Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IDW #95: Scrapheap Challenge

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #95: Scrapheap Challenge

Topic: Scrapheap Challenge

Background: Okay, as I already mentioned before, I was planning something special for round 95! Originally suggested by Cookiedough, and I worked some more on the idea to fit it into a proper IDW topic. Took me a bit of work, so my apologies for the delay with putting this round up

For those of you familiar with the show, there are of course a few changes. For those of you who've never heard of it: Scrapheap Challenge - Wikipedia

So, what's the idea for this IDW then? Well, you are going to design a machine (presumably build in 10 hours time - this doesn't mean you have 10 hours to finish your entry, it means the machine you design might be a bit dodgy and unfinished) that can complete the track as shown below. In the show there's usually 2 or 3 teams competing against each other, so feel free to design more than one machine if you want.

The Challenge:

Here's a short step-by-step guide to this round and a quick example:

Step 1: Instead of scrounging your stuff from a real junk yard, you'll have to go out on the internet and gather a bunch of pictures that you think might provide inspiration/material for the vehicle you are going to design. You can use as many images as you like, but about 3 or 4 images should already be enough. Don't limit yourself to only technical parts, anything might serve as inspiration in this round: animals, landscapes, abstract, go wild!

One thing though: keep track of where you've found your images, because you'll need to post them and a link to where you've found it in the finals thread. No reference to the site you've found them on, and your entry might be pulled from the poll! Also, you are free to use elements of the photographs in your final rendering, but copyright laws still apply!

Step 2: Now that you've gathered your reference, start designing a scrapheap machine that can do the track as seen below. The design is totally up to you, but keep in mind that the original show had a 10 hour deadline for building their machines. This means the machine you'll design should be believable as something build within 10 hours! And..use your reference! Oh and one more thing, go wild! Some kind of feasibility is required, but that doesn't mean you can't make spider-legged steampunk monsters

Step 3: Post your final image in the finals thread, along with either a link to or the images plus link in your post. Mind you, you'll have to explain how your machine is capable of doing the track, so more than one image or a storyboard approach might be necessary!

Name:  Scrapheap example 1.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  139.9 KB
    Image 1 | Image 2 | Image 3

The Track

Below you can see a short overview of the track. There are a few elements here that need an explanation, but the basic idea is that your machine starts and finishes at point 1, and has to make it's way to point 5 and back again.

The challenge of this track is to cross a river of 10 meters wide and 1.5 meters deep twice, climb uphill and break into the brick cube (that contains no door, it's literally 4 walls of 1 brick thickness, and a concrete top of similar thickness) to gather at least 3 eggs that are inside, which it has to return intact to the finish. On the way, a team of 4 people have to steer it and operate it (and where needed, help it a bit).

Name:  Scrapheap Track small.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  435.4 KB

That's about all the information you need I think. Feel free to ask questions, I'll be around to answer them. This round is kind of an experiment, but I thought it might be fun

Brief:
    1. Design and draw your scrapheap monster!
    2. Read the description above!
    3. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Sunday, March 15

Name:  IDW logo3 smallest.JPG
Views: 1400
Size:  7.9 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; March 8th, 2009 at 11:00 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaaawesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is the machine supposed to gather the eggs or do the people place them in the machine?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bara: Ideally, it can pick the eggs up by itself. There's a lot of leeway there though, since also in the tv show often things break or do not work as intended, so the help of a human hand is often allowed as long as it's not done too often

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    killer topic

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wouldn't the eggs break from the brick walls and concrete ceiling falling on them? Does the machine have to incorporate being able to protect the eggs from such damage or remove the walls in a safe way? Am I looking too much into this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TMG: Exactly The eggs need to arrive in one piece at the finish, so breaking into the brick cube has to be done carefully!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm... I'll try and see how far I can make it :3

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My Theory is A giant wrench to crush the walls of the cube like a pincer, crumble a small section, and then either use the giant wrench to pick up the eggs, or some sort of vaccumm to pull it through the hole created by the wrench one at a time, as I think an egg is larger than most vaccuums tube thingies, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get across the river and up and down the hills.(just brainstorming)
    BTW, does anyone have any tips for searching for reference images, or how to go about doing so ?
    Also, Yoitisi , is it ok if someone uses pictures of junk/stuff from their parents garage ? such as Old bicycles, lawns mower, Bird feeder, etc. I suspect there are few garages out their a bit like a junk yard/scrap heap if only unorganized.
    I'm guessing from your example it doesn't necessarily have to be junk as reference, is that right ?
    Also, for those that may not have tried it yet, there's alot of images of Scrapheap Robots, Scrapheap Machines , Junk Machines, and Junk Robots on the internet.
    ~Mr_S_14

Last edited by Mr_S_14; March 11th, 2009 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr_S_14: Yep making your own photo reference is totally allowed, just make sure you note that in the finals thread so you don't have to link anywhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sounds cool!

Been a while for me...

- My Artwork! -
    www.miguellleras.com

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome topic. Yoitisi, you are a god. I can't do anything for it but I'll be watching.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    are there any size restrictions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SoloDolo: Size restrictions for the machine? Only the one I mentioned before, you only have so much one can construct in 10 hours time, so don't go too far overboard I say. Other than that, it's up to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm interesting to design some of my drones

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LoL... I'm coming up with some crazy designs for this lol. Do you mind if there are like 'failed attempt' shots in our final?

Like I'm thinking about doing a sort of scrapbook approach to the final shot.
    With a couple different versions that they tried but failed horribly, along with the final one that actually worked. You said ten hours, which isn't alot of time, but I figure that it wouldn't take terribly long to make the one that I'm designing

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matte_Art: Sounds awesome to me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is the brick cube constructed with mortar?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kenjitsu: Yes, but it's the cheap kind and the brick cube is made recently so the mortar hasn't had time to set properly yet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome, makes all the difference... *scraping design*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now this might be a dumb question, but are we to assume that we get all the proper tools (welders, epoxy, drills, etc)?

LoL this one is gonna be funny...

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    won't make it to this round.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man yoitisi this is an AWESOME one. It's gonna be tight for me to try to make it to poll, but I REALLY wanna do this one. (No chance of an extention right?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matte_Art: Yep...

ijacobs9: So far I'd like to keep the deadline as is yes. I'll take another look at it on sunday.

I'd love to see some art in here by the way. Where are all the WIPs and stuff?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm after some discussion on IRC I think I might have to give some more explanation to this round. The absolute main goal of this round was to let everyone have some fun with a less serious round. Don't over-think your concept too much, it's supposed to be a bit wobbly and fiddly.

Some tips that might help (bearing in mind there's only about two/three days to go...):

1. Instead of trying to figure out how exactly it's going to perform it's tasks, then find the images for it and then try to fit it all together, go on an image search at once and see what turns up.

2. Think simple. Why not have a machine that only takes a large step from one hilltop to the other, picks up the cube with eggs and all, and drops it back on the finish? It doesn't have to be much more than that

3: The machines are supposed to be made from spare parts, so using a laser unit you find on the internet is totally fine, just imagine it'd have to be connected and powered up in some dodgy way. The 10 hr rule is only there so people don't make slick and streamlined vehicles, since that's not really possible to fix in such short a time. Doesn't mean you can't have awesome spare parts on it that have already been assembled, used and scrapped already.

Uhm yeh hope that helps some people to come up with ideas easier. Again, don't over-think it too much, have as much fun as you can

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to be posting my WIP very shortly. Just gotta get the scanner going again.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    about as far as im going to take it

revenebo is offline orchitect and designerd
    Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My reference images (in case of a deadline extension...):

Still don't know what to do with them though...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is so rediculously random that it just MIGHT work

Anyway... here it is: Didn't get past the sketch level, but this is as far as I'll be able to go with it. School starting tomorrow and I need to work on projects; I'll still try to squeeze some of these in though...

===============

Okay, here's how it works:

1) Hollow out a bumble ball.
    2) Put a car battery inside of it and proceed to drill out the 'spines'.
    3) Place springs inside these that connect near the core (see diagram).
    4) Spray all springs with Non-conductive, acrylic spray paint (makes them both waterproof and conductive).
    5) Split the wires on car battery jumper cables and attach split ends to the springs thus making electricity travel the springs.
    6) Caulk all sealings between the inner core and outer shell, taking great care to keep the connection between the outside and inside with a small tunnel (see diagram).
    7) Shove as much matress padding as you can into this hole, thus making a sort of 'soft pocket'.
    8) Screw spine back in place.
    9) Fill the 'outer shell' with water to make the inner core gyro stabilized.
    10) Hit the electricity, via remote, and watch it bounce like hell!

Travel the track, see diagrams.

Hopefully you guys enjoyed the demonstration.
    <team takes bows, congratulatory speeches abound, har har hars>

==============

Hope you enjoyed that rough explanation. Crits,comments, etc...?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matte_Art: Cool start

Well that's a bit of a bummer...another round with no entries in the finals thread I'm not really into extending this round too long either, seeing as that a weeks time only turned up 2 or 3 WIP's so far. I have to work today so I won't get around to putting up the new round or the poll (?) for this round for a bit, so if there's people out there still thinking of finishing anything, post them soon please!

By the way, for all those of you interested I'm thinking of starting my mentoring thread (link in my sig) again...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.