Holy $#@%! what happened to the economy?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Holy $#@%! what happened to the economy?

I see alot of threads in the lounge about a variety of interesting topics with night and day opinions on many things but am surprised there isn't one debating the biggest thing in the news lately: the economy

What i'm wondering, is simply to hear what everyone thinks of it or how it's been impacting their lives. I personally, am paranoid to spend any money so in case i loose my job i'll have a bit of a cushion. I've been hearing of parts of the US that have miles of uninhabited houses all of which have been foreclosed on, several souplines have popped up in various cities, near my house 90% of the businesses in strip malls have gone out of business with only places like target, walmart, and home depot still seeming to be doing alright, meanwhile the economy is crash-crash-crashing.

How is it effecting everyone? does anyone live next to any tracts of housing that have been hit relatively hard? I've seen the pictures but never heard what it must be like in proximity to that. Hows everyone dealing with it? what caused it? what will fix it? I'm just curious how it's effecting everyones lives? i haven't lost my job, don't own a home, and am still on pins and needles over this piece of negative history taking place, which is getting worse by the day.

The day im posting this, the dow jones went down nearly 300 points to 6700. In october it was scraping 14000. I'm no economic expert but that is a massive, massive chunk out of the world economy and trumps 911 in historical significance. Does anyone have any stories about it? how are yall dealing with it? opinions?

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

or check out my: Blog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Linguini is offline (n.) pasta in long, slender, flat strips. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I am very sad since I'm going to college next year and have to find money.

♥♥ SKETCHBOOK ♥♥ BLOG ♥♥ PORTFOLIO ♥♥ dA GALLERY ♥♥

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.
    - Albert Camus

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm using the negative economy and resulting bad job market as an excuse to not have gotten a job at any of the major studios on my first round of submissions. Maybe I wouldn't have gotten anything in the best economy, but having an excuse helps me to keep the chin up.

I fell into an unproductive rut last Spring when I came to stay with family after I'd used up my unemployment benefits while finishing portfolio and submitting work. I'm coming out of it though and looking forward to the rest of the year.

For me it's almost a case of things being so bad they're good. Since we're losing jobs by half-a-million or more a month nobody is pressuring me, finally, about when I'll get a real job, (and married and producing grandkids) and the benefits for those of us who've been laid off keep getting extended and sweetened so that the "$5,000" I headered a thread with last month is now more like $10,000+.

The back bedroom at Mom's could have a bed in it but instead I've set up a pretty nice studio and in place of rent I've been adding equipment. In place of a bed I'm using an aeromatress. I decided I'd rather sleep in a studio than paint in a bedroom. I feel like I'm gearing up to make a pretty nice run at taking my presentation up a notch.

I think this will be the first time in my life, since graduating from a disapointing artschool that I'll know what to do, how to do it, and have the time and resources to get it done up to whatever level I'm capable of. Aside from the general "improve skills/portfolio" agenda I'm looking forward to experimenting with this 'digital painting' I've heard about, as well as just dropping the Hammer in the gym. (...currently built like the Michelin Man)

I don't know when the economy and job market will bounce back, but I look to be in the best position possible to make a move when things start rolling again.

...and while I feel like I've worked pretty hard overall, I do feel lucky for the support that I'm lucky enough to have these days. Good Luck to anyone else affected by all of this.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Art supplies seem more expensive than what they used to be. Plus, my parents don't have as much extra money besides bills and crap. I recently haven't had any canvases and I'm really trying to convince them to buy me more watercolor paper. (luckily my art teacher is letting me make a canvas)

We were so close to becoming homeless so many times. When I go off for college, I'm reallly aiming towards scholarships. I don't think loans and a job would be enough.

I've already tried to find a job to just start saving up, but so far no places around where I live hire at 15. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I figured someone would ask this question sooner or later...

Well, Im kicking it at home, gearing up to go to Ringling in the fall (thank God im going in as a sophomore, saves me 40 grand) so Im a little intimidated. About a week ago, a bombshell hit my family: My father starting this friday will lose 42% of his income, meaning our family now has to get up and move fast before my parents start dipping into their retirement and life savings. So it sucks big time.

However, this won't stop me from pursuing my dreams, just a huge detriment. I have no fear that I won't succeed after Ringling. I think I'll be just fine.

Representing Ringling College of Art and Design Class 2012

Blog
    (its pretty rad)

Current Sketchbook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Equality72521 For This Useful Post:

chriskot is offline non-dishwasher safe, keep away from open flame Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As the VP of a really tiny company, my dad seems to be doing more work recently. Last year his company had seven people. They had to make some layoffs because of the economy, and now it's just him, his boss, and his boss' brother doing the work of seven people.

Not too many problems for me yet, but I imagine finding a summer job is going to be pretty difficult.

★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆
    SKETCHBOOK | BLOG
    ☆★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oi this is horrible to hear so many fellow artists on the brink of being homeless as well as starving. luckily, my hubby and I are renting, he works in corrections so there's always a need for them, granted we only make 23 grand a year, with a baby it' pretty tough but better than nothing. I am just feeling so bad for all those people that will loose even more of their money, jobs, homes. they will be in my thoughts and prayers during this troubling time. as will all of you guys and gals here on ca. we may not always see eye to eye on a lot of things, but i love you all so much, and want you all to be safe and sound.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt6b71c.aspx

Spaztastic's world of junk
    And The-SSG-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named!!!
    Realitychecks SB LakeLands SB Me,Myself, and Me again Vehkt's

11. The Following User Says Thank You to spaztastic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far the economy going down has only affected the fact that absolutely no one will hire me, even when they had their "Now Hiring" sign in their business for months now.

Luckily my family is helping with my school payments (I'm not going to go into that), and will be helping me when I leave for AAU in the fall. The dream's still alive, just a little harder to get there. My parents are also moving because my father is getting a new government job, so it's been a weird time for our family as it's been for everyone else.

It will clear up soon, the economy won't completely collapse and will grain strength again. It's all written right there in history.

Last edited by Ryuartyi; March 2nd, 2009 at 11:35 PM.
    "Wake up. Work hard. Stop being a loser." -Dave Rapoza

[ DeviantArt Gallery ] :: [ Inexorable Artistry ] :: [ CA Sketchbook ]

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryuartyi For This Useful Post:

Wooly ESS is offline personal reinventor and observer of life Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "This too shall pass"

The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wooly ESS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good for me, people are still playing WoW. Keep it up!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m@. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I live in Canada. I haven't seen anything like what you describe vis a vis rows of foreclosed houses or any businesses closed.
    Things seem pretty much the same except for people on the news wailing about the economy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also to add, the restaraunt industry has really taken a huge hit from lack of sales. Im a server at a national italian chain (not olive garden) and no one goes out to eat much anymore. Since people are pinching pennies, that usually any kind of tip is not necessary. For instance, this past Valentines Day was supposed to be the busiest day of the year, but our sales for that day dropped about 5 grand from last year, and consequentially tips are down. I roughly made 2 grand a month working about 30 hours a week and that has also dropped to about a thousand bucks.

Moral of the story, help boost the economy by tipping well (to those who deserve it)

Representing Ringling College of Art and Design Class 2012

Blog
    (its pretty rad)

Current Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well my wages were frozen...which, considering the alternative isn't all that bad considering it'd have only been another .50 cents per hour at most. They changed the work Christmas party to a luncheon (so they wouldn't have to pay for alcohol), but it's rumored that was possibly due to underagers getting drunk last year. This is the slow season where I work, so regardless of economy my hours would have been cut anyway (although we are doing slightly better than last year so far), so I can't complain about that either. I'm not particularly afraid of spending money, just don't have much to spend.

Positive impact for me: interest rates on my loans went down. XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Linguini View Post
    Well, I am very sad since I'm going to college next year and have to find money.

So far, financial aid and student loans haven't been hit that hard. While many schools have cut budgets, on the whole, it's a far better time to be a student than an employee.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meloncov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My family recently opened a restaurant, and you would think that in this economy it would be suicide, but our location is key and we've been getting pretty slammed, although all of that goes to payroll/rent/expenses. We were also lucky to have the local newspaper run two articles on us for free (pretty decent articles as well). It's my mom's business and we've both been working our ass off to keep it on it's feet. The last few months have been especially hard because I was also juggling 5 classes and trying to pull together a portfolio to apply to art college. But now that my applications are over with it's such a huge weight off my shoulders.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to hemP For This Useful Post:

m@.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What happened? This happened: http://vimeo.com/3261363

Thankfully, I live in Norway and we're not as affected as the states... also, I'm a student and live on scholarship/student loan for now anyways.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kab For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The MMO industry is somewhat intact -- which is just insane amount of luck that I ended up on one of those companies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeea and the Money-System seems to work better in WOW than in USA

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kfeeras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My state never recovered from the tiny recession we had after 9/11, it has been 8 years since we have had any growth at all. Our unemployment it the worst in the nation. 2/3 of our major industry is currently on life support and a constant stream of misinformed crap comming out of pundits and politicians has convinced the rest of the country that they would be better off if we all just dropped dead.

About a year ago I got a Job at Ford Motor Company (I tried GM first, but they didn't let me in...looks like I dodged a bullet on that one). When I started work here this building was absolutely packed, I think at capacity there are probably like 5000 engineers working here. I bet that there are less than 1500 now.

I'm working on my Mechanical engineering degree and I'm actually a co-op now, I'm literally afraid to get my degree because once I do I can't be a co-op anymore and I doubt I'll be able to find work in this state (and despite how bad it is I don't want to have to move away).

What is so much worse about all this is the how negative public opinion of us is. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to see my boss dragged before congress for a pointless hearing to get a loan, while hundreds of billions are given out to Financial Companies who don't have to explain themselves at all.

It figures right when things are finally, FINALLY starting to turn around for the automakers (as far as MPG, quality and saftey of our products) the bottom falls out of the economy. I mean things have been so bad and I've spent so much time struggling to hold onto my job and keep up with school I haven't even drawn anything in a long time. This is actually like my first post in almost a year.

Well...I guess I should end this with a sales pitch: If your buying a new car in the near future PLEASE consider a domestic (If you have any questions about Ford's products I could probably answer them for you). Sorry about the sales pitch but I have to give it a shot.

Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

33. The Following User Says Thank You to wiggum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It has affected my jobseeking rather horribly in the fact that many places aren't hiring new staff. It's also hurting my parents, who are losing chunks out of their superannuation, which really sucks since they both retired a couple of years ago. Unfortunately what happens to the US economy seems to greatly affect Australia too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RyerOrdStar View Post
    I live in Canada. I haven't seen anything like what you describe vis a vis rows of foreclosed houses or any businesses closed.
    Things seem pretty much the same except for people on the news wailing about the economy.
    Yeah, same here.

I haven't seen any physical evidence of it, just a lot of people on the news running around with their heads cut off and an over abundance of american commercials about investing your money.

I'm sorry to hear that down south it's so much a reality. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendigo View Post
    My state never recovered from the tiny recession we had after 9/11, it has been 8 years since we have had any growth at all. Our unemployment it the worst in the nation. 2/3 of our major industry is currently on life support and a constant stream of misinformed crap comming out of pundits and politicians has convinced the rest of the country that they would be better off if we all just dropped dead.

About a year ago I got a Job at Ford Motor Company (I tried GM first, but they didn't let me in...looks like I dodged a bullet on that one). When I started work here this building was absolutely packed, I think at capacity there are probably like 5000 engineers working here. I bet that there are less than 1500 now.

I'm working on my Mechanical engineering degree and I'm actually a co-op now, I'm literally afraid to get my degree because once I do I can't be a co-op anymore and I doubt I'll be able to find work in this state (and despite how bad it is I don't want to have to move away).

What is so much worse about all this is the how negative public opinion of us is. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to see my boss dragged before congress for a pointless hearing to get a loan, while hundreds of billions are given out to Financial Companies who don't have to explain themselves at all.

It figures right when things are finally, FINALLY starting to turn around for the automakers (as far as MPG, quality and saftey of our products) the bottom falls out of the economy. I mean things have been so bad and I've spent so much time struggling to hold onto my job and keep up with school I haven't even drawn anything in a long time. This is actually like my first post in almost a year.

Well...I guess I should end this with a sales pitch: If your buying a new car in the near future PLEASE consider a domestic (If you have any questions about Ford's products I could probably answer them for you). Sorry about the sales pitch but I have to give it a shot.
    Yeah, i find it interesting how automotive executives are dragged before congress, however, AIG execs are free from scrutiny. My personal opinion, the UAW should form alliances with the Teamsters and the Longshoremen and shut the whole motherfuckin system down. And tell Congress and the President, "here is the end game!"
    peace

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My technical skills have been a way of making secondary income during these times.

I've seen a lot of people laid off before the holidays including a manager I liked very much. My aunt is unemployed right now in another state, and in CA (as in the state) just get progressively worse. I have to worry about my safety now that crime is back up.

I think the "best" part was seeing a company newsletter about wages being frozen. We are quite understandable, our thoughts were "at least we still have jobs"

...next paragraph was "and upcoming staff reduction in certain operations..."

....fuck....

On the other hand no overtime has given me more time to concentrate on art studies, so I can feel a bit better about finally posting up a sketchbook on this site. I always wanted to, but most of my studies are done on the bus, with little time at home because of OT.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,375 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My main work is with clients who sue the government because they didn’t do their job and the government pays them to do so. I think I might still be busy for the foreseeable future.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few months ago, I found a part-time job at a local bookstore. I was lucky. Extremely! Not only does it put extra $$ in savings, gets me out of the house for 15-20 hrs a week (rural living does that to you), but it's also gotten me a few commissions.

However, our town is lucky. We're big on BUY local. It's helped a LOT. What hasn't is that our town is also home to Hewlett-Packard and they're laying off another group of employees. The HP campus has become a ghost town, btw.

The other campus, Oregon State University is doing okay, though.

My SO is a chef of a local restaurant/bar. THey've been kicking ass. A few of the local restuarants/cafes are doing VERY well. Can't say the same for the chain restaurants at the other edge of town. The Borders in town is also not doing well - but our bookstore (the largest local bookstore in the area) has been holding up well.

What IS helping my SO and I is that we went solar last year. That's helped tremendously in utility savings and still brings us tax credits (we've got two more years to go, too). Becoming more self-sustaining overall has been helpful (besides solar, growing a garden, fruit trees, using biodiesel for the car, etc.).

However all that: Oregon is at 9.9% in unemployment. We were at the highest in the nation for unemployment; not sure if that's the case anymore. It ain't pretty out there.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to smugbug For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriciaS View Post
    However all that: Oregon is at 9.9% in unemployment. We were at the highest in the nation for unemployment; not sure if that's the case anymore. It ain't pretty out there.
    California is at 10.1% http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,3811550.story I think it's higher in LA County.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    California is at 10.1% http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,3811550.story I think it's higher in LA County.
    I really feel for you, my neighbors to the south. Not at all good times right now.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to smugbug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kab View Post
    What happened? This happened: http://vimeo.com/3261363

Thankfully, I live in Norway and we're not as affected as the states... also, I'm a student and live on scholarship/student loan for now anyways.
    wow! anyone who is having trouble understanding what the hell happened with this credit crisis, check out the video in the above quote that Kab posted. I had a bit of an idea of what happened, bits and pieces, but the above video really breaks it down in simple terms. I can safely say that i kind of get what happened. I reccomend watching it if you are curious as to the cause of this whole mess, and what all of the vocabulary in the news really means.

Props to Kab; that video is a great find.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

or check out my: Blog

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I think is interesting is for all the talk of the foreclosures, who did or didn't "cause" the credit crisis, the finance industry, bailouts, etc...There's been very little talk about where the people have gone that have been kicked out of their homes. In a cursory search of google, I wasn't able to turn up any current information about how much the rate of homelessness has increased since the housing market went bust. However it seems the news has noticed that tent cities are on the rise.

"Homeless encampments dubbed "tent cities" are springing up across the US, partly in response to soaring numbers of home repossessions, the credit crunch and rising unemployment, according to a report. "

In terms of how it has effected me. I'm happy to report that I work for an independent game developer who actually saw business increase fairly significantly last year and who is working with one of the most profitable publishers in the business. So things have been pretty stable for me thankfully. However I have several friends who's parents have been laid off from jobs they've had for a long time. The housing market didn't really blow up here in NC like it did in Cali or Florida, and for whatever reason the loan issues don't seem to be as bad here. Although I've noticed large numbers of newly built commercial structures, strip malls, and whatnot standing mostly empty. 1 or 2 lonely businesses eeking it out surrounded by empty shells.

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.