Sketchbook: GalahadEX's Sketchbook

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

GalahadEX's Sketchbook

The ubiquitous introduction: I've been a lurking member of this site for months, and I've decided to step up and just start posting my work.

I'm focusing the majority of my time currently on learning digital painting techniques. These are from the last few days while I still try to get the hang of Painter and working with a stylus. Reference for the ice cave and sunset came from the References and Inspiration > 2008 Environments - Outdoor / Nature sticky.

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome. If there is any interest I'll post some older and traditional work as well.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by galahadex; March 5th, 2009 at 01:07 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brain-dump: some environment studies from a couple of months ago. This is a big area of interest for me and something I'm still exploring actively.

Standard work flow was to do a rough block with a 20% cool-grey prismacolor marker, followed by fine-point sharpie to pull out the lines and detail. Finished with 30%-80% cool-grey value to give a sense of depth and a thicker sharpie to accent the deepest shadows.

I know I need to pick some of my lines more carefully, keep the character silhouettes less rigid, and generally just loosen up.

- Alex

Edit: anyone know how I can change the thumbnail that appears next to my thread title on the main Sketchbook's page? The colored balls aren't really the image I'm trying to convey...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to galahadex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi and welcome to CA
    the environments are already a good start, the style of the sharpie/marker pictures is very cool

The thumbnail will be the first image you have in your attachment, so I suggest to take your pictures from the first to the second post and just leave the image you want

I just took a break to post this.
    But sometimes I also draw stuff

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiera For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some quick character studies in Painter. Again, still trying to get used to the digital workflow. I'll be cranking out as many of these studies as I can along with the environments. I think I need to try to concentrate more on form and shapes, rather than getting in close and noodling away like I would a traditional pen & ink or marker piece.

Portrait is based on Arnold Vosloo from the cover of The Mummy Returns DVD (his nose is too thin, eyes aren't even, and I'm not digging my value placement on his neck), full figures are from random stock art pics I found online a while back.

Last edited by galahadex; March 6th, 2009 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Portrait study in Painter take 2. Ref was from a Battlestar Galactica DVD cover.

I purposely limited my value range to the paper color, one highlight, and the two shadow tones swatched at the bottom of the image. I put the value down with the scratchboard pen and used a water blender to lighten the soft shadow edges. Still not where I'd like it to be, but I think it's good progress from my previous attempt in the last post.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by galahadex; March 8th, 2009 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little stream of consciousness sketching from a few weeks ago...

- Some environment thumbnails in sharpie (bottom left was a study from a Blade Runner screen cap, others were from imagination)

- Architectural studies from an issue of Architectural Digest I had laying around

- Figure studies in ball point and fine tip felt pen from Bridgman, Posemaniacs, and the always easily accessible DVD covers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your environment work. I'm a sucker for environment work. Nice thumbnails.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Raceme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too long since my last post...I feel slack

No new Painter work worth showing, but rather I felt the urge to crank out a finished pen and ink rendering. Inspiration was the first short story in Asimov's Foundation. Some ref used for the curtains and to fix a few quirks on the main figure and the judges robes.

11"x14", .3 pen on bristol board.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those eyes are from a book. I apologize but I've been agonizing over the past few weeks I've seen the eyes posted in a book I had in my life drawing class when I attended school. If you could let me know what the name of that book. I enjoyed the class and remembered that it was an excellent reference. Thanks

demonix

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.