I'm incredibly lost, and I'm in dire need of some real advice.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy I'm incredibly lost, and I'm in dire need of some real advice.

I just joined this site though I have known about it for a while. My name is Brandi, and I'm 18 years old, currently not in school for many personal reasons that I am not willing to discuss... Anyway... I am sorry if I'm doing something wrong by asking this, or posting this here, I have no idea where to post this. I know you all have a lot of tutorials and I was looking around and just got overwhelmed. This entire site, its just wow! I don't know what to do because I don't know what to look for.

But anyway. I have been drawing all of my life, and I have to say, I'm embarrassed and ashamed of myself. I've never been given any sort of instruction. I've never really been able to leave my comfort zones. I get too attached to trying to draw "cute" things and I've realized that I don't know ANYTHING about:

>anatomy/proportion
    >lighting
    >coloring in general

I couldn't draw anything other than an animal if my life depended on it. (And even then, its still terrible)

I don't have any money, so traditional wise, all I have is cheap lead pencils and copy paper for drawing. At one point I owned some Prisma colored pencils which I spent all my birthday money on and my younger sister destroyed every single one before I could even get a good handle on them. What I do have is a wacom tablet in the smallest size available, and adobe photoshop CS2. I know how to barely get by trying to color and mess with layers, but in reality I can see that I don't know any basics at all. And this is why I need help. I feel like I need to start over.

Where am I supposed to start? What do people learning to become good artists practice drawing the most? How do I learn better anatomy? I've been seriously distressed. I ask my boyfriends opinion and he tells me my art is "bland and one-dimensional" And I took it as an insult for a long time but he's right. I don't know how to get out of this pathetic comfort zone that I'm in. I don't know why but I just don't see myself improving at all... I'm just so incredibly lost......

Art is my life, its the only thing I've ever been partially good at but I'm just so unhappy with everything that I do. Even when I draw the things that I like the most I feel this strange emptiness. I know I just joined this site, and I know none of you know or care about me... but I'd really just like for someone to give me some sort of advice on what to do... I need some sort of foundation.... Sorry this is really long too... I wont post any pictures for right now but if someone needs to see what I draw for reference of where I am I could do that... I have a photobucket and everything and I know how to post images....

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't let it make you miserable. Art should be something from which you derive joy. It's only supposed to be a nightmare if you're trying to earn money out of it. If it makes you unhappy, do something else! One skill you need to gain in order to improve is the ability to be critical about your own pictures and recognize faults yourself. You can do this by comparing it to the type of art you aspire to produce, and analyzing what makes it better than your own effort. Analyse what it is that you admire in a picture, and think how you might emulate it.

It will help also to have fresh eyes cast over your pictures. You will have to post some stuff in the critique section. That's the only way anyone will be able to offer you specific advice. However, long-term progress depends upon being your own harshest critic. One can't rely forever on other people's prompts and suggestions.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dashinvaine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you're new to the forums, please read this thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79774

I think the rest of these may be answered in Art Discussion or Lounge. Will move your thread.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dashinvaine View Post
    Don't let it make you miserable. Art should be something from which you derive joy. It's only supposed to be a nightmare if you're trying to earn money out of it. If it makes you unhappy, do something else! One skill you need to gain in order to improve is the ability to be critical about your own pictures and recognize faults yourself. You can do this by comparing it to the type of art you aspire to produce, and analyzing what makes it better than your own effort. Analyse what it is that you admire in a picture, and think how you might emulate it.

It will help also to have fresh eyes cast over your pictures. You will have to post some stuff in the critique section. That's the only way anyone will be able to offer you specific advice. However, long-term progress depends upon being your own harshest critic. One can't rely forever on other people's prompts and suggestions.
    First of all, thank you so much for your input. You're definitely right. I do love art though, I've been drawing since I was 2... I guess with art, its a "love-hate" relationship. Sometimes I feel miserable, and sometimes I feel incredibly happy. It's not something I'd want to trade for anything else though, most definitely. I suppose I will start putting things in the critique section when I can... Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Post a sketchbook, people will be queueing up to tell you how much you suck.

Seriously though, post some work, nobody can tell what's iffy until they see your work.

Oh yeah, welcome to the monkey house.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know how you feel, I felt the same way not too long ago.

Something that really helped me when I was first starting out was Andrew Loomis books. You can get them for free here:
    http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?cat=1
    Read through them, study them, do the exercises he tells you to do. A good place to start for anatomy is "Figure Drawing for all it's worth". "Creative Illustration" also has a lot of good stuff about perspective, line, tone, color, etc.

Above all else though, and people will tell you this over and over again, practice practice practice. Draw from life, draw from life, draw from life. Cram that into your head and draw everything you see. If you want to draw human figures, if you can't sign up for a life drawing class at some community college, go out to some coffee shop or library, or whatever, and draw people. Draw your family members. Draw your dog. Draw your own hands. Draw your shoes. Draw everything.

If you don't have access to live models, you can use this site to do gestures. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.
    http://www.posemaniacs.com/?pagename=thirtysecond
    It's a good way to get practice quick gestures.

If you find yourself getting overwhelmed, break down what you want to improve. For example, if you want to improve your line quality, focus on that. If you want to improve your sense of tone, do lots of value studies. Constantly analyze your work and see where you can improve. There's always some way to improve.

Look at other people's art for inspiration. Go to the "images that inspire you" thread. Go to the "Favorite Artists in Alphabetical Order" thread. Go through people's sketchbooks, go to the finally finished section, etc. Keep a folder for all your favorite artists, and save their images so you can always go back and look at them. Also, don't just look at concept artists or illustrators only. Study Art History and find your favorite artists from Art History. Keep an open mind about things. Don't just focus on what you think you like.

Read through the stickies on this site, there is tons of valuable information here. The "edges" thread by elwell is really good. http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51913

Read through Seedling's threads: "Perspective 101", "Concept art 101" and others. http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108180
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81332

Read the "back to the basics: an FAQ regarding the foundations of creating art" thread. http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...c+creating+art

I hope this helps, and that it doesn't overwhelm you even more. Cheers, and good luck!

Oh, and start a sketchbook here. That way people can critique your work and help you along.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Sun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Post work.

This place isn't nearly as scary as it's rep suggests. Post work and we'll suggest how you might make it better

Edit: or ignore it, your call. Lots of artists here really know their stuff but lots of us are merely opinionated noobs.

You'll have to make these decisions for yourself.

Last edited by Flake; March 2nd, 2009 at 08:46 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Flake: Don't worry, I -do- plan on posting some things. Thank you. I'll admit I was very scared about coming here, because I -have- heard ... things... <_< But thank you.

And @bandaidboy12

Oh my god, I don't what to say other than, thank you so freaking MUCH. Your reply was entirely helpful and I REALLY like the links, thank you so much times infinity. You have no idea how happy you've made me and how relieved I feel to hear everything you just told me. I definitely will do lots of practice, and start a sketchbook soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I know there are a ton of people who will disagree with me, but I think one of the best ways to learn is to copy.
    To an extent, we all learn through imitation.

Find an artist you like, and just straight up copy one of his/her pieces.
    You can't call it your own, but I sure bet you'll learn a lot!

Do this LOTS of times, with LOTS of artists.

In time, you'll find that you have built up a visual vocabulary in your head consisting of all the little things you picked up from these artists.
    Take that vocabulary, and learn to write your own poetry with it.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DSillustration For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DSillustration View Post
    I know there are a ton of people who will disagree with me, but I think one of the best ways to learn is to copy.

In time, you'll find that you have built up a visual vocabulary in your head consisting of all the little things you picked up from these artists.

You might definitely be on to something there. I haven't even realized it but when I was younger I used to copy drawings out of comic books almost daily. I think that much of my foundation skills in terms of drawing came from that experience. Of course I was a lot younger and didn't do art for a living or worry about being original as much as I do now but I definitely think that copying could help an artist that's starting out. Heck I think it could benefit just about anyone trying to improve.

Barndi, just post up a sketchbook and try not to worry so much

Just my 0,02€

-Juhani

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Juhani Jokinen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,277 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    conceptart is scary? i mean james kei's avatar is pretty tough, and there's an old cat we should probably have on a leash... but CA scary?

if you dig art then you'll be fine on this site. you don't have to agree with everyone or be a professional. just keep a positive attitude about art and learning and the community will support you. well unless youre into like... racist baby killing art or somethin'... then NO MAN, I AINT GUNNA SUPPORT THAT SHIT. you better take that junk back to racistbabykillers.com where it belongs.

i had something else i was going to.... oh right about the whole not feeling comfortable posting work thing. listen we all start somewhere. there is a lot of people who are ashamed of their art when they shouldnt be. as long as youre trying hard and putting forth an honest effort no one is going to knock what you do. it also helps drastically for people to offer advice if they can see where youre at instead of giving obscure generalized advice into the dark, so to speak.

also be sure to take advantage of the site as a rescourse. if you like someones sketchbook, feel free to drop them a line. most likely if youre polite you'll recieve common treatment. its better to post and ask than to remain silent and uninformed. the critique center is invaluable in offering free wisdom from other artists, don't be afraid to use it.

Last edited by Grief; March 3rd, 2009 at 04:03 AM.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post
    conceptart is scary? i mean james kei's avatar is pretty tough, and there's an old cat we should probably have on a leash... but CA scary?

if you dig art then you'll be fine on this site. you don't have to agree with everyone or be a professional. just keep a positive attitude about art and learning and the community will support you. well unless youre into like... racist baby killing art or somethin'... then NO MAN, I AINT GUNNA SUPPORT THAT SHIT. you better take that junk back to racistbabykillers.com where it belongs.

i had something else i was going to.... oh right about the whole not feeling comfortable posting work thing. listen we all start somewhere. there is a lot of people who are ashamed of their art when they shouldnt be. we all start somewhere and as long as youre trying hard and putting forth an honest effort no one is going to knock what you do. it also helps drastically for people to offer advice if they can see where youre at instead of giving obscure generalized advice into the dark, so to speak.

also be sure to take advantage of the site as a rescourse. if you like someones sketchbook, feel free to drop them a line. most likely if youre polite you'll recieve common treatment. its better to post and ask than to remain silent and uninformed. the critique center is invaluable in offering free wisdom from other artists, don't be afraid to use it.

Your first paragraph made me giggle. No, I draw things like, disney fanart, anime, and anthros... I guess I should say I come from (as the Enyclopedia Dramatica people like to call it) DevianTART. *cough* Where I've picked up a few bad habits... (Some good habits too though!)

Thank you for your advice and definitely I will take advantage of this site as much as I can. I guess I was only scared of coming here because I know this site is pretty much for the "grown ups" (figuratively speaking) when it comes to art. I also tend to be a very paranoid/naive/hesitant type of person so maybe it's just me. But I see that the people here aren't scary, just very insightful, helpful, and mature, and I was wrong to be afraid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Learning to draw is like learning how to drive - first you don't know what all these sticks and levers did, but you learn one thing at the time and all of sudden pulling all these sticks and levers came automagically and it becomes second nature.

Focus on one thing at the time, be curious, soon you will notice that all those things you struggled with in the beginning comes easy and new challenges arise.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to CGMonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    my suggestion - start by drawing blocks. Simple childrens blocks come in great, simple geometrical shapes. Make arrangements and draw them.

Then look up Bridgeman's anatomy books and study them, mixing with practice from life and imagination - when Mentler finally sends out his DVD's on anatomy, definately save up for those. I certainly am.

Those should both be projects to devote alot of time to.

Another good step after that is a portrait a day, or more (just look up Algenpflegger's sketchbook and be inspired).

Next, look at a ton of other art, like Dos Santos said and copy (which really means study). But don't just copy them - put them in folders like "great color combinations" or "great nighttime colors" or "great poses/using the body expressively" or "the smallest face that still shows an expression" or "great closeups that still have a detailed background", or "strong emotional images" etc. - figure out how great artists wrestle with these problems.

Make a list of ideas as they come to you for good art images. Sketch from life, sketch outdoors, sketch whenever you can. You don't have a child yet, so you have free time. Use it! It won't last long, and at 18, your time's already running out!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

sfa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    I don't have any money, so traditional wise, all I have is cheap lead pencils and copy paper for drawing.
    That's sufficient. The important thing is to draw from life. Without paying anything extra, you could go to a local cafe and start drawing people with those materials. You could use those same materials and practice perspective. It's nice to have fancy stuff, but basic fundamentals can be practiced with as little as a elementary-school-quality pencil and printing paper!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    meh just run with it.

If you feel too overwhelmed, avoid the Finally Finished board until you are confident enough. And avoid any sketchbook threads with 4 or more stars. Just until you become less pathetic. When I first joined I thought I knew it all so seeing all these great artists work was therapeutic.

Make a sketchbook and upload 'any' work you make. But make sure the piece is not just a scribble because the thread is still public to over 100,000 people.

Come and join in some of the useless debates in the Lounge too. Can be a distraction, and cause a ban if you become too emotional, but a great distraction nonetheless.

Also post works in progress in the sketch and WIP's forum. Finished work in the critiques forum.

This place is far too scary...oh wait that's just my sketchboook.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DSillustration View Post

In the documentary "Gonzo" someone talks about Hunter Thompson copying The Great Gatsby over and over to learn "the music of F Scott Fitzgerald" I think that's really interesting considering how much of an original Hunter is generally held up to be. I'm not saying that he wasn't, just that his path to that originality wasn't just doing his own thing all the time. He was keenly aware of the need for craftsmanship. Too often nowadays we're hyper concerned with "being original" that the idea of copying something seems totally the opposite of what you should be doing, but the reality is that's how it used to be done. You want to learn to paint? Copy a bunch of masters first. After a while, as your control of the craft becomes more second nature your true expression will emerge.

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Cthogua For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @CgMonkey: That would actually be a bad analogy specifically for me, seeing as how I don't have a license, nor do I know how to drive. I'm actually extremely afraid of getting behind the wheel, and had a very bad experience in drivers ed when the instructor screamed at me and made me cry in front of the other guy who was learning with me.... But even still it makes sense and thank you.

@TASmith: Thank you for that. I'm really not up to date on any of the popular artists of today, or even of the past. I plan on getting some art history books as soon as I can, because I know that's something I need to study. And you are right, I don't have a child, nor do I want one till I'm at least 30! I'd have a job if I wasn't going to be moving in at least a month, but really I do have a ton of free time.

@Cthogua: I don't know about "Gonzo" but I know of the great Gatsby... I also see your point and I agree, and thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    don't spend precious money on art books when the net has free images: www.athenium.com

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Start with the very basics. A cube, a cone, and a sphere.
    Cezanne once said that all art can be broken down into those three shapes.

Practice drawing those until you can make a sphere that looks round, a cube that looks square, and a cone that looks symmetrical.

Then move up to actual things made out of those 3 basic shapes. Start simple with a coffee cup, or fruit. Strive to be accurate. SEE the shapes and the values of light and dark (which make shapes, too). Practice drawing SHAPES. Once you can accurately draw a shape, you can then work on shading it properly to give it depth, and coloring it properly to give it life.

But it all boils down to being able to draw accurate shapes, live or photographed, real or imaginary, mechanical or organic.

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to madster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    screw cubes. who the heck wants to draw cubes all day. pencil and paper and copy stuff that tickles your pickle (elwell's and any sane person's advice) and copy it well. copy masters or copy life or copy instruction manuals it's all the same. be a machine. skip this and you will fail forever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry Brandi. Just draw, anything and everything. That's what I do. Heck, I'll draw on anything, at this point.

I started, recently, in the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. Talk about an eye opener. Trust me, you probably don't suck as some of the stuff I have to critique on a weekly basis. Honestly, I thought, and still think, that I suck REALLY bad. Then...I look at some fellow students work. I then realize, I don't suck that bad.

You can draw whatever comes to your mind, but...SEE it, be it, and do it. Hey, your first drawings will suck...it's part of the process. But, by doing the process, you will begin to get to the point where you can draw anything you can visualize.

Boxes, spheres, and cones are great places to start. But...do not get too caught up in them. Go outside and snap a picture of your house, and print it...copy it over and over. Your learning perspective at that point.

Also, google is your friend!! There are plenty of places that have one-point, two-point, three-point perspective teachings...for free. Start with one-point and work upwards. But, never fail your creativity...allow your imagination to run, and you will see the pieces begin to fall in place... And, trust me....that's a cool feeling.

Also, check your local library. Library cards are free. And, somewhere in your system there are books about drawing that are begging to be read.

Before you know it, you'll be able to draw whatever you want. Will you be a master? Hey, Picasso learned new things about art all the time. You might master a process, but art is a life long journey...Enjoy the trip.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.