WIP Samurai girl, help needed
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: WIP Samurai girl, help needed

Terekjet is offline Hector Herrera Garcia Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP Samurai girl, help needed

Well, another attempt to improve my skills, and what better to ask you!
    This Samurai is a leader of an armi, and on this pic will be leading his guys to the battlelfield, i especially want to practice with the exagerated facial expression and with the coupling of the characters with the bg.

How is looking for now?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the middrift kinda read masculine woman, or effeminate male. the bottom parts of his pex peeking underneath his breast plate doesnt help either, they kinda read like female breast too me. The right arm seems too skinny compared to the left arm. his right arm also seems too be too relaxed considering the action pose. With all that considered its a nice start. Keep working on it.

Last edited by samrayiii; March 2nd, 2009 at 01:58 PM.
    My reason for being here is to be the best ...
    so I shake my head when fellow artists critique me saying "Hey, you're working too hard ... just try the [half-assed] approach instead?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it IS a woman ^^

Anyways thanks for the other tips, now u say, her right arm seems a lil tinny.

how do u see the basic light treatment guys?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watch out! The hair looks really out of place and more like a wig right now. Maybe look up some refences

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updated, changed the hair and the face a little.
    I having problems with the face shadows, im afraid to darken too much.
    The armor is getting redesigned a bit.

What do u think mates?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Big improvement. Is she meant to look European? because she does, especially for a Samurai.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, the right arm seems too relaxed for the pose and emotion going on through her face. Her whole body should be tense.

Her left hand however, looks too manly, those are some very prominent fingers for a woman, no matter how muscular she may be. Usually fat enlarges fingers, not muscle mass.

Her left forearm also seems a bit larger than the right arm.

Other than that I like the way the armor is headed, good job on the hair as well.

“Stating the thing broadly, the human individual thus lives usually far within his limits; he possesses powers of various sorts which he habitually fails to use. He energizes below his maximum, and behaves below his optimum”

James, W. (1899). On Vital Reserves. New York: Henry Holt and Co.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A few things. First: do you have reference? Trying to do anything from imagination is hard, but if you're trying to do a screaming face without reference you are, quite frankly, out of your mind. So hopefully you've got some reference, but if you don't: get some.

Your skin tones are looking a little... undead. All of your shadows fade to a very cool blue tone, and there's basically no warm reds in the figure. Without those warm tones your character looks a little bloodless. Warm it up! In fact, that should help the piece as a whole, since you really don't have any warms in the whole painting. Should make the figure pop a fair bit.

The hair looks like it has potential, but watch out for flattening it out too much. Don't be afraid to let it recede as the head goes back.

Gotta admit, I love that chest plate. Nice design, and nice painting.

Watch the foreshortening on that arm. There's some problem areas in there. I've gotta ask it again: do you have reference?

Good work. Keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, i have to say, never used references, just my imagination, ill look for some , it sure will help.
    Yes the foreshortening is getting me crazy, and the fingers, as u said, are too big, ill look what can i do to fix it.

On the other hand yeah its a samurai but no matter if she looks european, that was the intention.

Thanks for all ur advices guys!! lets see if today i can improve a bit more the pic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, definitely need reference. Also, keep the lighting in mind while blocking in the shapes for the hair. The fingers have really soft edges, kind of an airbrushed look, which is strictly no-no, since the forearm has sharp edges. Sharper edges should be closer to us, softer as it recedes. Keep going at it, you've got a decent blueprint - just try to vary up the color a little. It doesn't need to get super colorful, but even maintaining the dreary look you can throw in a pretty good palette. The skin in particular needs some life.

-Sid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updated qith some work, especially on the armor, still a lil confused with the light on the armor, but ill keep trying...

Added some warm tones to the skin, lets see if it works better, i adjusted his arms a lil too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work. Her eyes look somewhat out of the expression, though. What I mean is that, during a scream, the entire face kind of pops outwards. In this one, her mouth is going out but her eyes are squeezing in. I suggest widening the eyes a bit vertically.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're going a little over-enthusiastic with your range of values. It seems every shape goes from very very dark to super bright. Try being a little more sparing with the areas where you really spike the huge value variation, especially when its within a tiny area. Keep contrasty areas for things that really need it, like a shiny material (metal?)
    An example of this would be on her skirt - every wrinkle has just as dark shadows and super bright highlights as the one next to it. Fabric is a matte surface - it probably wouldn't pick up this much variation at all, much less on every minor fold and wrinkle.
    Also, are you adding shadows and highlights with pure black/white, respectively? This may account for why your skin looks so 'undead' as someone else put it, and why this picture is rather cold feeling, and lacking in any variation of colour temperature.
    Anyway, hope that helps, keep working! :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah Ryn, ure right, i have to add some midtones , this is another update, i think im gonna start working woth the background , and will countinue with her when the background takes some life ...
    What do u think mates?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The textures and details look pretty amazing. This piece definitely inspires me to work at getting some Photoshop painting chops!

I don't want to seem unduly nasty, but, as others have noted in this thread, though, the anatomy is just wrong in places. Even allowing for some extreme perspective, her left arm is all forearm and she has no discernible ribcage or pelvis (sort of a tubular snake body). She's got quite a bull neck as well (not generally considered attractive on a woman.) 3D maquette render attached to show what I mean.

I'm not suggesting you need to be excessively mathematical about the anatomy, but you might want to consider using some reference next time, or at least paying closer attention to the way the masses of the body sit in space.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot! yeah, next time im going to take references for sure.
    i dont know why, but for some reason i ever was reticent to use references, but well im starting with this, and seeing that all the good people does, it hasnt to be that bad ^^
    For this piece will be a lot hard to "redo" the pelvis thing that u mention, but i will take in my mind for my next attempts
    Your words was really apreciatted, thanks for your time! it helped me a lot, many thanks giacomo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just think the right arm is too thin , and this figure may be so manly !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, one more update, too many things wrong, i know, but next time i will have a better start, with some references!!!!!
    im decently satisfyed with the results... not much but, well, i think isnt that bad at all.
    At i wasted a lil more time than normally with the bg... ^^

Last edited by Terekjet; March 9th, 2009 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know this might be a bit late but, as far as I know, samuri would never wear their hair down. From what I know, they were actually pretty strict about wearing their hair up.

If you want to go for a war torn, 'was up but fell out of the ponytail look' that could certainly work. But you would have to better indicate how it was once in the pony tail.

As I said though, it might be a bit late in the process for a reworking like that.

Also, as some people mentioned, her skin is really blue. Warm it up! I mean she's asian, so her skin tone should be quite warm. And also it looks she has a transparent sock over her left hand. Try and seperate the forms a bit better.

Great start though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks great, the detailing is amazing. The hair down thing did strike me as being quite an obvious mistake but if its just for fun it doesn't really matter. Also I think you are relying too much on simply making the colour blacker when you want to make shadows. Colour (especially in the midtones) varies a lot on skintones especially with such a bright light like that. You would have some very saturated reds and orangy colours on the edges of your illuminated flesh, and loads of other variation too. At the moment the skin seems like one colour. It also has a very pale yellow tinge to it which makes her look ill.
    Oh, and I think I said already but her armour is fucking sick!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.