How to select everything in a layer as one
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: How to select everything in a layer as one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How to select everything in a layer as one

Hi,

Is there a way to set a new layer so that you can paint on it and it will not paint outside the object in the layer? In my case, a building. I want an effect like the selection tool, but one that will select everything in the layer. I want to select the building as a whole, like a cut out piece of paper so I can use a glow brush to add sunlight to it, and the selection tool only would be a nightmare.

Sorry if this is a nooby question

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gadbury View Post
    Hi,

Is there a way to set a new layer so that you can paint on it and it will not paint outside the object in the layer? In my case, a building. I want an effect like the selection tool, but one that will select everything in the layer. I want to select the building as a whole, like a cut out piece of paper so I can use a glow brush to add sunlight to it, and the selection tool only would be a nightmare.

Sorry if this is a nooby question
    I'm not really sure what you mean... there's a couple of things you could try:

* If the building is on a layer of it's own, then click the lock transparency button on the layers palette... that way you will only be able to paint where there is already pixel information.

* or.... if the building is on a layer of it's own... hold down CTRL+click on the layer to create a selection based on the layer. With that you could then create a new layer to add the glow effect to (hiding the selection edges if they bother you)

Other than that, show us an example of what you mean... with your layer setup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't you leave a selection on a modification layer. That way you spend time only making a selection once, and whenever you want to work on something there you go back to the selection layer or modification layer and add to it.

Not sure but they showed off with the idea in CS4, to push non destructive habits.

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.