oink oink!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: oink oink!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

oink oink!

Here is something I am doing for a client (my first). I was left very open on it, but it just had to do something with the University of Arkansas/razorback of some sort.

The compositional aspect I don't know if this works by having the hog in the middle or even the color pallet. Obviously I know the colors of the razorback will change I was just keeping it close to the reference as I was painting it. And the building is supposed to be our famous architectural piece on campus, Old Main.

Any help/suggestions would be great, thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Samuel Gray; March 7th, 2009 at 06:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seems pretty respectful to the original to me (as I see it here : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...dMainUofA.jpg)! The hog is really well painted.
    Concerning the building, the upper part's perspective is good, but the bottom doesn't fit ; you should whether keep the actual angle of the bottom line of the building -but put it 3 or 4 centimeters lower- or keep it at the same height and make it horizontal.
    Bonne continuation! :]

Last edited by Jingo; March 4th, 2009 at 04:59 PM.
    Daily sketch !
    Old sketchbook, with apes and ghost towns.
    Portfolio
    ---
    " Quand un mec raconte une histoire tout en urinant, on appelle ça un récipissé. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I will tell you how I would approach creating this painting as I don't believe what you ahve currently is easy to fix because it seems the initial underlying sketch is flawed.

You may hate me to say this but I'd suggest starting again. But of course you can still keep the boar for later on and also use this current painting as a guide for the new piece.

Ok so here's how I suggest you approach this painting. Or at least how I would do it.

Get some big paper at least A3 size. Lay down your perspective guides. For this piece I'd suggest 3-point perspective becuase it will make the building look great and really give it height and dramatic impact. See http://www.animationbrain.com/three-...rspective.html if you're not quite sure about 3 point. Ok now using the tool of 3-point perspective draw up the building, here I am talking about using a ruler, paper, and a pencil. Ok sketch up the building to the best of your ability keeping the lines clean, clear and in proper perspective.
    Once you ahve a detailed drawing of the building you might like to punch up the lines with a fineliner (optional).

Ok the hardest part is complete. Now you should have an awesome architectural sketch that you can scan into photoshop. Ok once you ahve scanned in the sketch it is now time to turn it into lineart.
    With the document open after scanning go to Image>mode>greyscale.
    Now go into channels and duplicate the grey channel. Ok now go to Image>mode>RGB. Then go to your channels palette and ctrl-click the grey channel, then press ctrl-shift-I (or go Select>INverse, same thing). make a new layer, have black selected, then press alt delete (option-delete on mac).
    This will fill your selection with the lineart and will be on it's own layer. You can now turn off the scanned sketch in favour of your shiny new lineart.

Next step, colour. Makea new layer that sits under the lineart this will be your colour layer. using the polygonal lasso tool you can select latge areas of the architecture to fill with colour, lay down some darkish midtones. Then on separate layers you can add highlights and shadows where appropriate.

You can grab the razorback from your old image and drop him into this image to top it off.

Although this is probably alot of info to take in, I've tried to be really brief. I hope it helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mawh: I see what you are saying, thank you for the input.

CamSyko: I appreciate the explanation of what you had to say. I never really have used that method although I see it all the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a newer update.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I changed alot on this today. I still need to figure out the ground and maybe even some colors, or let me know what to work on. please, Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would try and tie the painting style of the background, the building, and the pig together more... right now they are all painted in a very distinct and rather different style.

Also - the shadow on the pig does not match the direction of your light source. He also seems to be existing on a completely separate plane compared to the building.

I like the colors. Maybe a bit of pink/purple in the pig as well?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is an update, suggestions?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.