weapon is bubbles. I have an explanation for their need and everything.

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stilver

update

Last edited by skullbeast; March 12th, 2009 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man this is really really hard. Whats getting me is displaying the breath weapon and still making the dragon look peaceful and beatific and all things good....

soon as i open the jaw and reveal the teeth...along with the weapon.....shit looks evil....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here I am posting wips days before the deadline...
    I'm sorta going with the butterfly-breath thing; the first thing that came to mind were the 'most beautiful butterflies' at the end of the Cowboy Bebop movie

so I'm aiming for a feel like that.
    Pretty happy with the rough so far but I'm gonna play around with a few things (gasp!) before settling... You never know, might work?

Some cool wips coming up already, too scorge and yoitisi, some very nice different takes on the usual dragon thing, really liking the moth-dragon idea...

it occurs to me that both my emotions and reactions are ill-placed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr--Jack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now this is awesome Mr jack...i cant wait to see this in full colors!

it is really a challenge to do butterflies breath as a weapon.. i wanted to see that..yeah i remember that cowboy beebop movie...

"The reason for evil to triumph is when good men do nothing"

the mouse is in the house my digital painting attempts using optical mouse
    PLS VISIT MY SKETCHBOOK = http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=133255

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP it into shape

Noodling around with the forms at the moment, still trying to come up with a good breath weapon...

***EDIT 1

Quick scribbling over before I hit bed

Last edited by fionkell; March 12th, 2009 at 06:39 AM.
    Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Screwed up the colors. Shield your eyes!
    Name:  beadrwip.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  179.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno Benu, I wouldn't say you "screwed up" the color at all... and it's good to see someone else working with the traditional watercolor route!

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For folks that are still hemming and hawing over ideas...

I won't find the time to try my idea this week, but one design I was contemplating was a dragon with a sort of crest that looked like a pope's miter. Getting it to look like a part of its body and not clothing would have been a real trick though. I was thinking something with a very tall, long neck, which got a lot wider on it's body...symmetrical composition (mostly) almost ritualistic... ornate... probably angel wings... a pose almost like prayer though perhaps not so anthropomorphic... breath weapon would have been a very bright bolt of sunlight.

Thought a little bit about the way Gandalf the White rode out on Shadowfax and repelled the Ringwraiths on thier Fell Beasts with his staff.

Remember that 'beatific' does not necessarily mean peaceful. Sometimes you have to kick evil's ass pretty hard, shine a really bright light, and make the vile things of the world squirm and run away with their undead, souless existences.

(Anyway, just a ramble. Won't have time to do it, so if anyone likes this as a springboard, use it as you see fit....)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope I'm going in the right way with this dragon
    Name:  dragonPierropod.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  194.5 KB

My Portfolio : http://pierropod.daportfolio.com/
    My Concept Art Gallery : http://www.conceptart.org/?artist=Pierropod
    My Facebook FanPage : FanPage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    major overhaul from my first WIP...

head rendered...i had to think out of the box for this "snapping turtle dragon"...i prefered not to change its stance since for me it look like majestic and full of confidence... i still need to play with colors..i dont want this to look monotonous...but im not that good in coloring yet...i still ask for Mr Jack's assistance...hehehe..its my first time to use a tablet and attempted to join this thread right away...ambitious i am tsk tsk tsk...

enjoy..hope to finish this soon...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey michael, that what i was thinking too...the light that emitted from gandalf's staff...the first time i read your specifications or descriptions...whatever...

this is really tough...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great start everyone.

me, I`m just WIPing along, this is so much fun.

P.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Patri! You speed demon genius! Love your new (to me) avatar BTW.

Welcome back to COW, mister. Can't wait to see your final.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Umm.... I've never done this before, but I thought I might give it a go. I personally like my dragons to be enormous lizard-like creatures with wings, so I chose that route. I have an unyielding love for dinosaurs which could explain this. Anywho, the topic mentioned a dragon shooting a beam of light as it's breath. That seemed like a great idea to me and it's what I'm attempting to create.

WIP, obviously, and I didn't include the wings to display, because they're hardly finished. I was attempting to create scales more quickly, however I eventually realized it wasn't granting me positive results. Now I'm drawing them all by hand.

Name:  dragon4.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  356.0 KB

Name:  dragon4head.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  176.2 KB

I hate families.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really struggling with his far back leg, can anyone give me any pointers?

Tomorrow man Looking awesome with the gold, but the neck looks abit too rigid an looks like his head is just sorta stuck on there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shall I curve the neck, maybe? Like an "S." And I'll work on that head, too. Thanks for pointing that out.

I hate families.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Michael Jaeks-- another question- The breath weapon does not have to be an "exhaled" weapon, does it? i would like to draw my dragon as an inhaler of the evil of the creatures, which might not taste good but would kill them and leave them either like bones or.. a non-evil dead version of their former selves.

"Steering perception? i am.
    Inviting contradiction? i am."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As far as your leg goes, I'd suggest drawing some lines to find the creature's alignment. After that, you might benefit from some real world comparison, if the trouble is making it look "right." They also appear to be slightly ranging in size a bit too much. Perhaps I'm imagining.

You have a beautiful creature so far, so really the best advice I think would be to just sharpen those details and finish her up. I can't wait to see it finished.

I hate families.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

Finally getting into the final character, but I need to make it more epic, fit some wings on there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the variety everyone's coming up with. my knowledge of dragons is very limited, always thought about drawing one up bur never finished any, hope this may be the first one. a small update.need more ooomph!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the way that is coming out benu! The foreground dragon especially, the head and neck are looking awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a rough side view of my design. Now I'm going to go do some homework, so I don't feel completely irresponsible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a revised version of my dragon. I think I may tilt the head a bit in order to show the left side more. I'd like the smile on the dragon's face to be more obvious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my hand is about to fall off gonna give it a rest for tonight i think...

29. The Following User Says Thank You to kovah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tomorrow-man, that gold is so beautiful I can't even begin to describe it. Great job with the color! Some of the perspective is still a bit strange, looks like maybe you made a collage of reference images and then painted over it. It will probably just need a little bit more working with the connections on some parts like the head to make it look all the same piece. For instance the upper and lower jaw look like they're in different perspectives (look at the points on the bite of the upper jaw where it dips down) But oh my gosh, gorgeous color!

Kovah - Looking good! One thing I notice is it looks very clay-like. Maybe widen the bright parts so it looks more shiny? You might just need some bright white highlights in the middle of your lit parts. The perspective is looking a little strange in places where he's touching the ground. You may want to raise up the far leg, to look like it's a little farther away, or maybe add some darker shadow right where he's touching the ground.

Benu - that's some great color. Very bird-like and pretty! Good detail too. Are you going to touch it up digitally or just do it all traditionally?

dwinbotp - your dragon is very dark, looking kinda evil right now.

thinmint - I really like the shading of those gems or whatever they are. Strange and alien looking dragon, but looks good! Yeah I think you need to add wings =)

Paracsy - great start, good detail! Your color scheme is kinda everywhere at the moment though.

Iolarnula - cool design! Can't wait to see the color =) It's a little hard to see his eyes, but I think some more detail will clear that up fine.

Pierropod - looks cool! Kinda monochrome... reminds me of the Chozo statues... Which are strange, beautiful and benevolent also.

Mr. Jack - your work is always fantastic, I'm glad you're giving this a shot. And already days before the deadline you have WIPS? Can't wait to see some color.

Aoseen - Neat pose! He is looking kinda evil. Maybe have the spikes and stuff be curling upwards instead of drooping downwards? Color can have a lot to do with it. Maybe don't even show any teeth? Angly lines like you have usually connote evil... maybe tone that down a bit, make them less sharp?

skullbeast - It's coming along nicely. Although, there's no way for me to tell he's a "good" dragon except for the little demons. You might change his color from that dark brown to something lighter?

Everyone's dragons are shaping up! I tried to give crits to most people... sorry if I missed you. I got tired =(

Here's my progress pic. I am just trying to get the lighting right before I go on to the details. I edited the pose and form quite a bit. I want him to be a powerful knight-like type of dragon. Fearful and awesome against the forces of darkness! (Anyone remember that whenever angels appear to anyone in the Bible the poor humans are struck with fear?)

Name:  holydragon4.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  220.8 KB

Last edited by meganite; March 12th, 2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: adding crits
    My DeviantArt Page | Help me improve!! My Sketchbook

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meganite For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you were right about that neck. I tried to integrate the head into the body more, and added some scales. What do you think?

Edit: Thanks meganite! Yeah, it was surprising to me how wonky the pose was until I fixed it, (hopefully!). I hadn't even noticed, mostly because I'm so detail oriented I can forget about the whole picture, and thus what really counts. Although I didn't trace anything, because, well, that would be defeating half the fun, I did use a reference for the body, specifically that of a horse. They're similar in my opinion, and optimal for use. The head was more my love of dinosaurs coming out, but from imagination. I drew it about three times before I settled. I actually had an entire other version of my dragon flying through the air, but forgetting to save on a computer that's less than reliable can an unhappy artist make. Basically, I had to redraw the entire thing. Oh well. That's how ya learn.

By the way, though yours is just in its inception, it looks AWESOME! I'm already afraid and you've barely laid down the planks. I skimmed through your sketchbook, and I gotta say, I can't wait to see what you'll offer.

Name:  dragon6.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  378.9 KB

Last edited by Tomorrow-man; March 12th, 2009 at 04:58 PM.
    I hate families.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by riotorange View Post
    Michael Jaeks-- another question- The breath weapon does not have to be an "exhaled" weapon, does it? i would like to draw my dragon as an inhaler of the evil of the creatures, which might not taste good but would kill them and leave them either like bones or.. a non-evil dead version of their former selves.
    Its an interesting twist on the idea. You can give it a try if you like. What exactly would your dragon exhale after it sucked up all the evil, is the question I'm left with.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.