Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Red face It's Splat-tastic!

Tastes like crunchy bacon with peanut butter & jelly!

Rick Taylor versus West Mansion

"She doesn't have to die Rick,
    We can save her.
    Go back to the house.

You need me..."

I've been on a huge Splatterhouse kick as of late (partly fueled by the upcoming reboot/pseudo sequel dealy, but mostly fueled by how I appreciate the series within the confines of my own skull).

So, this is basically a nostalgic tribute, and a reimagining of sorts!

I tried to combine all the different looks the Terror Mask has had over the series' many incarnations & ports (save for the red mask) as much as possible into one basic design.

Blah blah blah.

All done in photoshop, late nights and afternoon art fests to the soothing sounds of horror movie scores (for just the right ambience, right?).

Mmm... boreworms!
    thedarkcloak website & gallery
    The ZOMBIE ZODIAC!
    My DA page

My Conceptarts.org work thread - needs updating soon!

And remember kids! I am not flesh, nor stone or smoke... I am as I am, I am thedarkcloak. BREAK YO SELF, FOO!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    That is crazy. I...
    Wait, is that some kind of phallic chest burster coming out of the demon on the right : O

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 473 Posts
    Love the shininess and overall designs of the creatures. I think the weakest part is the Jason-guy (I'm familiar with Splatterhouse, but I don't know his name...I wasn't a big Turbographix 16 guy back in the day...BUT I am a huge horror fan).

There's some stuff going on with his right leg/foot that looks off and you could have been a bit clearer with the action. For example, he's holding onto the tongue, but with the stretches on the creatures jaw, it looks like he should have both hands on each side of the mouth and splitting it in half. It doesn't look like he'd be able to rip the jaw apart by holding one half of the head and then yanking on the tongue, if you get my point.

Other than some of those misteps on the movement and action of the piece, it's really nice, though. I'd only recommend in the future nailing down the sketch/drawing 100% and get feedback on it before starting painting...because I think a few changes here and there would have drastically improved the piece, but by now would probably be pretty significant changes and would require probably more time than you would want to put into it.

Great job!

-D

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
    That is crazy. I...
    Wait, is that some kind of phallic chest burster coming out of the demon on the right : O
    LOL... coooould be

Splatterhouse was so full of stuff like that (including other kinds of body bits - with teeth!), and that kinda shaped that way as I was sketching this - So, I figures, hey why the hell not, and then ran with it and left it like that.
    The ZOMBIE ZODIAC!
    My DA page

And remember kids! I am not flesh, nor stone or smoke... I am as I am, I am thedarkcloak. BREAK YO SELF, FOO!

Thanks

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    -D
    Hey Dusty, thanks for the in depth feedback.

Glad you like the shiny wet gooey gobs strewn about! It was lots of fiddly detail work, but it seems to have paid off.

Oh, yeah his name is Rick Taylor But the game obviously takes inspiration from the Friday flicks, Evil Dead/ AoD as well as a slew of other horror flicks from the day.

Yeah, I think I will start posting WIP's & sketches more in here, as I simply do not make myself do that often enough! And I want to be the best I can possibly be with my work!!!

About his leg, on one hand I was ok with it (because he had weird stumpy legs in the old video game, so found it a bit suiting, kinda an in joke... FAIL!) - but on the other hand (the one that counts now!) I completely agree with you. Though, as you've said, by the time I got to that, it would've been a heckuva rework to fix that part. I suppose I could always just obscure his foot and lengthen his leg a bit, hiding it behind the monster's chest? I still have a couple of layered versions of the working file... I'll check it out and see if it'd be worth picking that part up again some.

The other idea, if I had thought of it at the time, would've been to draw that right foot inside the monster's jaw, as if he's pushing with his leg on the bottom jaw, pushing with his left arm on the top jaw, and proceeding with the tongue ripping splattery action. Hmmm...

Should I put up some detail shots of this thing? and if so... of what areas?

Thanks again, man!
    The ZOMBIE ZODIAC!
    My DA page

Thanks

harpoon idea

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    What Dusty said... -D
    OH! hmmm... looking at it some more, would it work if I brought his knee up some, to lengthen his leg that way... and to address the issue with the jaw and movement there: Perhaps, I could have a harpoon jutting down through it's lower jaw, down into it's chest, pinning it down that way? (especially since the harpoon was a weapon in the games, would make sense! )

What do you guys think?
    The ZOMBIE ZODIAC!
    My DA page

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 473 Posts
    Bringing the knee up probably would help a little bit, I agree. There might be some positioning issues with it, though (i.e. "Is my knee in my armpit?"), but check it out and see how it goes.

You *could* always stick another monster over the foot...but I always call that the "Liefeld Fix". You don't get better at drawing feet by constantly covering them up, you know? BUT...for a short fix it would improve the look of this painting, in my opinion.

The harpoon idea isn't too bad, either. It'd be a little silly because there would be the harpoon, then the cleaver, then the action going on with the mouth...BUT it's a "silly" piece in the sense that it's schlock-horror, so I don't think it would take away from it. What would require the most work to change would be the best idea, though, and that is putting the right foot in his mouth like he's stomping it down (you could elongate the monster's jaw to make that easier, too) and using his other arm to rip it in half. The idea of it sounds way more brutal too...like he's really getting in there. All good ideas...it's just how much more work you wanna put into it. I know how it feels to finish something and be like "YEAH! I'm so done with you!" and then you bring it to the boards and you see it in a whole new light. It's the beauty of this place, for sure, but sometimes you just end up "keeping it all in mind for the next piece"....

Up to you! If you don't change a thing, I still think it's a good painting...but there is plenty of room for improvement, too.

-D

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice pic. Just feel the background it way to detailed. Color is great!
    '' After working on SIN CITY and 300, I wanted to experiment on my own filmmaking''

R.
    http://www.rambangbang.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    I agree with dusty that "Jason" is the weakest part of the picture. Otherwise crazy and hilarious

Thanks
    Absolutely grotesque, but humourous and inventive. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rambangbang View Post
    Nice pic. Just feel the background it way to detailed. Color is great!
    Thanks! Hmm, I'll think about that for a bit.
    The ZOMBIE ZODIAC!
    My DA page

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cbiscuit View Post
    I agree with dusty that "Jason" is the weakest part of the picture. Otherwise crazy and hilarious
    Yeah, I'm working on fixing the flow of the action, stay tuned!

Oh, and how do you find it hilarious? (just curious, different people find different things about it, so I find it interesting to see what people's takes on it are )

HOORAY FOR HORROR SCHLOCK ACTION! or something
    The ZOMBIE ZODIAC!
    My DA page

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Orange View Post
    Absolutely grotesque, but humourous and inventive. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks, Big Orange!

Out of curiosity (because different folks seem to react to different parts) what bits do you find humorous?
    The ZOMBIE ZODIAC!
    My DA page

Thanks

Talking Ok, working on a fix, but a little help!!!

Dusty, thanks again for all the insightful comments about the leg and action.

I decided not to go with the Harpoon, afterall. I roughed it in and it was just way too much and looked as if Rick was going to take an eye out with it at any moment!

However, I spent some time messing around with loose figures and 'skeletons' over the drawing, trying to figure out the best way to address the leg/ foot/ jaw issue. I've attached a couple of possibles, but I still need some help salvaging that area. I think putting in the extra effort might be worthwhile afterall... at least it's showing some promise, anyhow.

Also, how else do you think 'Rick' could be made a lil stronger? Do you think the pose and action issue will suffice?

Feel free to scribble over my screenshots, anything will help at this point.

Oh and, lol - and I'm actually trying to avoid the 'Liefeld Fix' as much as possible!

I think I'm leaning towards the one with his knee down, but the drawback to that one is, now it almost seems like he's nearly straddling the monster's lower jaw!!!

Look forward to any ideas and input!
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by thedarkcloak; March 7th, 2009 at 01:07 AM. Reason: BIG typo
    The ZOMBIE ZODIAC!
    My DA page

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Yeah, the fixes are much better.

Nice penis monsters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast