Warhammer inspired piece
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Warhammer inspired piece

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Warhammer inspired piece

Blarg, I'm losing objectivity here. Need some assistance from you fine people. I wanna make the point that this is Warhammer INSPIRED, I am by no means being real true to the source material. But I enjoy the look of the marauders and wanted to do a piece based on their designs.

This piece is all but finished, the weapon however does need love... and a design... otherwise, criticize the rest of the piece as if it were final. I'm very sleepy now, gotta nap. Thanks to anyone who can take some time to assist

Oh and I did post an early version of this ages ago. I opened it back up recently and decided to try and finish it off.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DanJohnCox For This Useful Post:

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is the yellow supposed to be gold? If it is than I'd rework it completely if its supposed to be yellow I'd add colder shadows and such and some reflecting colours, too. The marauder is very colourful, the background not. I'd tone the difference down a bit.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the over all piece is very cool, but some minor tweeks could have made it better. Janos is right about the yellow color. Its a little weird. And so is his massive arm. Its positioned awkwardly and is so large it boarders on distracting. I like just about everything else. The trees in the foreground look good.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    sik dude, i agree with the others. the gold is hard
    to get to look right in certain lighting situations.
    it reflects light differently than other materials.
    check out reference photos or render out a piece
    of gold in one of your 3d programs.

this is a hard angle to draw a character, and you've
    done great!! i like the colors too. ;]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much folks, you were totally right, I've adjusted the metal colour. I think I'll need to tweak its shading though as its not coming off at metal properly just yet. its needs to have less diffuse shading and more clear spec. I'll also be making some anatomy changes to the arms and adding blood to the weapon. (yeah... for some reason i didnt do that yet)

Update!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DanJohnCox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good.

It might be a bit late in the game to bring this up, but I can't tell from looking at the picture whether the guy's right arm is enormous or if it's the fish-eye perspective. If it's the perspective, you might want to make that clearer, for example, by making the background trees a lot smaller.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im glad it looks like you added a dead body. And it is definitely looking better overall.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    does look better.
    moar blood! i can't stress this enough. hehe [kidding]

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The texture helps a lot - makes the piece feel less "digital" in a good way. I would have liked to have seen some more time invested in the environment, however. It looks good, but compared to the more rendered look of the character, there are areas in the background that I feel look too impressionistic, especially the upper region. I realize the piece is about the character, but by investing in some more detail in the background, you can help your environment support your character even more. Pretty much the areas where it ends up looking like scribbles are the real problem areas, I think.

Nice figure in perspective. I like his freakishly large arm, but that much mass would probably affect his center of gravity.

Pretty nice all in all. Now I think you should do something less inspired by an existing IP and do something more of your own.

Last edited by MT-Mystic; March 10th, 2009 at 09:10 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MT-Mystic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you've got a very inspired design going on here, the armor elements are pretty cool.
    onto the crits though
    1. i think your choice of perspective is a bit problematic, your horizon line is so high in the PP that its starting to distort the image in the foreground. i ran into this problem in an image i was working on myself recently, its tough to get a sense of depth. if you're going to stick with this perspective, maybe adding in some dead bodies in the middleground would help establish a size relationship in the picture, because right now i don't really have anything to relate this guy to size wise, and my first thoughts upon inspecting the image were "how big is this guy? is he a dwarf? is he some kind of giant?"
    2. the right arm ( i think this may've been addressed already?) my main crit is on the arm length, if you swung that arm foreward, his hand'd be about to his knee, instead of mid thigh. also, the hand isn't very distinguishable i'd thicken it up a bit and make it more evident that its wrapping around the mace instead of tapering to the width of the handle.
    3. the face mask is a bit ambiguous in terms of where what features are located, and the beard kinda makes me question the race, the green skin makes me think ogre or orc, but the beard makes me think dwarf this also kinda ties in with the perspective issue above.
    4. a cast shadow would be helpful in identifying the ground plane in the foreground and also suggesting that left leg behind the big arm would be a help, right now its just kinda not there.

i think this's shaping up to be a sweet image and hopefully these crits'll help you out in your progress. best, and i look foreward to the next iteration,

RM

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Movenski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanna thank all you guys so much for the feedback! super super invaluable stuff. I've tried to make some of the changes but at this point I need to move on for awhile. I've got all your critiques on a list though, so at some point when/if I come back to this piece again, I'll be fixing those issues.

So here's the final as it's gonna stand for now. Time for this piece since the last update has been limited and changes may seem pretty minimal but hopefully its an improvement of some sort. Thanks SO much again folks, I couldn't have asked for better feedback. And just for fun, I've added a really old version of the image way from way back before I revisited it. I do still wish I managed to stick with the old color palette I must say, but cest la vie. Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi dude, lol, this is probebly gonna hurt ur feelings some, but personaly i think the first "real old" version is the best one, the rendering is looking really nice and you got the shape and form covered up real nicely, the level of detail is good to, im sorry but my personal opinion is that you ruined the image with all the sharpening filters and textures. when putting random detail and texture everywhere, you loose the viewers eye.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, is the big arm made of cotton balls? if not how can he walk so straight not even noticing this HUUUGe chunk of beat and bone that looks like it makes up at least 30 percent of his bodyweight?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.