Help with a problem?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help with a problem?

Hi, i was just working on a concept for an assassin and by accident i merged the white background layer with the shading and colored layer.
    I didnt notice this before it was too late and unfortunantly i dont have a backup.
    So now its kinda hard to color :/

The question is, is it possible to separate the shading and coloring from the white background?
    The only possible way i can think of is using magic select tool, but theres still some white spots following the layer.

Btw would i would appreciate if someone could reply fast.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think there are some plugins that might help.

You want something to asume that you want to replace all color components where R, G & B values are the same to replaced with tranceparency or opacy so you end up seeing whatever was left of any color over and above their values where their R,G and B was not equal. You will then have to reshade stuff that are to light or to dark.

I think that would be a cool plugin. Hehehehe!!! Either that or a tool that can replace a color level or something with opacy.

There must be a way but I can't think of any that would not be destructive or imperfect.

Create a new copy of the layer and name it foreground
    Run the erasor over your background or make it all white or whatever you need it to be.
    Then pick on with the magic erasor on your top layer, the prob is it won't eraze fuzzy edges or it will but it won't be able to make those have a transparent component again, you can add a little opacy to the layer if you want, or continue with your art on a new layer, when you have moved past the need for that layer just delete it.

Last edited by George Abraham; March 9th, 2009 at 03:27 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to George Abraham For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNoodle View Post
    Hi, i was just working on a concept for an assassin and by accident i merged the white background layer with the shading and colored layer.
    I didnt notice this before it was too late and unfortunantly i dont have a backup.
    So now its kinda hard to color :/

The question is, is it possible to separate the shading and coloring from the white background?
    The only possible way i can think of is using magic select tool, but theres still some white spots following the layer.

Btw would i would appreciate if someone could reply fast.

There's a reasonably easy way to seperate the black from the white and colour... and then you could start colouring again.

1) Flatten what you have.
    2) Convert to CMYK
    3) Go to the channels palette and CTRL click on the Black (K) channel to make a selection
    4) Invert the selection CTRL+SHIFT+I
    5) Create a new layer and after switching your colours to default (D) fill the selection with black (ALT+backspace)
    6) Deselect and hide your original flattened layer.
    7) You should now have a layer that's just composed of the black lineart from the image - and you can now create new colour layers/BG layers beneath it.

Oh... and don't forget to switch back to RGB.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnMalcolm1970 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops... just noticed I mis-read your problem. The solution I posted will however allow you to salvage your back shading or cross-hatching though... as for the flat areas of colour... they would be trickier... but they seem simple enough just to redo. Just be sure to work on a copy of your document and when you've got the cross-hatching/shading on it's own layer you can bring it back into the original.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnMalcolm1970 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    two ways for you
    1:
    select your layer- copy and paste it- set it to multiply- set the previous layer to your background color

2:
    navigate to select>color range- then pick the white color and select ok

then navigate to select> inverse-

then cut and paste --

------------------------
    both of these should get you where you need to go

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thx for responding, i dont really got time to read it all now, but i'll check it out tomorrow.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.