Need Some Art Advice Badly

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need Some Art Advice Badly

Ok so I'm trying to get better at drawing the human figure. I have been trying to draw some of the anatomy out of Andrew Loomis anatomy book but the thing is i can't seem to master any of the anatomy in there. I'm still stuck on the first lesson where it shows you the front, side, and back view. I'm currently still working on the front view and its been about a week now and i still can't seem to master it.

Granted I get close to almost perfect now when I look at it and draw it but I want to be able to draw it from memory so I have references logged into my brain. I don't know how people go about trying to draw stuff from memory maybe i just have poor memory skills or something. Any ways does anyone know of a way to get better at drawing stuff from memory? Is there and exercise out there that might help me with this problem? Also is there any way to mental prepare you from drawing?

I'm also currently having some difficulties in proportion. I have been trying correct this problem but its not that easy.

any ways any advice would be most appreciated thanks

here is the picture I'm talking about.
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/att...chmentid=76078

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,634 Times in 3,788 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A week is nothing. Keep practising, and even when you know it, still practise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    learn each part of the human figure, and then you know how to draw them from memory, sorta building the figure sorta way.

Learn some bridgmans, it's much better than Loomis. But this is just MY OPINION. I think at leat 90% of the people here won't agree with me on that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Keep at it. Very few artists can draw an accurate human figure without reference, and none after a week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So do you think I should master the front view first before I move onto the side view or just draw all the views regardless if i master them or not?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Doesn't matter. You just need a whole bunch more learnings.

A week is not even worth counting. Expect serious improvement in a year or two.
    Anatomy is a lifetime mission, it's probably the most complex thing most of us will ever have to draw (not helped by the fact it's also one of the most recognisable things.) Everyone "sees" anatomy errors, nobody sees concept car errors or teapot errors..

Nobody has an experimental concept car to compare your efforts to but we can all go "well, that's not how my elbow is constructed.."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Basically don't expect to learn 100% of something from anatomy so you can later move on to something else. There will never be 100%. There is smooth transition between not knowing how to draw human and drawing completely realistic one. I think it's better to analyse a little bit of everything and not leave any part behind. Do some studies of one part but after while move on to something else regardless of your actual level. You can come back later when you discover new things.

And like Flake mentioned also don't expect to improve in a week or two. It's better to measure improvement in years. During that time you just need to enjoy the ride .

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Amagumo View Post
    Ok so I'm trying to get better at drawing the human figure. I have been trying to draw some of the anatomy out of Andrew Loomis anatomy book but the thing is i can't seem to master any of the anatomy in there.
    FDFAIW isn't an anatomy book, it's a figure drawing book. Anatomy is part of it, but not its emphasis. Loomis was as good a writer is he was an artist; make sure you read what he has to say (yes, especially the long introductory sections), don't just look at the pretty pictures.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok guys i'll take your advice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Learn the whole body at once. The back is connected to the front, the top of your head is connected to the bottom of your feet. Why not concentrate on how the body transitions from one part to the next and how it functions in action. You haven't been working at it long enough for it to become ingrained into your memory. Draw from life as much as possible and consult an anatomy book if there is something you don't understand.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.