bland imagery.
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: bland imagery.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

bland imagery.

The first picture (it's human, but wearing a crow-like skull/feather costume) I'm pleased with, but I'm putting it up for critique... what else would push this into "completed work" territory? It started as B/W using low flow hard round brushes, with a layer at the end for a bit of color.

The second pic, though, was a quick work that seemed cool for a few seconds... but thoroughly bores me now. This also applies to the first: How do you make an image really stand out? Where do I take these?

Many thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You take these to anatomy and figure studies!

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first image needs more work on shading, it looks flat. Just look at it's arms, they look like they were more carved in stone than anything else, don't just add a lot white in one line and black in another one. Thing in shapes like cilinders and spheres for the shading. Also do you know how does it's body look? where are the arms placed under the costume? Even if you are not showing that you need to think in it.
    Images with high contrast or with shading of different colors can stand out well.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,366 Times in 3,589 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    With the first you have used black and white; once you introduce colour, B&W should be avoided as it flattens the picture. On the second your darks are not dark enough and you’ve used white for the highlights. Think of highlights as either warm or cool, a very faint blue or green would snap the second picture just that bit more. You might want to pay attention to the anatomy of the arm above the elbow as I’ve never seen a bulge like that.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.