Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

The Art Institutes?

Hi everyone, I'm a High School Junior looking to go into either Concept Art or Illustration. For some time I've had my eye on Ringling, SCAD, or LCAD.

However, given the economic situation, which I doubt is going to get much better soon, I'm beginning to look more into the Art Institutes. There are four of them in the state I live in (Texas), and though I'd like to go out of state, the AIs are way more affordable than the out-of-state schools I've been looking at.

The only thing is, I've been slightly suspicious of the Art Institutes for some reason. I don't know why exactly, it's not as if I've heard anything bad about them. But I haven't really heard anything good about them either. Really, other than their own ads I haven't actually heard much of them at all. I've read the Reality of Going to Art School thread, so I guess it doesn't really matter all that much that AI is small and cheap as long as I work hard, right?

Even so, does anybody have any experience with the Institutes in Texas? Can anyone tell me anything about the Institutes in general? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Even so, does anybody have any experience with the Institutes in Texas? Can anyone tell me anything about the Institutes in general? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hello, I have not personally had any experience with the arts institutes but I know someone that has graduated from AI Fort Lauterdale. When I asked him about the teachers he said some of them basically say here's and assignment and leave you on your own to do it. Instead, he recommended Ringling to me. From looking at work from students online, you can see the contrasting quality. During my college search I found this site called http://studentsreview.com . Look at what the reviews say.

For illustration/concept art, Laguna College seems like a great choice because they have great student work and they also have hybrid programs. Not to also mention they are 20k/year. They also give scholarships for great portfolios, which make it a lot cheaper.

http://kedrewdraws.blogspot.com

My Adventures at Ringling ^

Thanks
    Thanks, Kedrew.

Well from what I can tell, most of the reviews of the Art Institutes of Dallas and Houston seem pretty negative...:/

Laguna College looks more and more appealing the more I read about it, but the fact that they have no on-campus housing is kind of a drawback. (That and California's living expenses scare me...)

Thanks
    I go to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, online. It's great, IF...and that's a big IF...you are self motivated. The classes are not easy. In fact, I think my classes at SDSU during the 90s were easier than these are. But, they will allow the tools to learn. But, they are not going to sit on you and force you to learn them. The school, teachers, and admins that I have had contact with are as helpful as you will allow them to be.

In short, it's a great school, as long as you put in the time to do college correctly.

Thanks
    Keep looking into Laguna College of Art & Design. Housing arrangements can be as expensive or as cheap as you want. Lots of students love sharing apartments. The faculty is great. Students get a lot of good personal attention. The people care about you -- I can attest to that. Tuition is less expensive than the other California art colleges. Southern California is a great place to be. Wherever you go, I would avoid any of the art institutes. They are for profit, meaning they have care heavily about their profit for the owners. In general, you will get a better education and usually more career opportunities at an accredited art college.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxster View Post
    Keep looking into Laguna College of Art & Design. Housing arrangements can be as expensive or as cheap as you want. Lots of students love sharing apartments. The faculty is great. Students get a lot of good personal attention. The people care about you -- I can attest to that. Tuition is less expensive than the other California art colleges. Southern California is a great place to be. Wherever you go, I would avoid any of the art institutes. They are for profit, meaning they have care heavily about their profit for the owners. In general, you will get a better education and usually more career opportunities at an accredited art college.

I have yet to find a private school that is not in the business of making money for it's investors, including Laguna. The only schools that aren't in it for the money are state run schools.

As for accreditation, the Art Institute IS accreditted. So, please...get your facts straight.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwolf29a View Post
    As for accreditation, the Art Institute IS accreditted. So, please...get your facts straight.
    Depends... Some of the Art Institutes weren't accredited at certain times, and sometimes "accredited" is just tossed around without understanding what it means. There are different agencies acknowledge it. You need to know which councils or agencies recognize it.

Also, for the OP: Why not read this thread ... http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=102315

Thanks
    Hey Incendia,

I'm on the same boat as you concerning the AI. I personally haven't heard anything good or bad about the school but it just seems out of place for some reason. It might be because they're popping out of the ground across the nation like crazy! I 'unno...

I have found a school that looks very promising in the state of Texas, and no matter where you are it's relatively close to where ever you may be in Texas:

http://www.geminischool.com/html/index.asp

I've visited the school twice and am just all out impressed and in love with the work that is produced and the teachers who minister to their students. I suggest scheduling a visit whenever you find the time available.

OH! And for the first time EVER they are having a summer workshop! I've signed myself up for the Creature Creation workshop and I wish I could get into the Coral Painter one, but it happens well into the beginning of marching season and I cannot miss any of the marching camp.

I hope this information is helpful!!

-Wiggs

PS I'm a Junior too!!

Thanks
    They came to my school for the 2947823948th time to do a presentation in class, from what i gather, their credits are only trasnferrable WITHIN the other AI institutes, little to no other places recgonize their credits and courses. The tuition is also super expensive, and although it does guarantee you a job out of it, a lot of people don't take the AI too seriously. Alot of the people i talked to up north here frown at it and my own art teacher told me she'd be very dissapointed in me if i chose to go to such a place xD. From what i gathered its a money grabber, more so than more colleges. Now, i'm not saying that its not a good place to learn because i see alot of stuff that people have done from that school thats good but...i personally would never recommend it to any of my friends as my 1st 2nd or 3rd choice.

Has anyone else noticed how they suddenly appeared everhwere like a mass corperation across north america?

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
    Well, a friend of mine is going to the Art Institute of Dallas, and from what she tells me they seem pretty lax about things...maybe it would be better just to focus on other schools.

Oh and Wiggles--Gemini School's actually pretty close to where I live; I signed up for their summer workshops too! (the Concept Art one) :]

Thanks
    Sweets!! I'll see you at the workshop in a few months then, Incendia!

-Wiggs

PS Gemini is really close to where I live as well. And if your budget allows, I would TOTALLY go to the Coral Painter workshop. They're having a someone really incredible (as if the people there we're incredible enough ) leading the workshop, or from what I've heard.

Thanks
    The Art Institutes have always seemed sketchy to me, as well, though before I really knew anything about art schools, this was because it was a chain art school, which struck me as really... "commercial", I guess, for lack of a better term.

Now that I know a little more about art schools, the reason I am wary of them is because none of them (sans one) are part of AICAD.

http://www.aicad.org/
    Quote Originally Posted by from AICAD.org
    Our member schools are all accredited by their respective regional accrediting associations (the agencies that accredit general colleges in the U.S.) and also by the nationwide agency covering all art and design programs - the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). These three elements - art and design specialization, BFA and/or MFA degree granting, and dual accreditation - are required before an art school may become a member of AICAD.
    (Although to be fair, I know SCAD isn't AICAD either, but SCAD has attained a reputation by its own merit for being a good school, whereas like you, I've never really heard anyone say anything good about the AIs.)

As for why the Art Institute of Boston is part of AICAD, I think this is because it was absorbed by Lesley University, helping to lend to its credibility, but this is really just a guess on my part (if anyone knows better, please feel free to correct me).

I actually have a friend who goes to AIB and he hates it. He says once you are in, it's kinda common knowledge that the Art Institutes are regarded as somewhat of a joke among art schools (even if AIB is the only AICAD one). Even if it wasn't, he doesn't feel like the school is challenging him at all or providing him with anything he feels he needs for the future, whether it be connections, experience, or skills. He's looking to transfer to UMass Dartmouth as soon as possible.

Thanks
    If you want concept art I would recommend another college, at least for a year or two. Concept art emphasizes lots and lots of liberal arts and those courses will be a lot more intense at another college, giving you a much better place to start from. Then AI, if you still want to go there, can later prepare you for what it would be like working a real job as a concept artist. Illustration ... definitely another college. I almost decided to study illustration and if I had I would have gone to PNCA, but I saw that the Art Institute, just a few blocks south, was offering an animation degree, and I thought it would be nice to get back into it, so I did some research, and it sounded like a good fit for me (I emphasize me because I think that the school is not a good fit for everyone, so DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST), so I went for that instead.

In my experience it seems that people who already have some industry experience are much more satisfied with AI (maybe because they know what they need and what to ask for, which the school emphasizes constantly, help them to help you). I think that their foundation courses are very weak. For example, at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, our final papers were often 15 pages in length, properly cited. At AI our papers are only 5. Most of my foundations were already covered at other schools so I didn't have to worry about it.

Half of the time the students do not read the syllabus (some people do not even keep theirs ... !!!), and then on the day that something is due they are confused. And I am confused that they're confused, because it was on the syllabus. One class, scriptwriting, the ENTIRE CLASS had not known something was due. Not only was it on the syllabus but the teacher mentioned it a million times. This is another reason why I think having prior college experience before AI is best. I've never experienced that sort of thing at other schools. You gain maturity, being accountable for your education, and a better baseline for gauging what is actually hard. I suppose once you have that you're more willing to go the extra mile to get what you're going there for.

My experience is with the AI of Portland, I can't say that they're all the same. I don't know that it's "common knowledge" that the AIs are a joke. It's a different kind of school, more vocational, and it's just human nature to compare and be competitive, so you definitely will have people at neighboring schools feeling superior, as well as those inside having doubts or also feeling superior themselves. It is not what students at other schools think that matters, it's employers. What decided it for me was the very specialized training for specific software and the portfolio development bit was a bonus, I don't even have a portfolio, I just get jobs word-of-mouth. That was strictly it, and so for me, it is the best school. Two classes of Maya and I have had one job interview and a place I worked for before is going to hire me again because I finally have skills that make me placeable when they prepare for their new project (along with other things I can already do, this just means I can stick around on the project for a lot longer). When I was doing my research, calling studios to ask them about what they thought of the portfolios of students coming from AI, they said the portfolios were good, but the major reason for not hiring them would often be ego. I don't know who I would pin that fault on; the school or the student.

Last edited by Aaaamory; April 10th, 2009 at 04:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.