Vasilisa the Beautiful
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Vasilisa the Beautiful

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Vasilisa the Beautiful

Hey y'all. This was my illustration homework for last week. We had to do an illustration for the Russian fairy tale, Vasilisa the Beautiful.

I did this pretty much right after finishing up watching the completely awesome Dan Dos Santos video, so I really tried to imitate his working process. Though I kinda had to make it a little more of an alla prima procedure, since I only had a couple days to paint it. Still, I really felt I learned a lot from the video. The two main things: get reference! It helped when doing that face soooo much. And secondly, do a good drawing before messing with paint. That way I know whether something is going to look alright before I even begin painting. Oh, and one more thing: get the color right. Don't just keep pushing around bad color hoping it'll get good. If you haven't bought the video, do so now.

It's already been turned in for the assignment, so I probably won't work on it any longer, but I'd love some crits on it if you don't mind.

Thanks y'all.

Name:  vasilisa_the_beautiful.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  238.7 KB

Oils on illustration board. 16x20"

EDIT: Oh, and the colors are a little screwy from the original. Not too bad, though. The dark areas look much nicer on the original.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work. The crease between the corner of the mouth and cheek on the far side looks a bit heavy. The far eyebrow doesn't look entirely right either.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dashinvaine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice illu!

regarding the edge treatment on the leftside of her face i made a little overpaint, im not sure which ones better though (your original or the op) so feel free to ignore it .

Attached Images Attached Images  
    newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Bradley View Post
    It's already been turned in for the assignment, so I probably won't work on it any longer,
    That would be a shame, because my only real crit is that it could use another pass to refine some areas and get more variety of stroke and edge treatment.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    dashinvaine: Thanks. Yeah, I think you're right. That mouth was kinda bothering me when I painted it, but I hadn't even noticed the eyebrow. Good catch.

sone_one: Thanks so much for the paintover. Definitely see some things in there that I like. Hmm... Now, which ones to do.

Elwell: Dangit, Elwell. Now I just have to fix it. But you're right, I ran out of time before I finished it as well as I wanted to. Any areas in particular you think I should fix?

Oh, and a general question: one of the crits I got during my class was the dark areas on the bottom right and the top of the piece were too empty for a lot of the people (they wanted to crop it down a bit). What are all of y'all's thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't say the dark, empty areas bother me. They probably should be that dark, and you don't want too much else there to distract from the main subject. If this were a book cover they would also be handy places to put the author's name and the title. Maybe, though, you could reduce the lower space a bit by having some locks of her hair falling into it. Her hair seems a bit of a solid mass at present. I would always be reluctant to crop an actual painting, though you can obviously crop photos of it, and cover some of the original with a mount board if you want to reduce the area displayed at any given time.

I think Sone One's paint over was very good.

Members who have read this thread: 1