Forest - WIP

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Forest - WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Forest - WIP

Hi everyone!
    Not so long ago I posted a drawing in this forums and after one really good critique I received I decided to try again and draw another picture but keeping the same concept as the original.
    I tried to keep the background "simple" so most of the trees shown will be covered in shadows, because I try to focus mainly on the character.

The first image attached is a little thumbnail I did trying to get the colors right (This is the first time I do a thumbnail for colors so I don't know if I should detail this more or leave as it is)

The second image is the original sketch of the background so you can see the details better. (I'm still not to sure if I should do those butterfly things I drew or not)

And the final image is the character itself =) I loosely based his pose of an image I found at posemaniacs. (What is in between is wings is his cape)

Any critique or suggestion will be very appreciated =)

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Altiv; April 4th, 2009 at 12:10 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Minor issue, but you have a tangent that makes it look like his right leg is going through his left. The structure of the feet in general is a little vague to my eye.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are actually quite a few coinciding lines, I think... that is part of what is making his structure confusing to me as well. When drawing things in front of other things (his arms, legs, etc), it helps to make one thing not just a little bit in front, but -definitely- overlapped, and to make the lines of each not at angles too similar to one another. If the angles of the leg is at about the same angle as the angle of the hand, and they both end really close to one another, it ends up looking like one continuous line, and one object, rather than two seperate ones.

Just rough but....
    First pic: trying to illustrate the coinciding lines.
    Second pic: Due to more exaggerated overlap, the relative location each body part is clearer, more defined.

Forest - WIP

On another note, your light and dark values are distributed fairly evenly around the whole piece. Its ok, getting this right can be very hard in a forest scene. To help, you may want to choose either the light or the shadows to be more dominant. If theyre about equal, you lose your focal point through lack of contrast.

You have very nice linework, and I love the relaxed, contemplative expression on his face. Its very convincing. ^_^

Last edited by Shadeykris; March 7th, 2009 at 10:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you both for you comments =) I really appreciate it.
    As for the image, the pose I referenced had the right foot in front of the left and I tried to "copy" that, but, if it looks weird or confusing, I'll change it

And Shadeykris, thank you for your advice on his pose, I'm going to re draw some parts and change some angles =) As for the forest, the final version will have more dark tones in the right side than in the thumbnail, I'm also glad you liked his expression =) I tried to give him a calm look, as if he were on his favorite place =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm so sorry for neglecting this >.> But University started a couple of days ago and I started a sculpture project I had, so I didn't have time for painting this one. As I finally finished my sculpture I had time to advance some more and finished the base colors, this will be basically the color scheme I'll be using, so I want to know what do you think about it, does it look good? or maybe it's too dark?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Consider using the light to direct the flow of the image. Rough, but my thoughts:

Forest - WIP

Consider also maybe working some of the yellow/greens into the figure itself, and some of his colors into the background. Right now they feel kind of seperate. Maybe use some blues in the shadows? Black as a shadow color can feel unnatural sometimes, and a forest will not usually be entirely composed as more/less black shades of a single green.

There is something weird about the perspective with the backwing... It feels like we are looking down on it from above, but the rest of the figure feels more like a lower camera angle, while the background could kind of go either way...

Oh, what else...: Atmospheric perspective. The further away something is, the less saturated it becomes. Mountains fade from a crisp color, to a fadey blue, etc.

Just my thoughts~ Hope its helpful.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadeykris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much Shadeykris, the image looks so much better now! The light now seems a lot better =)
    I'm going to work some more on the greens and add some blue, having so much green on the background was bothering me a little.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And some more updates on this pic =)

As you can see I already started working on the character, I'm trying to work on all my drawing instead of completing one side and then move to another.
    The ray of light will be added when I'm done with the background =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And some more work on the drawing. The grass is done and I still need to finish the right section and the character =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wonder if it's just me but my eye gets drawn strongly to the left side of this picture. Which in itself isn't very interesting and the focus should probably be on the character. I dont know why i'm drawn to the area exactly though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I have the same trouble as Medice. I notice there's a nice clear path in that direction, leading away from the middle of the image, and the trees lean in more or less the same direction, leading the eye away and out. The fact that the lightest part of the image is in front of the character, at the beginning of that path, doesn't really help matters. There's very little that brings the eye to the character.

Now that I look closer, there's something about his cloak that looks like an obstruction to the eye, rather than a part of him. I wonder if it doesn't come up a bit too high, maybe?

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you both for your comments =)

As for the left side, I'm going to darken it a little to avoid distractions from the character and add some trees or something like that.
    As for the character, Nezumi, he doesn't have any cloak, but instead, that it's his wing, but I'll try to lower it a bit =)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.